The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converters first?
Old 3rd December 2013
Real world perspective; I'm recording a super A-Lister this evening. I've had discussions with her usual engineer regarding her usual mic, preamp, compressor and suitable substitutes (the hire companies in Sydney seem to be non-existent!).

We've not even talked about converters. Spent more time discussing food and "ambience" options than converters.
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear

I DI'd my Fender Jazz bass into an mbox2 once sounded ****. I then DI'd into Lavry Blue converters sounded amazing.. What psycho has said is the most logical way to go.
I just like the thought that what ever I get from now on I will get to hear in all it's glory.
Old 3rd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
Well I see there are a lot of opinions on converters and some make very good sense. I've heard so much about converters making such a big difference over the past two years. Now to hear different opinions makes me feel lost. I really like the Hilo cause it meets my needs and can double as an interface without pres which allows me the ability to add a nice great river MV-1 and a compressor later. Is there something else out that is less than the Hilo that has no built in pres and can double as the audio interface? I want something better than the 18i20 cause it is overkill for ins and outs and you can't bypass the pres in the unit.
Talking about converters, comparing their "night and day"-differences is a trend on GS but that doesn't change the fact that differences in converters are smaller than differences in preamps, which in turn are smaller than differences in mics, and in the end everything will sound like crap if recorded in a bad room. Sure there are differences, measurable ones but compare that to how different mics sound. Even a complete amateur can hear the difference between an 57 and a U87 for instance (to take an extreme example). Great engineering can maybe make them sound alike in a context, but not without serious processing.

If I were you I would find a good spot to record and then try out a bunch of mics until I found what best suited what I wanted to record (your own voice?). Is that mic the SM7? Maybe it is, but you don't know until you've tried a bunch and the differences won't exactly be subtle. Then go for a cheap but good preamp to match the mic. Then, if you are unhappy with the clarity or whatever, you can try to change the other parts of your recording chain.
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
I just never liked what I was getting from the 18i20 and the mic I was using. It never sounded like more than a demo concerning audio quality not composition. That's why I want to change and go with a better setup to get into that pro sound. Most of you probably record acoustics instruments but I am totally ITB using only vst's. However, I do have my room ready for the treatment that GIK helped me to get done. Now I know where to start next. I rather spend the money as I stated above getting better mics and a pre. What would be a better converter option over the 18i20? How would the rme adi-2 compare to the 18i20? Since I'm set on getting rid of it because of not being able to use outboard pres with it or compressors.
I think you should focus your attention on getting your room situated and getting a single high quality mic. You are ready to "jump ship" on your Focusrite, but I don't believe it's really the weak link. Your current preamp and conversion is capable of professional results, even if it's not a Burl. It's more a matter of the hands. (or ears)

Usually when something has poor audio quality and "sounds like a demo" it's because of shrill chinese condensers flooded with room flubb and bad mixing.

If I was going to get a different unit though, I would be looking at a Duet 2, Forte, iD22, or Crimson and a really good mic. I would not worry about outboard gear until you get that far.
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Upgrading one's converters is the first order of business! Far smarter to spend $2,500 on a good converter and record with an SM57 than it is to record with a U87 on a cheap converter.
NO!
Microphones make way more difference than converters.
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear

I'm going to work on my mic first and worry about the other stuff later.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
What about your audio interface?

Quote:

My signal chain is as follows for my home studio:

Great River MP-2NV > Great River EQ-1NV > UA 1176 (reissue) > Lynx Hilo > Pro Tools 10 at 32/96

Sounds GREAT!
Sorry if this sounds amatuerish, but what do you use for your audio interface before heading into protools? Surely the Lynx Hilo convertors don't act as the interface between your computer and the other equipment.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsaramuse View Post
Sorry if this sounds amatuerish, but what do you use for your audio interface before heading into protools? Surely the Lynx Hilo convertors don't act as the interface between your computer and the other equipment.
The Lynx Hilo is a converter and an interface...it uses USB or Thunderbolt to get into your computer.

FYI, I made this post years ago. Now I'm using a different setup and recording analog.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Upgrading one's converters is the first order of business! Far smarter to spend $2,500 on a good converter and record with an SM57 than it is to record with a U87 on a cheap converter.
Sorry but this is not correct at all. Converters have waaaaaaayyy less influence on the sound than just about any other thing in the audio chain (that is DACs - ADCs have more influence but even an average prosumer thing is pretty transparent these days ). Monitors, room and mics have the most influence. SM57s are used on a lot of proffesional recordings but..... really sound engineering 101 is getting lost in a sea of marketing nonsense.
BTW OP nearly all interfaces are include both ADC and DAC converters....
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
The Lynx Hilo is a converter and an interface...it uses USB or Thunderbolt to get into your computer.

FYI, I made this post years ago. Now I'm using a different setup and recording analog.
Thanks for the reply! What is your setup like now? Has your signal chain changed much?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search