The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think about Audix OM11 / OM1 ? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 15th December 2013
Here for the gear

What do you think about Audix OM11 / OM1 ?

Well, I was going to buy a sennheiser md431 but I finally got an Audix OM11 for less than half the price. I didn't find one sigle thread talking about this mic, so I wanted to know what do you think about it - sound quality wise.
I was talking to an ebay user about his used md431 and he said "if you can't afford the $300 for the sennheiser, go for the OM11 which is selling for less than $200, many people won't be able to tell the difference between them, you'll thank me later if you buy it... so I went for the audix for $180

What I expect from the mic, and it will surely deliver: low handling noise and really good feedback rejection.
But I don't know what to expect when it comes to sound, Is it clear and defined? Audix site says it is suited for rock, with a little middle freq boost, I imagine that would be nice in a band situation to "cut through", with the plus of being a baritone. Has anyone tried one? (or the old OM1?)
Old 17th December 2013
Here for the gear

Nobody?
Old 28th May 2015
Here for the gear

Okay. I'll bite. My answer: I don't know. Can you clearly define clear and defined?

I have two OM1s. I asked the guy at the music store for a couple of good all-purpose mics and he sold me the OM1s. Said I wouldn't have any problems. I haven't. They work fine. I used them for all the vocals and instruments on all these songs:

http://www.thefullertons.net/tales-o...nted-mesa.html

Tracks 7 and 8 might give you the best sense of how "clear and defined" they are.

What puzzles me is how a lot of online ads that say OM1 in the headline call them OM11 in the text.
Old 28th May 2015
Here for the gear

Okay, guess you've waited long enough.

My humble: Dunno. Can you clearly define "clear and defined"? I asked the guy at the store for a couple of good all-purpose, no-frills dynamic mics, and he pulled out a pair of OM1s. Said they were like 58s but better, for just $20 more each.

They work fine.

No one has ever said anything to me about how mics sound from the cheap seats. Either they can hear me or they can't.

I don't know what the difference is between an OM1 and an OM11. A lot of online ads that say OM1 in the headline say OM11 in the text. Same mic?

On my website, I've used the OM1s for all the vocals and instruments: Here's a page you can check them out on: Tales of the Enchanted Mesa - The Fullertons

Tracks 7 and 8 will probably give you the best sense of how "clear and defined" they are.

Delmont
www.thefullertons.net
Old 28th May 2015
Gear Addict

The OM1 was the original OM mic released way back in the 90's, The OM11 is the re-issue for fans of the original mic. The only difference is the original mic had a custom transformer and the OM11 is transformerless. Both have the machined brass body and are heavy! They both have the proprietary VLM capsule which is a big part of the clear and defined sound.
Old 8th December 2018
Here for the gear

I have owned both the 1985 OM1 and the newer OM11. My OM1 was ripped off by some special musician during a stage change, and I miss it dearly. I can tell you that there is definitely a difference between the older OM1 and the OM11, the output was definitely giving your voice more depth and expansion than the newer versions of the OM11. I have not be able to duplicate the sound of the OM1 with the OM11. There was a change in the electronics used in the new OM11 was basically killed the beautiful response you would have with the OM1. I believe that when you made a product as good as the original OM1, why would you change it. More than likely some suite said "ah, I have a great new way to save us some money". Whatever, but I a firm believer that if you continued to make the OM1 as it was, it might cost you a few more bucks, but would have well been worth it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search