The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elliott Smith Rotary Piano Sound?
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Nut

Elliott Smith Rotary Piano Sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1ly1GMwwc

Hey everyone, the part I am referring to is at 3:41-3:45. In the background, you hear this whistley, rotary kind of sound. Does anyone have any idea of the name of this instrument?
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Nut

It sounds like a tack piano or some really old early 20 century organ.
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Nut

Hrmmm…not sure if it's a tack piano as those are a lot brighter sounding. They don't really have that kinda rotary sound to it. But maybe some sort of organ…i feel like this kind of piano has a distinct name though!
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Not 100% sure, but you can get that sound using a Hammond through a leslie with the stops pushed in with only the perc on. I'd say it's that or they ran the left side piano through a Leslie or simulator. Either way its a Leslie on fast or a simulator.
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamos6669 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1ly1GMwwc

Hey everyone, the part I am referring to is at 3:41-3:45. In the background, you hear this whistley, rotary kind of sound. Does anyone have any idea of the name of this instrument?
Rob Schnapf might be able to chime in. not sure if he still posts much these days
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

I think Jon Brion was involved in the recording of that track as far as I remember. He has a ridiculous collection of weird keyboard instruments.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Piano run thru the leslie
Better late then never.....
Old 5th February 2015
I love that piano part. I have often thought about the way it is just the perfect amount of notes- it's not a standard pianist playing with both hands covering up a ton of sonic space. It fits perfectly into the mix and leaves room for the other instruments.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah exactly, the song was pretty much all fleshed out and finished.
I think we added that when we were mixing it.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

I think it's one of the finest songs ever written/recorded/mixed. It's just perfect.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Guru

Lovely song, and lovely work Rob!
Old 17th June 2015
Here for the gear

The same way as Pink Floyd did it in Echoes ....
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

And countless others
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

Love the sound of Elliot Smith's tracks.

Pretty sure that's (as mentioned above) a Hammond. Almost certainly a real one through a Leslie given the production style.

I always find it funny some people classify a sound like this as "Lo-Fi" when in reality you could NOT get a higher fidelity (Literal Translation) track.

EDIT: Sorry, It didn't click til after my post that we have the man in the know in the thread (D'OH). Thanks Rob, fantastic work!
Totally suckered me into thinking it was a hammond. Goes to show how much the Leslie contributes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search