The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors from USA? Studio Monitors
Old 26th December 2013
Here for the gear

Monitors from USA?

I'm in New Zealand looking for some good mid-range monitors, however, I could cut costs by around 2/3 by importing from USA (gear that costs 3k in NZ would be 1k if I were to import, AFTER SHIPPING, CUSTOMS AND TAXES.)

As far as I can tell I would need to use a step-down converter to change the voltage from 230v to 110v, and after that things should work as normal.

Anyone here have experience with these types of schemes?
Old 27th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Depends on a few things. I was looking at getting an amp for passive speakers and shipping was 3 times the cost of the amp itself and then I would have still needed a step down transformer. I ended up buying a secondhand amp and monitors locally.

Depends also on what brand/model you want, some actives may have 110/240V switching capability...

Rohan
Old 27th December 2013
Here for the gear

I was looking at the Yamaha msp7s with the sw10 sub. I have calculated that these would total around $3000nzd if I were to import (including shipping, taxes and a step down converter), compared to around $5000nzd if I bought locally. These don't have a switching capability.

I've tried to find secondhand models in NZ but its hard to find any that would suit my purposes.
Old 29th December 2013
Gear Addict

Relevant: Yamaha MSP7 Monitor Import Mistake
Caveat emptor.
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Equator audio d5 oh -wait sorry I think they are made overseas
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Addict

Every case is unique, definitely worth trying to weigh up the whole cost of importing including the bad exchange rate that you'll get from paypal if you use it.

Also worth making sure you've found the best possible shop price where you live. I have a pair of Focal SM9s in for just over $4000 aud in Australia that had just been on display at a dealer, and Mackie HR824 MKIIs for $1100 from a local store as well. Both new and I've never been able to find overseas options for these that would end up cheaper even second hand.

Sometimes you pay way more locally sometimes you don't. Neumann's are surprisingly well priced in Australia as well at the moment.
Old 5th January 2014
tko
Gear Nut

Studio Monitors

Hi there OP,

I'm not sure if this breaks the forums rules (tbh I have never read them), but we sell studio monitors and at a very fair price in models where we can. We have Dynaudio DBM50's for $1499NZ for the pair through to Genelec 8050s. All with full NZ warranty!

STL Pro Audio

Cheers TK - STL Audio.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Head

Stepdown converters don't and won't convert the 50/60hz, this can cause issues in monitor performance. That said, while some monitors claim to have no user switchable voltage you may actually find there is indeed one internally. Some Dynaudio monitors are an example of this.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Have you looked at the same monitors here in Oz and how much they would cost to get across the ditch?
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Head

Imported some Adams A7X from thomann. Good price on shipping and 230v.
I have had speakers damaged in the post though (within nz).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search