The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
akai gx-255 two track reel to reel Studio Headphones
Old 9th December 2013
Here for the gear

akai gx-255 two track reel to reel

i just got this tape machine for 50 bucks its a little dusty but will play old 1/4" tapes. when i record onto the tapes and play back the play back though the sound is really muffled and distorted version of what i just recorded but it will playback old tapes just fine, just not fine what i just recorded. still figuring out the tape machine. i have two rca going from output of the machine into the output buss and I'm going two rca line in into channels 7 and 8 tape in on my tascam m208 but it doesn't control anything from those channels, when i play back the stuff i can only control the volume from the left and right master volume. any info on this machine and mixer would be awesome. am i doing something wrong? just old heads? need new tape? i got a huge box of old tapes with the machine but they are all used. hope this makes sense to someone. thanks
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtrevor27 View Post
i just got this tape machine for 50 bucks its a little dusty but will play old 1/4" tapes. when i record onto the tapes and play back the play back though the sound is really muffled and distorted version of what i just recorded but it will playback old tapes just fine, just not fine what i just recorded. still figuring out the tape machine. i have two rca going from output of the machine into the output buss and I'm going two rca line in into channels 7 and 8 tape in on my tascam m208 but it doesn't control anything from those channels, when i play back the stuff i can only control the volume from the left and right master volume. any info on this machine and mixer would be awesome. am i doing something wrong? just old heads? need new tape? i got a huge box of old tapes with the machine but they are all used. hope this makes sense to someone. thanks
I would make sure you have cleaned the heads thoroughly with some alcohol (95% or higher isopropyl) and lots of Qtips. There should be no trace of brown tape residue anywhere in the tape path. I would clean all the tape path guides and the pinch roller (don't use the alcohol on any rubber parts). if you have a head demagnetizer and know how to use it properly...do that.
Then get a new reel of fresh tape, not used. See if you can get a clear recording after doing some maintenance. If it's still muffled then you may have worn heads, bad electronics, or the heads are out of alignment. The service manual will give you some tests to determine that.
I've attached the manuals for that deck and mixer in case you don't have them. They're all free on HiFiEngine or from Tascam. Everything you need to know about this stuff is in there, so read it thoroughly and do the cleaning and you should get there. Knowledge is the first step, read and understand and it will all fall into place.
Not sure how you have it hooked up to the M208, but the manual will show you the best way to do that with your deck. It is not an actual "four" track recording deck which would work best with that mixer though so you'll only be able to do stereo or 2 track recordings. That deck is four track but only records two tracks in one direction. But if you use the mixer you should be able to get a decent stereo mix to tape. All of that is in the manuals!
Hope that helps, have fun and good luck!
Tape and analog is a lot of fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hfe_akai_gx-255_en_de_fr.pdf (5.79 MB, 319 views) File Type: pdf hfe_akai_gx-255_service.pdf (6.82 MB, 310 views) File Type: pdf M208M216Service.pdf (2.63 MB, 404 views)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search