The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are These Drum-mics Desired?
Old 3rd December 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Are These Drum-mics Desired?

Hey !

So im upgrading my drum mic´s, but theres too much to choose from, and I'm not that experienced.. It sucks, but my budget is extremely important here.

My thought here is to buy 3 mics; one snare, one kick and one overhead.
Superclear sound isn't that important, its more what kind of sound and decent "full spectrum". As many others, huge fan of Kevin Parkers drum sounds. Im not after copying his sound at all, but I'm seeking something near this;
Tame Impala - Why won't you make up your mind ? - YouTube
And
Dungen - Panda [HQ] - YouTube

Probably decided to at least have one SM57 on the snare, but I'm not very sure about the kick(its not going to be the most important sound at all) and the overhead. Veryvery happy to buy vintage-stuff as well, but as i said, budget is tight, and it is important advantage that ebay has it time to time.


And BTW- if someone knows where i can get a SHURE SE-30 compressor to smash them(not for 450,- ..) i´d be really interested!

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
1. Kick = Beta52 - $189.00 > extremely versatile with thoughtful mic placement

Shure Beta 52A | Sweetwater.com




2. Snare - Good 'ole 57 = $99 or a Shure (Unidyne III) 545 = $99 > Can't go wrong snare mics

Shure SM57 | Sweetwater.com




3. OH = Cascade Fathead = $175 > single overheads kill for a nice "full spectrum" sound

Amazon.com: Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD - Brown/Gold: Musical Instruments




Get the mics used and you'll come in under budget. Take the change and get Stillwell's Major Tom Plugin. It does "SQUISH" real lovely!




P.S. If you want to go "cheap", replace the snare mic with a Prodipe Lanen TT1 much better than a 57 for snare and sounds like the Tfunk M80, and replace the ribbon with a Nady RS5 lollipop. I own and/or have used each of these mics extensively.
Old 3rd December 2013
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, i´ve seen sets with SM57 and the beta52, and i doubt it could go wrong, but I'm not sure if thats the sound I'm going for, suspect it might be too "normal"..? Idk..
The sound I'm kinda aiming for was accomplished by a SM57 kick, sennheiser md-421 & shure 58 for snare, and a Rode K2 overhead.
Seems like there is a forever going discussion about either the 57 or Unidyne III 545, but since the 545 is a vintage product it might better suit my purposes?
Is the Prodipe Lanen TT1 as good as the 57? In that case, i might think of placing one of them on the kick, a 57 or 545 on the snare, and then spend more on the overhead, since the kick isn't really that important to me, just get a decent kicking sound.

Thanks for advices!
Old 4th December 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb View Post
Yeah, i´ve seen sets with SM57 and the beta52, and i doubt it could go wrong, but I'm not sure if thats the sound I'm going for, suspect it might be too "normal"..? Idk..
The sound I'm kinda aiming for was accomplished by a SM57 kick, sennheiser md-421 & shure 58 for snare, and a Rode K2 overhead.
Seems like there is a forever going discussion about either the 57 or Unidyne III 545, but since the 545 is a vintage product it might better suit my purposes?
Is the Prodipe Lanen TT1 as good as the 57? In that case, i might think of placing one of them on the kick, a 57 or 545 on the snare, and then spend more on the overhead, since the kick isn't really that important to me, just get a decent kicking sound.

Thanks for advices!

Then why don't you get the mics that were used in the sound you are chasing? You could get them all but the K2 for decent prices on the used market. And just swap out the K2 for a comparable tube mic.


I feel the TT1 is better suited for (my kit's) snare than a 57. I've had really good luck with the 545s for a lot of different things but I usually put it on bottom snare when I use it on a kit. I've got a lot of other mics to choose from for this application so it really depends on the sound of the drum, which mic I choose. There are plenty of clips on YouTube of the TT1 in action.


Best of luck.
Old 4th December 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

That fathead for overhead is a great suggestion (as was the 57 for snare - been used on a ton of records easily could do what your after and at least 150 cheaper then a 421) was going to suggest 57 for kick as well after hearing clips would definitely also look into a EV 635a.
Old 4th December 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb View Post
Yeah, i´ve seen sets with SM57 and the beta52, and i doubt it could go wrong, but I'm not sure if thats the sound I'm going for, suspect it might be too "normal"..? Idk..
The sound I'm kinda aiming for was accomplished by a SM57 kick, sennheiser md-421 & shure 58 for snare, and a Rode K2 overhead.
Seems like there is a forever going discussion about either the 57 or Unidyne III 545, but since the 545 is a vintage product it might better suit my purposes?
Is the Prodipe Lanen TT1 as good as the 57? In that case, i might think of placing one of them on the kick, a 57 or 545 on the snare, and then spend more on the overhead, since the kick isn't really that important to me, just get a decent kicking sound.

