The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Struggling with Acoustic Guitar Tracking
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
So I figured out that 1/2 of my tracks were out of phase with the other half - I'm summing out through two linked Apogee Ensembles. I fixed that up with a latency compensation plugin (Voxengo). I reprinted the mix and have a link below. It's challenging for me to hear the difference so I hope this fixed it up.

https://soundcloud.com/antstudio/cal...setest/s-mlIai
What mic (s) are you using on the acoustic? I have to go back to my old school theory on recording acoustic guitars... I ALWAYS use a SM57 dynamic. Especially for acoustics that will blend to other instruments. I never have a problem. I do preamp the mic for better controllable gain... but that is my preference. One single SM57... others will disagree. I am not saying you can't get great acoustic recordings with condensors... I just find the SM57 is the easiest for me to bring an acoustic into a song. OR! perhaps you are using a large diaphragm condenser... try a smaller one... and again, use only one mono and then offset it from the middle in the mix. And additionally, use that EQ on the acoustic. bring down the low end almost completely and bring up the very high. Frequencies are too specific... just play with it... but when I do the mix, I like to hear my pick just a little. If I can't hear it... I bring the highs up more. good luck!
Old 13th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
What mic (s) are you using on the acoustic? I have to go back to my old school theory on recording acoustic guitars... I ALWAYS use a SM57 dynamic. Especially for acoustics that will blend to other instruments. I never have a problem. I do preamp the mic for better controllable gain... but that is my preference. One single SM57... others will disagree. I am not saying you can't get great acoustic recordings with condensors... I just find the SM57 is the easiest for me to bring an acoustic into a song. OR! perhaps you are using a large diaphragm condenser... try a smaller one... and again, use only one mono and then offset it from the middle in the mix. And additionally, use that EQ on the acoustic. bring down the low end almost completely and bring up the very high. Frequencies are too specific... just play with it... but when I do the mix, I like to hear my pick just a little. If I can't hear it... I bring the highs up more. good luck!
I used two SM57s in XY config. They are panned 1/3 to the left and right. I've checked phase on the guitar tracks and it seems OK. I also tested by muting one mic and centering it, which didn't change the sound a lot except for less width.
Old 13th February 2014
By Post #14 I think you've fixed the vast majority of your issues, even if you prefer a less upfront sound as in the later example, don't forget that tone you achieved, this is very useful for punching through a busier mix.
From here is just taste seems to me.

Oh and get some closed back headphones!
Old 13th February 2014
Some further tweaking on the latency adjustments. I think at this point I've cleaned up the audio chain and have insured that all channels out to summing are in sync. I had to adjust 8 channels by 4 samples to sync them with the other 8.

I'm not sure this is what Lance was referring to when he said something is out of phase, as it's a pretty subtle change to my ears, but I'm still glad to find this and clean up my audio chain. Thanks Lance.

https://soundcloud.com/antstudio/cal...phase2/s-A11Z9
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
I used two SM57s in XY config. They are panned 1/3 to the left and right. I've checked phase on the guitar tracks and it seems OK. I also tested by muting one mic and centering it, which didn't change the sound a lot except for less width.
Then my suggestion is to ditch the 2nd! I place the SM57 approximately 4 to 6 inches away from my Martin sound hole, but pointing just above... to the fretboard. Bring that level in HOT! but clam down on your strumming and playing when you are that close. If my rythm requires alot of fast changes and something harder, I back up a few more inches. Again, keep the acoustic mono and then place it offset, to the left or right of the center of your vocals. That's the way I done many acoustic recordings. I did attempt a Donovan cover album a few years back using a small Joe Meek diapham condensor... same setup and principle. It's ok, but to me I just think you can hear more of the buzz... whereas the SM57 dynamic kinda hides that buzzing of the strings and gives a better tone. That's just my opinion. But experiment! Heck, I've read that Willie Nelson recorded his Martin with a SE2000 condensor and sounded fabulous. I tried it and just couldn't get the tone and feel like I can get from a SM57. I guess I am just spoiled... lol. Good luck!
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear
For straight strumming try a cardioid mic like a Beta 58 or and Sm7B. Place out in front of the 12th and aim on an angle toward the sound hole. Way less issues in a mediocre room.
Old 13th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 View Post
For straight strumming try a cardioid mic like a Beta 58 or and Sm7B. Place out in front of the 12th and aim on an angle toward the sound hole. Way less issues in a mediocre room.
Funny I wondered about just this - an SM7B on acoustic. I was thinking I might like a less glamorous sound that might cut through for certain projects - somehow a 57 or 58 I don't quite get, but the wider range of the SM7B could be a good balance.

What kind of tracks do you find your using that approach for?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear
Anything with strummed acoustic. I remember back about 15 or 20 episodes of Pensados Place , he asked the guest what he used for acoustic guitars and he said " a 57 " . Dave was like " what ! no way. > The guy says thats all he ever uses because it just eq's a strummed acoustic just right.

A beta 58 or an SM7 with the high boost on has more top end than a 57.

A friend of mine did his whole cd with a lot of acoustic on it and when I asked him how he miced his acoustic……again….. a 58 !

Finger picking I use a LDC. Gefell 92.1 or a modded Apex 460.
Old 15th February 2014
OK, some (hopefully) final tests and tweaks on my system.

https://soundcloud.com/antstudio/california/s-YNoz3
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search