The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen and Heath Mix Wizard as a summing mixer?
Old 23rd December 2013
Here for the gear

Allen and Heath Mix Wizard as a summing mixer?

Ive read that these are good little mixers. What about using them for summing? I was thinking of going out of my RME UC into this little mixer and recording the sum. Any thoughts? Will this make the sounds more open or improve by adding some harmonic distortion? Will it improve over the summing in ableton?

thanks
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

In my extensive experience with Allen and Heath mixers, they are great utility pieces of gear but this will only bring noise and extra complication to your setup. I've tracked live recordings with them but any modern DAW will sound a lot better in my opinion.

See if you can borrow one to try it out.

Tim
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear
Seems to be an idea out there that analogue summing is always going to sound better - so just grab the cheapest console that was designed for live use and plug it in.

I think people have missed the point that analogue summing on those great classic albums was usually done through some great big vintage Neve or API console - and that's what made the sound that is worth the effort.
Old 24th December 2013
I think it's an excellent idea. It should not be worse than the A&H Zedr 16, which has good reviews on this site.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search