The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Virtual Rack Mount?
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

Virtual Rack Mount?

*Disclosure* This is merely a concept, which may come off as redundant to most. It is, however, something that I feel could be of benefit in the near future to the growing digital age/marketplace.

As we all know, over the past several years, mixing ITB has become more and more of a "normal" thing, even if it's only partially ITB. (it is, certainly, still not the most popular thing to do.. ) I think that we can (almost) all agree that at some point in our careers, however, we've used software plugins; if for nothing else, the convenience factor. Not having to snap photos or create diagrams of particular settings that we found to be useful for a particular project, or to conceive a particular sound, alongside the fact that we are able to run multiple instances of the same plug-ins without actually buying multiple plug-ins, simply makes these tools convenient to us. (Not to mention the cost factor.)

Over the past couple of years, I've debated on integrating a multi-touch DAW controller, such as the Raven Slate MTI/MTX, into my personal studio for duties outside of the facilities that I work in. With the rise of "ultrabooks" and "touch capable PC's," however, I discovered a breed of multi-touch monitors. These monitors could be connected to, and used with, either a Mac or a PC. So I thought, why not grab one of these babies, start up Pro Tools 10, and see how it works?

I was quickly set back when I noticed the fact that I could only control one fader at a time..

The next DAW that I tested was Reaper, which did allow for the control of multiple faders.

Although Pro Tools would've been highly preferable, I noticed some potential in having a touch screen monitor - using it as a virtual rack mount for plugin control. One of the main benefits of plugins is the aforementioned ability to run multiple instances of the same digital signal processors. As we know, it certainly can be a major setback at times trying to control these plugins; and for those who don't own a separate hardware controller, it can really be a bummer using a mouse for these duties.

Workflow, ease of use, and looks (yes, looks) can be as key to an engineer as the looks and design of a microphone are to a recording artist. (No, I am not saying that looks are everything. There are good sounding toys that look.. not as appealing as others, yet work great for some of the applications they're used for.. queue the FMR RNLA, RNP, etc. But we are, after all, gear SLUTZ! heh)

Here's an image I took of this mere concept in the works.

Of course, these screens may be stackable, and integrated into vertical, side car rackmounts. But, for the purpose of this thread, I feel that having them integrated into our desks would be much easier to use.

Yes, I know that it seems rather simple. And yes, I am aware that some of you all may have possibly attempted this before; but having a couple of multi-touch monitors integrated into a desk on either side, such as the right hand side of our desktop setup, could be very beneficial in controlling plugin parameters, in the same way that we are accustomed to controlling the knobs of our beloved hardware as pictured below.

I am also aware that the Raven Slate MTX allows users to tweak plugins; however, for those who simply want plugin control and already have a dedicated controller or console for the adjustment of faders, this could be beneficial.

As a bit of a side note: This thread wasn't intended to point out anything that is already blatantly obvious. It isn't meant to knock, or convince others not to purchase products such as the Raven Slate MTI/MTX. It was posted in order to 1. Give all of my fellow slutz new ideas, outside of just mouse and monitor control, 2. possibly allow developers the chance to toy with an idea I've had sitting in my head for the past few years, and 3. allow for the discussion of any "outside-the-box" (no pun intended) ideas that you all may have, and/or wish to share! Please, no bashing! And Happy Holidays to all!
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

I apologize in advance for the picture of the monitor I used for this concept being uploaded sideways! Not too sure how that happened
Old 25th December 2013
Here for the gear

Bump
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search