The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to expand the I/O RME UFX?
Old 19th December 2013
How to expand the I/O RME UFX?

I currently have a RME UFX interface and I am using 2x focusrite mkii Dynamic to extend the I/O. This way I can take full advantage of the totalMixFx 30 in 30 out setup.

My problem is I don't care for the focusrite mkii dynamic. I don't need the compressor or the preamps.

How are other people getting all the adat I/O capability out of the RME UFX?

Surely the focusrite isn't the only thing out there I can use to take full advantage of the RME i/o capability.
Old 19th December 2013
I have Audient ASP008 with ADAT out connected to UFX. Works flawlessly, sounds great. Incredible value and features especially for the price, not that it's compromised in any way. Also look into API A2D, you can use it's AES out and get up to 30 ins with additional 2 great pre/ad combo (with ADATs you have 2 x 8 and 12 in the unit so only 28 ins).
Old 19th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I have Audient ASP008 with ADAT out connected to UFX. Works flawlessly, sounds great. Incredible value and features especially for the price, not that it's compromised in any way. Also look into API A2D, you can use it's AES out and get up to 30 ins with additional 2 great pre/ad combo (with ADATs you have 2 x 8 and 12 in the unit so only 28 ins).
Those don't have the outs that I need as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm not sure how the aes gives 30ins. That's something I need to look into.

Main thing I need though is to have the adat IN and OUTS
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Antelope Orion would give you 32 I/O in one unit.

Or (even though I don't really love Motu) you could look into their 24 I/O models if you were on a budget.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
I currently have a RME UFX interface and I am using 2x focusrite mkii Dynamic to extend the I/O. This way I can take full advantage of the totalMixFx 30 in 30 out setup.

My problem is I don't care for the focusrite mkii dynamic. I don't need the compressor or the preamps.

How are other people getting all the adat I/O capability out of the RME UFX?

Surely the focusrite isn't the only thing out there I can use to take full advantage of the RME i/o capability.
I run my standalone pres [M1, Pacifica, ISA, BG2, Sytek (16 channels)] into an Apogee AD16X to UFX via ADAT, API A2D into AES (2 chan), Audient ASP008 into RME analogue 1-8 and then there are the 4 RME mic pres= 30 inputs. Clock UFX and A2D from the Apogee via wordclock.
Old 19th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Antelope Orion would give you 32 I/O in one unit.

Or (even though I don't really love Motu) you could look into their 24 I/O models if you were on a budget.
That Antelope Audio Orion 32 would work but I'm confused because it looks like the Antelope Audio Orion 32 is also an interface. How would I run both the RME and this at the same time. I mean which software would be used, would I even need to keep the rme ufx?
Old 19th December 2013
Here for the gear

Lynx Aurora 16 with the ADAT card option works nicely to add 16 I/O to the UFX. You'll need external pres.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That Antelope Audio Orion 32 would work but I'm confused because it looks like the Antelope Audio Orion 32 is also an interface. How would I run both the RME and this at the same time. I mean which software would be used, would I even need to keep the rme ufx?
You actually could use the ADAT I/O to bridge in the Antelope, I don't think you'd ever all of the Orion 32's channels, but you wouldn't be in a bad spot. Though honestly it might be best to trade up to the Antelope and flip the UFX in order to fund it.

At that point if you really desire Total Mix you could always get a MADI card from RME. (just might be simpler.)
Old 25th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
...it might be best to trade up to the Antelope and flip the UFX in order to fund it.
That's what I'm thinking about doing ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
How would you set up a madi card for the RME UFX+?

So that I could connect extra outboard gear once the UFX+ runs out of ins and outs?

Or what is the best solution here in 2019?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If you like the RME conversion, RME has a never of ADAT converters that will work blissfully with the UFX.
M16-AD and M16-DA would fill your needs.

It's a matter of budget though.
Most of the cheaper converters have built in preamps like the ADA-8200. The straight conversion stuff is usually more expensive (not to say there aren't preamp/converter combos on the high end)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Depending on how big of a hurry you’re in you might want to wait for the Cranborne 500ADAT to come out. You not only get 8 channels of conversion but an 8-slot 500 rack and some basic cue mix and monitoring capabilities. Looks like it would be perfect for a small hybrid studio.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ferrofish

Matti
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Ferrofish
This! The Ferrofish devices are really nice, no matter if you go for the Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX (I use these) or for the Ferrofish A32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown
I think the RME handles 128 MADI channels
I'm afraid it's 64 channels only
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
The RME handles 128 channels on MADI.
If you count 64 IN + 64 Out …. yes.
But I know that there is some level of uncertainty for interested people due to the fact that the RME UFX+ has optical AND coaxial MADI I/O … which in fact doesn't double the I/O count to 128 IN + 128 OUT.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

