The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP - 4-track signal but not recording
Old 9th January 2014
HELP - 4-track signal but not recording

I am currently doing a session on a TEAC A-3440 4 track, i have recordable signal on channels 1-3 but for some reason nothing is being recorded onto channel 4 even though signal is registered on the VU meter - any ideas? Thanks in kinda stuck!

Will
Old 9th January 2014
Gear Guru

been a long time, but there are 4 buttons on the lower right side, I think they enable recording for each track. The track(s) you want recorded need to be up and the other ones down.
Old 11th January 2014
Thanks but it definitely wasn't the record enable buttons, they are all working perfectly. The issue is/was something else I can't figure out... Strangely, channel 4 didn't work for the rest of that session - then after leaving the tape machine off overnight I powered it up the day after and channel 4 started working again - what the hell! If anyone can explain a possible cause for that I'd be grateful!
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

Dirty head is my first guess. Secondly, if it's a 3440 (not 3340) it's got a bazillion relays inside that cause all kinds of gremlins like you describe. Sometimes pressing the buttons in the middle of the unit (Function / Output Select) in and out rapidly a few times resolves the problem. Does Sync work on track 4? If you are monitoring track 4 and recording on one of the other tracks, can you hear track 4? If not, it's probably not the head because when in Sync mode you are using the record head as a playback for the track you are syncing to.
Old 14th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Dirty head is my first guess. Secondly, if it's a 3440 (not 3340) it's got a bazillion relays inside that cause all kinds of gremlins like you describe. Sometimes pressing the buttons in the middle of the unit (Function / Output Select) in and out rapidly a few times resolves the problem. Does Sync work on track 4? If you are monitoring track 4 and recording on one of the other tracks, can you hear track 4? If not, it's probably not the head because when in Sync mode you are using the record head as a playback for the track you are syncing to.
Hi man, thanks for your reply. At the time sync was also not working, it was registering signal in 'source' mode but not appearing to record (no meter, no sound in 'play' mode) in source or sync mode. Funnily enough though, I checked the tape the next day and the mic tests that I tried to record did get recorded, the meters were going and I could hear the signal loud and clear. Really strange, I think I should get my machine professionally checked some time soon Although I'm gonna take your tip and try poking the function buttons next time, it might just have been that.

Also want to get the A3440 aligned for RMGI tape. At the moment Quantegy tape works best for me. The RMGI seems to produce high freq dropouts with my current alignment, I made a thread about it if anyone would like to see I'll link it.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Typically when I hear that the meters work but no record I say dBx jumpers- they never get moved so they can tarnish. Next the reseat of cards in the bottom of deck and of course the heads need to be clean. There are not that many relays on a card maybe two and the reed relays are not that problematic. The motherboard like in the 30 series can also have issues- some of the feed thru solder joints will break with time and rough handling.
Old 15th February 2014
Hey guess what people who have been on this thread, I finally took my 4-track to the engineer and it turns out the heads were completely screwed! Nothing to do with the tape I was using. Weird as the heads looked fine to me, just goes to show how little I know. Anyway hes going to polish them down for me and Ill get another couple of years from them
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search