The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mixing console am I looking for? Mixers (Analog)
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Head

What mixing console am I looking for?

Hello,

I'm new to outboard gear and I've got a few outboard signal processors. I'm looking for a decent mixer under $1k to send buses out to from the DAW (Ableton Live) into the processors and back into the DAW. 8 Stereo Channels (Drums bus, Synth bus, Vocal bus, Guitar bus, Master Bus etc.) would be enough I imagine. A decent onboard reverb to apply as a send on a few channels on the console would be a bonus but not necessary. I currently have a firewire audio interface that has 6 TRS stereo outputs and a single stereo input as well as two preamps. I'm a bit lost on the matter and appreciate your suggestions.
Old 1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Brb
Gear Addict

a summing box
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Head

Names of brands and models would be grand. Soundcraft M12 for egs. looks decent. Analog > Digital, low noise, pro application. Although this is for my hobby, I've been mixing digitally with a mouse for well over a decade now but I've done it enough to -feel- the difference outboard and true analog signal warmth brings, especially when I work in 96khz, I want good sound out and good sound in. Thus far I've been using outboard gear one at a time where I use my limited audio interface to process and record a bus then switch cables for the next. It's a hassle obviously but worth the sonic bliss

Thank you for any suggestions to point me in the right direction and Happy New Year.
Old 1st January 2014
To directly address your question, in the way that you seem to expect, you might consider Mackie, Allen and Heath, Yamaha and the like. There is no shortage of brand names that can be suggested, especially if you consider used and new.

However, at the price point that you're aiming, there isn't anything that is going to bring anything super special to your sound that I know of. I suspect that you believe the often proclaimed assertion that any decent analog gear somehow imparts something that makes your recorded sound better. As an individual that works and has worked in audio recording and live sound production, as a professional in diverse situations, for the last 10 years, I have found that assertion to be completely false.

If you want your end listeners to experience the sonic equivalent of "warmth" it is found foremost in the way a production is performed, as well as the decisions made in pre-production with consideration for the individual instrument (and any amplifying equipment) configurations and musical arrangements. It's also found in the tracking location acoustics and the decisions made for how the performance is captured through the microphones, including which microphones are selected. Further, it is found in basic mix balance decisions with respect for panning and level balance. Beyond that it's your skills with basic application of equalization and any other signal processors you might choose to use. One of the last places worth considering beyond decent functionality and workflow is the whether to use analog signal processing, and which processors to use.
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply.

My statement about analog warmth was not that I was seeking that in a board but a brief explanation to my reasoning to switching to outboard gear, and that I want a clean, full signal in and out of the mixer that doesn't hinder the processing and a board that looks and acts analog. The end listener is me It's a hobby. There are too many brands and models to choose from and that's why I'm here Cheers
Old 1st January 2014
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelar View Post
. There are too many brands and models to choose from and that's why I'm here Cheers
Check whats on sale - it will work.

Gustav
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Hello, I've increased my budget to 4k and will spend more if I need to. I've gone on an analog spree and I now have 4 analog synthesizers and 6 outboard processors to run. I'm really clueless when it comes to mixers and cabling, but of course I want to retain 100% of the signal. Would a Summing Mixer like Neve 8816 fit the task.. and more possibly? Cheers
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

what console

The console for you is the one that is

Within driving distance for you

Testable

In good working shape

A brand and model that contains "off the shelf" parts. Make sure to do your research about this (you can easily find forums dedicated to every mixer worth buying will have one with people happy to help you). If you don't, you can be stuck with an expensive paperweight. BTW this includes new mixers. If anything, your better off buying an older, easily serviceable console, rather than an all in one box type of deal.

Rent a uhaul. or preferably the tow behind if you have a hitch ($20 a day!!!). Bring her home.

Make sure you save at LEAST 500 for cables/install/etc.

There are lots of great consoles to be had for pennies on the dollar. Remember many of these consoles were $30-50K when they were new. Try not to focus on a brand of you can. Look for the above criteria and do your research and you will end up with something awesome.

Patch bay/Moduler/includes cable (which can cost more than the mixer if you don't do your research) = Huge plus

p.s. Someone pn the internet will hate EVERYTHING, Neve and SSL included.

Have fun!!!
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have a Trident 16 channel for sale that can do this routing at your original price point. PM me if interested.

LINK
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

i do exactly what you do... i run 8 stereo groups "external effect" into a mackie 1642 and back... thing is i got my mixer dirt cheap. i would much rather get a soundcraft or A&H instead
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

I would need to have the console delivered, I don't have a choice there so unfortunately testing isn't an option.
Apart from cheapish or worn inputs and outputs, anything but the highest quality cables damages the signal right? I currently use cables from a reputable local brand but they're not exactly 'noiseless'.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelar View Post
I would need to have the console delivered, I don't have a choice there so unfortunately testing isn't an option.
Apart from cheapish or worn inputs and outputs, anything but the highest quality cables damages the signal right? I currently use cables from a reputable local brand but they're not exactly 'noiseless'.
if ebay is an option, look at mixwizards from A&H, maybe an old soundcraft ghost/delta...

you need some good noiseless cables. If you ar eon a bidget, hosa makes wonderful cables. hands down some of the most reliable cables i have ever used, coming from a gigging standpoint.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

If I were in your position, I'd get an old Ramsa mixer for about $100 and call it a day. The old ones are supposed to add some heft to a mix. I've heard some A/B comparisons just using them as summing mixers that left me amazed.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Head

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. I've settled on a temporary A&H mixer to do the job while I find space to setup an analog desk. I can't wait. As a temporary mixer, I was going to go for the Mackie VLZ3 (I think because VLZ4 just came out?) which was on sale but their videos defaming other mixers in unorthodox situations was a turn off.

@Funny Cat, I've never heard of Ramsa before and I couldn't find one anywhere but they do seem very cheap for what they do. Very interesting!

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search