The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's Talk about the Avantone CV-12 Mic
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I wish they had an Avantone in that test to compare to. I hear about them a lot, but I've never heard one.
...the CV-12 is basically a very lightly modified 460, so somewhere along your journey modifying your 460 you probably intersected a similar point of improvement...better than the 460, but not as good as the CM-5/CM12...
Old 7th February 2014
Gear Head

How do the power supplies on all these Chinese mics stack up?

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Her latest single Neon Lights, it's currently .69$ on iTunes. Although they did process her vocal a lot in the mix. Pre used was Vintage 1073/CL1B

I'm really thankful to be blessed to have worked around so many talented people. Demi was truly blessed with an amazing talent.
Thanks for reply: awesome! Thats a great song Great vocal production Great v chain. I can now hear the 251 smoothness 251 is one of my favorite mics, wish I could afford one, but I own two cv-12 my favorites on overheads and I use them a lot on vocals. Have you compared the BV-12 to your modded cv-12?
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff738 View Post
How do the power supplies on all these Chinese mics stack up?

Cheers,
Geoff
IMHO it's a good idea to replace the power supply and the power cable. It's definitely one of several weak points with the 460.
Old 8th February 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
IMHO it's a good idea to replace the power supply and the power cable. It's definitely one of several weak points with the 460.
Ok, how about the stuff a step up from that - the Stellars, Gauges, Advanced Audio, Avantone etc? Are they using beefed up power supplies or is it basically the same thing as you'd get with the 460?

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff738 View Post
Ok, how about the stuff a step up from that - the Stellars, Gauges, Advanced Audio, Avantone etc? Are they using beefed up power supplies or is it basically the same thing as you'd get with the 460?

Cheers,
Geoff
The PSU with AA is the same as the 460.

I can't speak to the stellars, gauges or Avantone.

PSU's are expensive though so consider that for something that includes a quality PSU you're going to have to get into the $800 range. The reason anyone offers upgrades to stock mics is because they're crappy to begin with.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Guru

my 460 power supplies are fine, but I did upgrade the jacks and cable to Gotham and Neutrik
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
keep shilling, why would anyone care what you think about anything?
It's always comical when someone talking specifics has those specifics challenged by someone just, I guess, being a prick?

Anything to add about the actual mics in question or do you just not care for the way kidvybes is describing the details of these circuits?
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
my 460 power supplies are fine, but I did upgrade the jacks and cable to Gotham and Neutrik
I agree with this approach. It's the mechanical stuff that needs the most improvement.

In terms of circuitry, the Chinese supplies are using 5 filter stages in the high voltage section, the u47 had 3. This means about/approximately in round figures a 10 to 12 dB reduction in power line hum versus the same circuit with 3 stages. The supplies are also zener diode regulated which gives it some stability a low currents. Some people will complain about this, but I defy someone to make some tracks with and without zener diodes on the same mic and show us how much the sound changes. (Maybe I should do that myself... good idea for an article! Power supply effects)

The filament supplies in the Chinese supplies have something they could not dream about in the 1940s '50s and 60'. That is a solid state single chip analogue voltage regulator. This chip can reduce power supply noise up to 120dB, is short circuit proof (current limiting) and holds the filament voltage rock steady for all practical intents and purposes. They even jack the voltage up to 6.6V inside the box so that by the time it gets to the mic it's down to 6.3 or so. The only thing that would make it better would be a variable regulator so you could trim the voltage exactly for your mic and cable.

So I don't worry to much about the supplies, but neutrik connectors are really good all the time.

BF
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...the CV-12 is basically a very lightly modified 460, so somewhere along your journey modifying your 460 you probably intersected a similar point of improvement...better than the 460, but not as good as the CM-5/CM12...
My work on CV12s indicates that it has more distortion than the 460. The 460 direct couples both triodes in a very clever little circuit hack. Quite clean actually.

The CV12 does a conventional capacitor coupling of the 2 triodes and the final stage cathode follower is not biased right. Same circuit by the way in the BV-12, just a different transformer. That is not the correct solution.

For anybody interested in the nerdy details, I reviewed the BV-12 here:

Avantone BV-12 review Pg 1

And I took the time to fix that output stage for a customer. There is a sound clip on the last page of the finished mic.

BF
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

all I know is that taylor swift used the red one…
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBF View Post
My work on CV12s indicates that it has more distortion than the 460. The 460 direct couples both triodes in a very clever little circuit hack. Quite clean actually.

The CV12 does a conventional capacitor coupling of the 2 triodes and the final stage cathode follower is not biased right. Same circuit by the way in the BV-12, just a different transformer. That is not the correct solution.

For anybody interested in the nerdy details, I reviewed the BV-12 here:

Avantone BV-12 review Pg 1

And I took the time to fix that output stage for a customer. There is a sound clip on the last page of the finished mic.

BF
...very enlightening review and evaluation at that!...renews my respect for the lowly sub-$200 HST-11A (Apex 460)...clearly it was good enough for Telefunken to try and dress it up as a $1600 option (things that make you go hmmm?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
...and her producer insists all they did was upgrade the tube to a GE 6072...can't argue with success...
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post

Hmm, maybe I should ask her if wants an upgrade, LOL,

If it works in the track it's correct.

BF
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search