The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade from 1030A
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Nut

Upgrade from 1030A

I'm looking to upgrade my 1030a's to something a little more fullrange.
I'm having a hard time getting the bass right. i've tried the 1032a but my mixes dont tranlate well om those (my room i treated :-) how i looking at the Dynaudio BM15a.. what do ya' think? can you recomend monitors with good translation that go low. ps i also got ns10's

Z
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

In that price range and based on your criteria, I would suggest trying either Unity Audio The Rock, Trident HG3, Neumann KH 310, or PSI A21-M.
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks. I will try if i can find some of those to listen to.

other than that.
which monitors have a good reputation for great Translation?

Z
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

I always had great luck with the 1030a's. i miss them in fact.

z
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

try the s30 from genelec

If it was me ... I would KEEP those 1030 speakers
Old 29th January 2014
I went from 1030 to 8050. about 4 years ago.

But listening to older mixes, I found they translated very well.

When you are used to any decent monitor, I`m not sure if changing is an upgrade. It may work out for you but I dread the learning curve.

I still have 1030A though. I should really plug them in again.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks.
Maybe the grass is always greener....

How do you like those 8050 better ?

z
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Addict

I know you say your room is treated, but I gotta follow up on that - what are the dimensions, and how well is it treated? I'm asking because I've had a VERY similar situation. I use 1030A's as my main monitors, and was having major issues with low end translation. I was mixing in a pretty compromised room - 12'x12', monitors close to a back wall. It was thoroughly treated, but no amount of bass trapping and reflection panels can totally overcome the fundamental issues with a bad room and poor monitor placement. When I switched to a bigger mixing room and set up my monitors more appropriately my mixes immediately started translating - a night and day difference instantaneously. Same 1030A's, but no problems with low end now. This may not apply to you of course, but your question sounded familiar enough to me to put it out there.
Old 31st January 2014
8050 are better as in it is more extended range .Flatter. Better transient response etc.
But I also have NS10 and rely on both and a little cheap fm radio speaker to get the job done.

But I think the 1030A is good as an "only" monitor.
Old 31st January 2014
Neumann KH 310
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search