The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pics of Vox Mic setups Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Pics of Vox Mic setups

Recorded a singer last week with a dual mic/pre-amp setup and just about managed to get it setup so it wasn't too oppressive or overwhelming. A piccy is below.

Wondered if any other peeps out there have pictures of their vocal mic setups, ideas for others to borrow? heh
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Vox Mic setups-micpic.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Pics of Vox Mic setups

Quote:
Originally posted by RichT
Recorded a singer last week with a dual mic/pre-amp setup and just about managed to get it setup so it wasn't too oppressive or overwhelming. A piccy is below.

Wondered if any other peeps out there have pictures of their vocal mic setups, ideas for others to borrow? heh
I've done similar setups (SM57 with TLM103)... it sounds great but then fixing the phase is a pain in the ass especially if you have a bunch of vocals (it was kind of a rock/pop album with a lot of vocal work)...

have fun...

my 2 cents
manuel
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Pics of Vox Mic setups

Quote:
Originally posted by arimaka
I've done similar setups (SM57 with TLM103)... it sounds great but then fixing the phase is a pain in the ass especially if you have a bunch of vocals (it was kind of a rock/pop album with a lot of vocal work)...

have fun...

my 2 cents
manuel
Hi Manuel,

Yeh, I can imagine if things got complex it wouldn't be the best setup.

This particular singer in a scrEMO / post hardcore type band didn't seem to suit any mic or pre combination I had available to me but the combination of the two mics did the trick in this case.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Pics of Vox Mic setups

Quote:
Hi Manuel,

Yeh, I can imagine if things got complex it wouldn't be the best setup.

This particular singer in a scrEMO / post hardcore type band didn't seem to suit any mic or pre combination I had available to me but the combination of the two mics did the trick in this case.

Cheers,
Rich
Rick

for that it's PERFECT... for screamo vocals

I did an screamo album and i put a u87 about 3 feet from him and gave him a neumann kms 105 in his hand so he could puke all over it (he didn't damage it gladly!!!!)...

some tracks I used both mics, sometimes just his handheld, sometimes just the far condenser... lot of distortion, bit-crushing (the singer couldn't get enough of it)...

kms105 is a great handheld vocal mic for this kind of application...

good luck with the screamo stufff

peace
manuel
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Here's the "standard" where I work...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Vox Mic setups-earl-tracking-session-010small.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Hey imacgreg,

Are those gobos around the mic?

Cheers,
Rich
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
now that looks good
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

I dont like it

....................................I LOVE IT
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey imacgreg,

Are those gobos around the mic?

Cheers,
Rich
Yes, those are two 8 foot tall trianglular gobos that we pull around our fairly large tracking room when needed. They help keep out the room tone when tracking vocals (and they look freakin sweet). Although if you are dumb like me and you forget to check if the U47 is in omni, then you get room tone no matter what! Now that I am really liking the SM-7, the U47 is not getting as much use on vocals. I just did a punk/hardcore screaming/singing band, and for the singing the 47 barely won over the SM-7, but for the screams I went with the SM-7. But then again, I'm just an intern playing with expensive toys...

Ian
Old 23rd November 2003
TOR
Gear Maniac

here's my dodgy setup

still saving up for a fat-ass vocal mic and some auralex

Old 23rd November 2003
SawSlut

Auralex? YECH!

Dude, go here. Learn much.
http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

-0z-
Old 23rd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus
Auralex? YECH!

Dude, go here. Learn much.
http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

-0z-

me cry now

bu ju ju
Old 24th November 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, those are two 8 foot tall trianglular gobos that we pull around our fairly large tracking room when needed. They help keep out the room tone when tracking vocals (and they look freakin sweet). Although if you are dumb like me and you forget to check if the U47 is in omni, then you get room tone no matter what! Now that I am really liking the SM-7, the U47 is not getting as much use on vocals. I just did a punk/hardcore screaming/singing band, and for the singing the 47 barely won over the SM-7, but for the screams I went with the SM-7. But then again, I'm just an intern playing with expensive toys...

Ian
Dude, the 7 absolutely SLAYS on screamo type vocals. Can't say enough good things about it (although my last few posts certainly point to the contrary).
WARNING: Just be sure not to switch on that presence boost!
Old 24th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by VotaIdiota

WARNING: Just be sure not to switch on that presence boost!
Whoa... we've been using that boost, I haven't really gotten the chance to mess with it. Why wouldn't one want to use it?

Ian
Old 24th November 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Whoa... we've been using that boost, I haven't really gotten the chance to mess with it. Why wouldn't one want to use it?

Ian
It just seems that whenever I turn it on, I always end up having to slap a deesser on in mix. Presence boost off, no de-esser. But that's just me.

I also have the high-pass pretty much always on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search