The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Top Vocal Mics..In Your Opinions
View Poll Results: Your Number 1 Choice of these Options....
Tele TLM49
4 Votes - 5.71%
U87ai
23 Votes - 32.86%
Rode Classic II
3 Votes - 4.29%
Rode K2
9 Votes - 12.86%
Soundelux E251c
31 Votes - 44.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th October 2006
Top Vocal Mics..In Your Opinions

Ok...I would like to know how everyone would choose if they had to rank the mics below in order of best to wost for vocals.**I realize that male and female vocals require different mics most of the time.**However, imagine for budget reasons (Like mine..haha) you had to choose ONE that would work for both for the time being.**For those of you who are going to fell compelled to list a mic not on the list, that is fine, BUT please ALSO rank the mics on the list as well.**Other mic suggestions I would like to be below the $3,000 mark.**Lets see what people say.....

Rank in Order:

Tele TLM49
U87ai
Rode Classic II
Rode K2
Soundelux E251C
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

the only mics here i have experience with are the RØDE K2 and the Neumann U87. i don't *love* either one for vocals, although the U87 has been used for this purpose extensively of course. i DO have experience with the Soundelux ELUX251 and if the E251C sounds close to the ELUX251 i would say that's your best bet. i have found the ELUX251 sounds good on most vocalists and is just a kick-ass mic. so maybe the E251C, if i get a chance to hear it, will be nearly as impressive...?

so i can't rank the mics, but i would say add to your list:

B.L.U.E. Kiwi (doesn't get mentioned much but is very good IMO)
Lawson L47MP (a top-notch contender at $2k)
Pearlman TM-1 (haven't used this one but James Lugo and others seem to like it).

and don't forget, for $1100 USD......
SOUNDELUX U195 FET

Of the mics on your list i am going to say, "SOUNDELUX", even though i have not used the E251C yet.

J.D.
Old 7th October 2006
Old 7th October 2006
AKG 414 ULS-silver version
Shure SM58 beta
KM 84

whatever works.. it's more related witch preamp I use than the microphone itself..

depends on the voice also..

from the above the U87 all the way

cheers
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Never heard of a Tele TLM49. Do you mean the Neumann TLM49?
Old 7th October 2006
HAHA!!.....OOPS! You are right, I meant the Neumann. Wow, I didn't even notice the mistake. THat mic doesn't exist. Ok, so eveyone, that was meant to be the new Neumann TLM49. Thanx.
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Nut

I LIKE my 87...

You'll probably get a lot of people around here who will put 'em down, but I like mine a lot. It's 90's model, so it's probably about 10 years old.

In a way the discussions about 87's are somewhat like the NS10 debates. Some people have moved on to the "newer" and "improved/better" stuff and some people still swear by the older technology.

I've still got my 87 and my NS10's, so I guess I'm a dinasaur but they work very well for me.......... YMMV..............
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

I have a U87 but its not an AI. It's a 70's 87 and it sounds amazing. Nice bottom and beutiful mids. I use that 9 out of 10 times on my vocal sessions. My signal chain varies but its usually a Focusrite Red 6 through a Summit DCL-200 for compression. I have tried the Elux 251 and that also is an amazing sounding mic, a bit overpriced if you ask me.
Old 7th October 2006
am62 / gt67
c12
u47
AKG 414 ULS-silver version (2 stolen from my studio )
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

251--->1073--->1176

Done.
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Head

audio technia should be represented in the poll........4050,4033,4060, etc......

too many good mics to be ignored
Old 7th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

Two critical factors (at a MINIMUM) - source and what you want.

So I do not see the use of these threads. Tons of great mics.
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

ADK CE, HORCH
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Peluso 22 251.
Beyer MC930

Both of these mics kick serious ass and the Beyer being only a SDC, sounds better than many LDCs I have used over the years.

From your list, I would say the U87, since I know it will hit home runs when matched to the proper source.
Old 8th October 2006
Old 8th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Deb View Post
audio technia should be represented in the poll........4050,4033,4060, etc......

too many good mics to be ignored
I agree, I think the AT 4050 is one of the best vocal mics ever made, I'm not kidding.

bcgood
Old 8th October 2006
Quote:
AKG 414 ULS-silver version (2 stolen from my studio
it wasnt me
Old 8th October 2006
Gear Nut

AT 4050
Old 8th October 2006
Lives for gear

The rode K2 for the money is the best valve mic. For under £350 how can you beat it!!

However the E251C, which I have, is gorgeous. Mojo becomes a word I now understand.

Paul Blenn
Old 8th October 2006

Well, I would have to go with the U87 since it should sound at least "good", but not "great" on most sources. Although, I would probably look at the Peluso 47 LE & 251 combo if I had $3000 to spend. They're like salt & pepper and contrast each other quite well.
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

Stephen Paul u87

Royer sf-12

RCA 77DX

Gefell um900

of the ones above...the classic II, by far.
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
more related witch preamp I use than the microphone itself..
Usually with the 'Wolfman' 47 FET

Classic II is a nice mic.
Old 9th October 2006
Gear Maniac

U47
U67

Sometimes a sm7 or even sm57 for the vibe!!

Love the high end on a C12 as well....

I think the Soundelux would be my pick out of your choices!!
Old 9th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

What vocals have you been doing with the E251C? male, female, range, etc? Comments. Also, has the bass roll-off or lack of patterns been a factor at all for you?

THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post
The rode K2 for the money is the best valve mic. For under £350 how can you beat it!!

However the E251C, which I have, is gorgeous. Mojo becomes a word I now understand.

Paul Blenn
Old 9th October 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
it wasnt me
it's ok - it was a long time ago - i forgive u heh

no, seriously - i found the guys who did it, tied them up
and threw them in the hudson river
Old 9th October 2006
Quote:
no, seriously - i found the guys who did it, tied them up
and threw them in the hudson river
hm, I think I wouldnt kill for my 414 silver.. but for a 47:D??

heh
Old 9th October 2006
Just to let everyone know.....after a week of this survery, I am going to take the two highest rated mics and place them in a new survey with some other new choices....there is starting to be a trend here. It's close between the 87 and the 251....lets see what a couple of days will do...
Old 9th October 2006
... and then? you will buy the highest rated mic?

error in module thinking man...

what kind of pre are u using?

cheers
Old 9th October 2006
You are right, that is not a good way to make a purchase. No, I am not going to neccesarily buy the top rated mic. I wouldn't be so foolish as to do that. Most of the time mic choice is as personal as underwear choice. A good engineer can make a vast majority of good mics sound great. The evidence for that is all the great sounging records of the past that have been made with $100 dollar mics all the way up to $15,000 dollar mics. Sometimes I think too much emphasis is placed on gear, while important, I do think sill level and talent come into play alot. I am conducting this survey an experiment, and also to give me a good 3 or 4 mics that I will then go and LISTEN too and spend some time with before I choose the one I PERSONALLY find the best. I am just looking out to see what other people are having sucess with. Right now the 610 pre is what I will be using....I will take a vote on pres here in a while too.
Old 10th October 2006

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search