The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just bought yamaha ns10's
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Maniac
I just bought yamaha ns10's

I just bought yamaha ns10's. What now? I have a pair of Acoustic Energy 22. But they are similar to the ns10's(they play down to 60hz). I'm planning to buy a second pair for the low end. Do you guys have any suggestions? Barefoot micromain 27 sounds tempning. I mix/produce many different genres. But mainly rock/pop.

How many of you use only the ns10's? And with a sub?

My room is getting there. Still in the making!
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

I use my ns10's for mainly judging the mid band mix contour with the guitar. I do reference back and forth after mixing for the cheap speakers and I do have a sub that I toggle in/out at that part. i have two other pairs of speakers: a set of set of 4312's and a small P.A: 4722's with 4719's (all JBL) and a small TV speaker in mono in a box I made.

I also put a paper napkin folded in half over my tweets of the ns10's as there is a small band that is boosted and the inverse was revealing in the mix and attenuating this way kept my signal chain uncluttered and eq's have a tendency to induce phase shifts that messed with the reveal .
Old 24th December 2013
When i had NS10's years ago, i used them as a 3rd of monitors, meaning i sued them for checking mixes, not mixing mixes. I do not like them for your go to monitors.
The NS10's do not measure up for today's standards.
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

We occasionally use NS-10s as alternate speakers for reference. A long time ago I used them as mains and did so for years but it's not something I'd ever do again. There's simply too much guessing.
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Nut

Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

The MM27s are a very good all-rounder, and as they are nice and neutral-sounding, they are a good contrast to NS10's. Another good neutral-sounding option for you would be any of the models from PSI Audio.

Or you could chose something like Quested, ATC or Geithain monitors if you're after something that sounds more "natural and effortless" instead of the "neutral and revealing" properties of Barefoot and PSI.
Old 25th December 2013
I sold my ns10s last year for a pair of D5s. Much happier now without all the ns10 hype and drama.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search