I recently bought the Ferrofish Pulse 16 to expand my RME Fireface UFX II. German made. Great unit.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I recently bought the Ferrofish Pulse 16 to expand my RME Fireface UFX II. German made. Great unit.
I added a Ferrofish A16 MkII to my UFX+ a couple of years ago, using MADI to connect them. It's been a flawless, bulletproof system that sounds great. The A32 is next on my list so we can expand channel count. Highly recommended.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
I added a Ferrofish A16 MkII to my UFX+ a couple of years ago, using MADI to connect them. It's been a flawless, bulletproof system that sounds great. The A32 is next on my list so we can expand channel count. Highly recommended.
I just have the plain ADAT one. I think it's the original Pulse 16...then they made the MADI one and there's another format one too. But yeah, mine is the straight up ADAT one. I think that's how to describe it. Nice unit.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I just have the plain ADAT one. I think it's the original Pulse 16...then they made the MADI one and there's another format one too. But yeah, mine is the straight up ADAT one. I think that's how to describe it. Nice unit.
Nice. That was basically my setup as well, using a regular Fireface UFX as the hub, which worked beautifully for several years. The problem came when a track arrived that needed a bunch of drums all recorded at 96K (which started to happen more and more often within the past few years).

Suddenly losing half my preamps through the ADAT became a big problem, as did rewiring mics to the preamps I most wanted to use [OK, what was Input 3 is now... uh...). The UFX+/A16 MkII combo connected by MADI doesn't even blink when those sessions come in - life is good!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
Nice. That was basically my setup as well, using a regular Fireface UFX as the hub, which worked beautifully for several years. The problem came when a track arrived that needed a bunch of drums all recorded at 96K (which started to happen more and more often within the past few years).

Suddenly losing half my preamps through the ADAT became a big problem, as did rewiring mics to the preamps I most wanted to use [OK, what was Input 3 is now... uh...). The UFX+/A16 MkII combo connected by MADI doesn't even blink when those sessions come in - life is good!
Sounds great. For me, I'm just recording at home for fun so 44.1 will be ok. I basically needed the extra i/o for 2x sets of speakers and mixing...having a number of channels of hardware eq and compression...as well as multi channels of preamp action. But I'm all set now. No more i/o required. I think.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I am using a UFX with two RME ADI-8 DS MKIII, which is an incredible combination. Especially the ADI sounds awesome for hardware inserts as it is so neutral...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
so MADI is definitely the way to go with expansion? Not the AES/EBU ports or optical? This is the one area my knowledge is lacking.

I don't need any more mic preamps I have 4 on my RME UFX+ and 1 in my Neve.

Just for high fidelity connection to mastering eq, mastering compressor, etc. I dont really know if it is best to stay all RME, if there is a benefit to it with TotalMix etc. or as mentioned above wait for some of the new MADI expanders to come out.

I know there's a lot out there, not clued up on the best brands for this type of thing and how they would react with the UFX+.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Martin View Post
This! The Ferrofish devices are really nice, no matter if you go for the Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX (I use these) or for the Ferrofish A32

I'm afraid it's 64 channels only
Quite like this Ferrofish! As I would probably only need 16. Not looking to sell a kidney for a Madi Expansion, or take up more than 3u/4u.

The SSL one is also decent.

RME AD and RME DA would take up 4u, not for me.

The MOTU 828es also looks okay.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Seems like everyone has given me MADI options and none ADAT or Optical so it appears MADI is far more popular.

How would you go connecting the analog gear to this then, is it cables like this?
https://www.synthax.co.uk/alva/analo...lr-male-cable/

So each MADI slot can take 8? on the AD/DA

This is all new to me, and a bit fascinating.
Old 1 week ago
Isn't MADi just superior in terms of bandwidth? For example, my Ferrofish Pulse 16 operates at 44.1...the Ferrofish MADI unit operates up to 96

Capej...I didn't give the MADI option. I went optical because MADI is devilishly expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capej View Post
Quite like this Ferrofish! As I would probably only need 16. Not looking to sell a kidney for a Madi Expansion, or take up more than 3u/4u.

The SSL one is also decent.

RME AD and RME DA would take up 4u, not for me.

The MOTU 828es also looks okay.
16 channels I/O with two RME ADI-8 DS MKIII would be two 2u.
SSL Alphalink is nice too, but not in the same league as the ADI...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The RME M-series (MADI) converters have the benefit of built-in remote control from Total Mix FX. They are really expensive though, that's why I went with Ferrofish 16 Pulse MX. By the way, they are very easy to daisy chain when you need to increase your I/O count, up to 4 pieces.

I have to confess that I'm a bit old-fashioned. I don't like Sub-D25 connectors at all which held me back from buying the Ferrofish A32. I rather use a truckload of individual TRS patch cables :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Martin View Post
...I have to confess that I'm a bit old-fashioned. I don't like Sub-D25 connectors at all which held me back from buying the Ferrofish A32. I rather use a truckload of individual TRS patch cables :D
and i though i'd be old-fashioned as i much prefer d-sub25's (which i started using in the eighties)...?

directout technologies is another serious contender - and most units (from various manufacturers) can be linked/daisy chained/used to extract whatever channel banks are needed.

long live madi!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
MADI is 128 channels. Usually one dual cable. 64 each way on one cable.

ADAT is 8 channels or less (higher freqs cut the channel count) per cable.
See, that's what I meant.
If you mention "ADAT is 8 channels" at the beginning of a new line, why don't you just say "MADI is 64 channels" on the other line. This confuses people. And if someone talks mixers, they would say something like "it's a 32 channel mixer" cause it has 32 input channels.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search