The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SRH840 headband issues
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Head

SRH840 headband issues

My headphone search continues. In doing more research and auditioning, I've been able to listen to many more pairs.

The Sennheiser HD600 is, I have to say, MUCH better to my ears than the Beyerdynamic DT880. After hearing some things through those phones, I felt like "AHA! My issues with the Beyers was not imagined after all!"

But ... I'll be in an environment where people will be making a lot of noise, and I need to hear my stuff. The closest sounding closed phone they had to the sound of the HD600 in stock was the Shure SRH840. What I thought was going to sound bass and treble hyped actually sounded very neutral. Not *as* clear as the HD600s, but close, certainly closer and with a better balance between lows, mids, highs than anything else I've heard in a closed can.

But man, that headband really feels like a brick on the top of my head. Is there a way I could flex it to loosen that up a bit/put some of the pressure to the sides instead of all at the apex of my head? I'd hate to think I'll need to use electrical tape to hold some foam onto the bottom sides headband so that the weight is distributed off that one point. Anyone have any experience with this? I hear the band is a common complaint, and man, I don't think I could sit with that thing on my cranium for hours if it doesn't get more comfortable somehow.

I'm also thinking I should hear the SRH940s, however, as much as people like those, they describe them as sounding like the DT880s. The Headroom graphs make me think they'd sound like the HD600, but then again, those graphs make the 600 and DT880 look similar too...

Thanks again, guys. You're awesome.
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Head

I've read things about people doing mods to their headbands to make them more comfortable, such as putting HD650 pads on there or doing other similar things like that. I'm not sure that I'd be in any position to do anything like that myself, plus, it might void the warranty.

But maybe the band will adjust over time? If only that center part at the top was higher, so that the band followed more of a steep downward arc at the sides instead of only putting pressure at that one point, it would be much better. Maybe one could glue a 650 pad right onto the bottom of it, and to hell with how it looks. But I don't gather that it would stay on.

Would there perhaps be something rigid inside the band that could just be taken out? Some other thing stuffed in there, short of doing a complete mod to it?
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

I use 2 pairs of these in 2 different environments several hours a day. I initially worried about the comfort but these days I don't so take from that what you will.

To throw a spanner in your works - they are good sounding for sure but the bottom end is a bit tubby and difficult to make decisions with, the Sennheiser 280s are better at translation results for mine.

I can't advise you where else to go but I personally would like to hear the Focals as speakers are their stock in trade.

Cheers, Ross
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

The 840's are great headphones for the price, but I find them a little uncomfortable after a few hours use. The headband is fine, it is more the earpads which put pressure on your ears. (They are quite tight, which makes them great for tracking as there is good isolation)
I have several pairs of headphones, and don't have this problem with any others.
Old 17th December 2013
Gear Head

I went to a different store to do more comparisons ... and the 840 they had THERE was *very* comfortable. What a huge difference just in going from one 840 to another. I didn't expect that.

I heard the Sennheiser 280 and wasn't digging it.

It's between the 840 and the 940. Man, they actually don't sound that different from each other, but the ways in which they do sound different make each one sound wrong after listening to the other.

What a pain in the ass those two beauties were being for me, LOL. They're both very good. The 940 doesn't sound like the DT880, just more like that than the 840. With the 940, I get some added clarity and sound stage but it's just missing some impact. The 840 has that impact, but a hair too much of it, and some atmosphere goes down.

The thing is, the Sennheiser HD600 I heard sounds, I believe, somewhere between them. But when I left the store and went to listen to the sample music in outside situations, everything sounded a lot more like it did when presented by the 840s.

This has me thinking a lot. If the 940 is technically flatter (some charts say so, others maybe not), but doesn't sound the way music will sound on anyone else's system ... I'm in kind of a pickle. I want both, damn it. :P Also, I had the thought that, whenever going from a little more treble to a little less, one will always feel they're missing something. Even if that lesser amount is actually more true. When I was in the car, I changed the settings to sound more like what I was hearing in the 940, and inevitably ended up changing them back because things just sounded better to my ears with that tiny bit more bass and less treble.

I can hear how the bass of the 840 might make it a little harder to make mixing decisions, but I don't know if that's actually a reason to get a phone that doesn't give as much response in that area. If everyone else is going to hear muddy, or just too much, bass, I'd like to hear it that way too.

But that's making assumptions about how others will have things set up. In the end, both models are very good, and the differences are not nearly as extreme as the differences going to other maker's phones. But as far as wanting the best ... it's hard to say. Golden Ears says the 840 is closer to target, Headphone.com says 940 is more flat, and Inner Fidelity could be read either way.

So ... to get the 840 knowing that there's a small hump in the bass guitars, or to get the 940 to hear things a little more clearly, but not necessarily with quite as good translation...
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

MXV I would seriously look a bit further and try others but to clarify some of my earlier comments - I don't enjoy pure listening on the Senny 280s as much as on the Shure 840s but the decisions are easier to make in them and I've mixed around 1000 songs on them as I teach in a prison and cans are all I can use.

The bass is difficult and I find I tend to mix vocals and leads too loud because of their "relaxed" presentation.

I bought the 840s to be hopefully better than the 280s but after a year of persevering I'm back to using the 280s more and more; actually I swap between starting with the 280s..

No answers sorry but that's my 2c

Cheers, Ross
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the input.

I may end up with a pair of 280s as well, or something more along that line. For now I went with the SRH840s because, all things considered, they sounded closest to the HD600s and also, when we hooked my Zune up to monitors, the monitors sounded more like the 840s than the 940s.

I understand that it might not be as easy to judge some levels, but surely it will be easier to judge others. I'm kind of keeping track of all the comments I've been seeing in case I find I tend to make certain "mistakes" in the phones.

When I finally got the 840s home, I was worried for a while because while the mid bass is fully present, the very low bass drum sounds weren't quite where they needed to be. But then I switched from my Zune to my X-Fi, and suddenly that deep bass was right up there, and in fact it's only now that I can kinda hear the very high end being a little relaxed. They're fully in my face on the Zune. Perhaps just these things will keep me from making so many errors; just knowing that good or bad amplification makes such a difference (and the X-Fi isn't nearly as good as the NRV10 or 003 I sometimes have access to). I don't know how the 940s would sound with decent amplification, but I do know that the monitors sounded more like the 840s when all were coming from the same source.

I get the sense that the 940s would be better for someone who wants to hear extra details but isn't counting on them so much for frequency balance.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear
MXV is correct IMO - the 940s are great at picking up all the detail but I wouldn't use only the 940s to make frequency judgements.
๐Ÿ“ Reply