Thanks for advices!
Are you saying that Tamer Impala song was done with a 57 on the kick? I think a 421 would be ideal. A 57 has very little low end. I think those kick sounds may have both heads on and maybe without a hole. You could put any kick mic on a resonant head and get something like that. It is possible a lot of it was coming through the overhead as well. You might even be able to get close to that sound with 1 mic and a send to a compressor with EQ.
Old 4th December 2013
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

You are sort of committing to mono drums with that set up. Not that's a bad thing. But if I was looking for a three mic set up I would be looking at two overheads and a kick mic first.
Old 4th December 2013
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Thanks for good advices!
I dont want exactly the same setup that KP has, purely because its over my budget, and i dont want exactly the same sound, i definitely want to try something new too. Just that vintage(+a little lofi) sound. I`ve seen that Dungens drums was recorded with a single 57, but as mentioned thats kinda too mono, and i want a little more qualitysound than that.
Phanlon; you said that a sm57 is okey on the kick?
PW2005: Yes, it was recorded with a 57 on the kick. The same for me, kick isnt very important.
I adore the look of the s.421, really vintage and badazz, really want one of them.
My new plan right now is to go for a s.421 for snare(+little hi hat) and a sm57 that i place somewhere in the middle of the kit, or between the second tam and the ride as a kind of overhead, maybe lower to get some of the kick. Is this a risky dumb idea that i should put away, or is it possible with only a s.421 on the snare and a sm57 as a overhead/middle mic to hear everything, included the kick(of course depending of the placements) ?
I know i come with too many suggestions here right now hah..
Cheers!
Old 4th December 2013
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb View Post
Thanks for good advices!
I dont want exactly the same setup that KP has, purely because its over my budget, and i dont want exactly the same sound, i definitely want to try something new too. Just that vintage(+a little lofi) sound. I`ve seen that Dungens drums was recorded with a single 57, but as mentioned thats kinda too mono, and i want a little more qualitysound than that.
Phanlon; you said that a sm57 is okey on the kick?
PW2005: Yes, it was recorded with a 57 on the kick. The same for me, kick isnt very important.
I adore the look of the s.421, really vintage and badazz, really want one of them.
My new plan right now is to go for a s.421 for snare(+little hi hat) and a sm57 that i place somewhere in the middle of the kit, or between the second tam and the ride as a kind of overhead, maybe lower to get some of the kick. Is this a risky dumb idea that i should put away, or is it possible with only a s.421 on the snare and a sm57 as a overhead/middle mic to hear everything, included the kick(of course depending of the placements) ?
I know i come with too many suggestions here right now hah..
Cheers!

I honestly think your best bet is to use 2 dynamic mics and a condenser overhead. Remember though that if you want your kit to vintage/lo-fi, you better make sure it sounds that way before recording (ie. proper tuning, muffling, room treatment etc)

I use a 57 on my kick drum often, it gives you a very unique thumpy, vintagey sound. If I were you I would put a 57 on kick and snare and use a condenser for overhead. However, If your dead set on getting a md421, i recommend that on the overhead instead of the 57.

And most importantly remember, when your going for drum sounds similar to dungeon/tame impala, compression will be huge part of your sound so don't be afraid to smash those compressors
Old 4th December 2013
  #10
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

For kick I would consider the Heil PR 48, it really delivers top to bottom without imposing its own strong curves.

For snare the Beyer M 201 TG is incredible, on a budget the Audix i5 overall I would choose over an SM57.

For overheads the Audio-Technica ATM450 is still a great choice on a budget.

The good news is that the player, drums and room will matter more.

