The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lauten Bock Blackspade - yes, another mic thread
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Lauten Bock Blackspade - yes, another mic thread

So I'm girding my wallet for my first big boy mic, and I'm curious to hear if any have had the chance to compare the Lauten Atlantis, the Bock 195 and the Blackspade U17 (also have the Miktek CV4 in the back of my mind).

My present set of LDCs includes a Rode NTK and a Stellar CM6. Both do an admirable job but each has their issues as well.

The mic will mainly be used for male vocal duties on rock and pop songs--though it could also be put to work on acoustic guitar, the occasional amp cab, and as a room mic.

Go.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

The Lauten is the one I'm saving for. It's versatility makes it a no brainer. I heard Bock was ending production on the 195 so might want to see what's in store for that.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

All are great and each is its own animal, but the Blackspade with a Thirsch Capsule is something special!
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear
Not used the other two but can tell you that the Lauten Atlantis is not only extremely versatile but is also something special
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Black spade u17
Old 31st December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor View Post
can tell you that the Lauten Atlantis is not only extremely versatile but is also something special
+1 Lauten really excels in their price range (or really double the price). Look into the Peluso P12 (brighter) or Peluso 2247 (less bright than P12) also.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Just focusing on the companies for a moment, I can personally vouch for the excellent customer service provided by Lauten. I have no experience with the others, and they may be just as good to their customers for all I know, but I am certain that buying the Lauten will also purchase really outstanding service for the mic into the future.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
, but the Blackspade with a Thirsch Capsule is something special!
+1. A really great mic. Been living with mine for a year now.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks, guys. This helps a great deal. I think I'm leaning toward the Lauten for both its versatility and its reputation for customer service.
Old 31st December 2013
I have a Blackspade UM25c and a Bock195 in my locker. Will definitely get a UM17, last time I used one it was on a dobro, in figure-eight mode. It sounded wonderful to me. I hardly had to do anything in the mix. For a grand, this mic is a great option with a mojo and sweetness.

I suggest the UM17 with the upgraded parts, because it is a great system, and well I favor that option over the Chinese Made Capsule and Power Supply/Interconnect. That is what I would buy, as it is like a fine aged wine. I would probably go even further with it and add an Accusound ACX7 cable, as I think it sounds better than the GAC-7.

The UM17's circuit is a hybrid of the M49 and U47 [a blend of the tube selection and transformer design] and well, Oliver's transformers have a creamy harmonic shimmery vibe to them, I think they really only compare with vintage offerings because of their sound. The UM17/UM17R/UM17B have a really great tonal approach, to my ear.

I have heard all the Lauten Microphones in action, and I would not hesitate to recommend them. Brian is a great guy to speak with about his designs. I recommend chatting with him. Great guy. These are different from what is out there in the market place and should provide a versatile palette with the voicing/tone options. Also, they are designed using human ears. This is very important to me, personally.

The Bock 195 is also a really versatile microphone [it also has Oliver's transformer in it] and it gets used a lot on my ampeg SVT, but I love it for outside kick and electrics combined with a dynamic. Its a very nice sounding condenser, also with a voice switch that gives you two different flavors to use. The top end is a little shiny on the Bock, compared to these others which are smoother in that department.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Adam, thanks for that info!
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

The 195 very usefull for bass &/or fok in fat mode but the 17B is the go to for many vocals & acoustic apps.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

...since you already have the CM-6, I would rule out the CV4 (redundant), but I would recommend adding the Pearlman TM-1 to your
list of potential options...pre-owned TM-1s go for $1200-1300...IMHO, a better option for a 47-ish vibe than the UM-17 (if you're not prepared to go with the Thiersch M7 capsule upgrade)...the low-pass switch on the TM-1 offers another voicing making this a versatile mic for vocal tracking...plus Dave's customer service (he'll even tweak the mic to your liking) is top-notch!...
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Lauten customer service is incredible & I have yet to find something I don't like the Atlantis on.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Addict

Wow - just got introduced to the Lauten microphone line - the smoothness of the Atlantis is just the think I was looking to get from ribbon and vintage mics....

Does anyone have a good experience with the Clarion as a cheaper alternative to the Atlantis? I watched a Puremix recording tutorial that uses just one Clarion on a singer and his acoustic guitar and loved how it sounded. That particular singer had a higher voice, and was wondering how the Clarion handles the lows....

I want to get the Altantis but I just purchased some stuff, a Vin-Jet among them, and it's hard to part with another thousand euros right now.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

An update on my decision-making process.

Thanks to the fine folk at Vintage King, I was able to demo both a Pearlman TM-1 and a Lauten Atlantis. While both were exceptional mics, I felt the Atlantis better fit my voice.

The Lauten is an amazingly flexible mic. The multiple options--the 3 modes, pattern switching between omni, cardioid and fig 8, and the cut and boost switch--there's a few months worth of sounds and applications to explore in this mic.

Everything I've tried it on (so far)--voice, acoustic guitar, electric gtr cab, hand claps--it killed. Awesome mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search