The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advise on Outboard Reverb and Delay Units
Old 23rd December 2013
Here for the gear

Advise on Outboard Reverb and Delay Units

I am currently looking at purchasing a small studio which has a list of several reverb and delay units I would like some advise on. The units are as follows;

T.C. M5000
Sony DPS-R7
Yamaha SPX 900
Orban Dual Spring Reverb
Alesis Quadra Verb G.T.
Digitech TRS-24.
Roland SRV-330 Reverb
Roland SRV-330 Delay
Korg SDD 1000 Digital Delay
Korg SDD Delay

I was thinking of using at least one unit as a dedicated reverb for the HP send whilst tracking. What are peoples thoughts on this option, and which unit would be best suited?

As for the other units I am trying to decide if they are all worth keeping or would it be best to sell some or all and buy one higher quality unit to replace the less favourable ones?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old 23rd December 2013
WAD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableTrumpet View Post
I am currently looking at purchasing a small studio which has a list of several reverb and delay units I would like some advise on. The units are as follows;

T.C. M5000
Sony DPS-R7
Yamaha SPX 900
Orban Dual Spring Reverb
Alesis Quadra Verb G.T.
Digitech TRS-24.
Roland SRV-330 Reverb
Roland SRV-330 Delay
Korg SDD 1000 Digital Delay
Korg SDD Delay

I was thinking of using at least one unit as a dedicated reverb for the HP send whilst tracking. What are peoples thoughts on this option, and which unit would be best suited?

As for the other units I am trying to decide if they are all worth keeping or would it be best to sell some or all and buy one higher quality unit to replace the less favourable ones?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
reverb for tracking? ..I'd probably just go for the cheapest one you can get away with tbh
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear Addict
That's quite good & versatile collection of fx. Get all of them hooked up to the console and experiment what you like the best and use that for the cue mixes or whatever. I assume you won't be tracking & mixing at the same time, right? So it does not matter what reverb is used for the cue mix as you can always change it for mixdown or still keep it if you fancy. Having said that I think a type/choice of reverb and other processing can affect the performance so I would keep that in mind. Makes sense?
Old 23rd December 2013
If this is just for comfort when tracking and won't actually be recorded it doesn't matter much. But of that list I would choose the TC. Some of that other stuff is quite funky and noisy, and would be a real distraction to me. A lot of performers don't want reverb when tracking anyway. Another option you can consider is putting up a room mic or pair of mics. That gives you real room ambiance, which can make communication a lot easier. I would not recommend long reverbs that interfere with the groove.

I would probably sell them all - I know they are classics that have some character and uses for mixing, but really I would rather just have one M7 (or a dozen M7's) or use plugins.

It depends on your workflow and aesthetic vision though - it would be fun to keep them all and give them a spin now and then. I would be interested in the unusual quirky things they do - non-linear reverbs and unusual dimension FX etc ...
Old 23rd December 2013
I'd keep the delays, the SPX 900, the spring and one other reverb and sell the rest to buy a high-end unit like a Lexicon or a Bricasti

Nick Froome
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Keep the TC M5000, there is your Highend unit!
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Dont see a highend unit in this list
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
The M5000 is definitely a high end unit.
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

? The TC M5000 goes for $2k used price now and TC is offering $5k trade in value for it twords a TC M6000 through 2014. How much money do you need to spend before a verb becomes "high end"?

The Sony R7 now goes for $300 used but was a $2k street price when new. That unit does a clean lush sound that rivals anything out there.

To the OP, for just providing a little verb in a headphone mix you could use just about anything like a $100 Behringer. Ebay will give you current used market prices for your list of verbs and there is plenty of info on them in threads here using the search button.
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Have you ever used an M5000?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search