War
Old 4th December 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

For me, the size of the kick drum makes more difference than the mic. I get the sound I want for myself out of a 20" kick. It would be good to find out what size they used.
Old 4th December 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

heads + mics... u really got to know which sound you´re looking for
vintage vs modern
a RE20 BD can be terrible for a modern metal head
Old 5th December 2013
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Yep, of course it has to sound that way before recording it, i know the mics don't contribute to the whole sound.
So the 421 would do better as an overhead than a 57? Some of the suggestions here may be too expensive for me right now. I also basically want dynamics.
I might just start with a couple of mics, and build on whenever I'm no longer satisfied. Do you guys have a better suggestion on a vintage mic that would operate with the sm57 , similar to the 421 for some of the same price, or is it just to go for it and begin the exploring? Cant really wait.
Thanks!!
Old 5th December 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
NYCruiser's Avatar
The second example in the original post sounds like it has stereo overheads.
57's are great workhorse mic's and every studio should have at least 3-4 of them.
The preamps you record them thru will affect their tone quite a bit. Impedance and gain make a difference.

My best advice if you are starting from scratch is to just get a deal on 4 57's and use them on the whole kit.
You'll always use those mics or be able to sell them for what you pay.
You can certainly hang them as overheads as well as close mic kick/snare.
Then see which positions you want to upgrade after you hear them.

SM57 Mics as Overheads when Recording Drums
Old 5th December 2013
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
standup's Avatar
RE20 is a great mic for vintage-y kick, it's my default kick mic most of the time, since I'm usually recording music that sound is appropriate for. Sennheiser 421 also has a good low end, but mine usually end up on guitar or bass amps. Both are a bit on the expensive side.

What about an Audix D4? I have one of those, it has a decent low end. And I just bought a Peavey 520 kick drum mic for $60, haven't heard it yet but they are supposed to be pretty good.
Old 5th December 2013
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Seems like the RE20 is a little bit over my budget, and as i mentioned, I'm purely seeking a snare and overhead-ish mic.
Yup, it is to afford my first pre that my budget is as low as i can get it these days..
I think i might just start with 57´s, and maybe a 421, will see.
Thanks again, good to have different opinions on this.
Old 20th December 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
RE20 is a great mic for vintage-y kick, it's my default kick mic most of the time, since I'm usually recording music that sound is appropriate for. Sennheiser 421 also has a good low end, but mine usually end up on guitar or bass amps. Both are a bit on the expensive side.

What about an Audix D4? I have one of those, it has a decent low end. And I just bought a Peavey 520 kick drum mic for $60, haven't heard it yet but they are supposed to be pretty good.
RE-20 is also my go to mic for Retro sounding kick drums. Coated skins help me also.
For the modern metal drum sound i use a D4, clear heads (more klick). I really like the D4. The 300Hz crap is alreday out and it has good lows and highs. It takes EQ very well.
i use them live very often. Our standard kit is a Tama Hyperdrive, with Evans Emad 2 skin. i usually just put a little 4.5k bell, some high shelf and some bass boost (bell). Well, we are very satisfied. Some bands who have triggers normally already didn´t use the triggers. Imo it sound much more natural. To give you a sound direction: Metallica Black Album...or with more high shelf: Pantera
Old 22nd December 2013
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
For kick I would consider the Heil PR 48, it really delivers top to bottom without imposing its own strong curves.

For snare the Beyer M 201 TG is incredible, on a budget the Audix i5 overall I would choose over an SM57.

For overheads the Audio-Technica ATM450 is still a great choice on a budget.

The good news is that the player, drums and room will matter more.

War
+1

I have the 48 and 201. Great stuff. Been using an AKG d3600 on kick lately tho (discontinued).
Old 22nd December 2013
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Thanks!
I am not aiming at the black album sound at all actually, i do not like Ulrich´snare, but it fits the music for sure.

I actually ended up with an AKG D190E on the snare, and I'm still waiting for my sm57 to arrive. I will have to play a lot with placement, but i think it will do the job for now!
Old 23rd December 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneb View Post
Thanks!
I am not aiming at the black album sound at all actually, i do not like Ulrich´snare, but it fits the music for sure.

I actually ended up with an AKG D190E on the snare, and I'm still waiting for my sm57 to arrive. I will have to play a lot with placement, but i think it will do the job for now!
Great! What kind of sound are you looking for?
Old 23rd December 2013
  #21
WAD
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
..with thoughtful mic placement
I like the idea of this
Old 23rd December 2013
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Great! What kind of sound are you looking for?
Tame impala/dungen sound, examples in my first post!

Merry christmas everyone
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump