The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aux output from mixer to a laptop for a newbie: mono/stereo and implications
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

Aux output from mixer to a laptop for a newbie: mono/stereo and implications

Dear all,

I am a newbie and I spent the last week on the web to understand how mixers work (forgive also my bad English, I am Italian).
I am planning to buy the Yamaha MG82CX mixer ( Amazon.com : Yamaha MG82CX 8 Input Stereo Mixer with Digital Effects : Unpowered Audio Mixers : Musical Instruments ) since I am looking for a compact solution with a AUX output to route 2-3 mics channels to my Laptop. Basically what I am trying to do is mixing the instrumental tracks from my laptop with the vocals coming from 2-4 singers that sing on 2-4 mics and send this to amplifier-speakers. Then I also need to route back the signal of the 2-4 mics to the laptop and have it on three different channels, since I have a program that analyzes the 3 channels and perform the Fourier transform to see if the pitch of the singers is
on tune or not. It looks that the Yamaha mixer allows me to do that by using the aux controls. However I read here ( compact mixer with stereo aux output - Harmony Central ) that the aux output is mono. Forgive my ignorance, but what does this imply? Am I still able to see 2-4 different channels once plugged in the mic input (that can work also as a line -in input) of my laptop?

thanks
Alberto

Last edited by venexiano; 24th December 2013 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: mistake on title
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search