The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear Pimps! Sell me an SM7!!
Old 6th October 2006
Gear Pimps! Sell me an SM7!!

please?
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

some of the pimps may be at AES right now...
Old 6th October 2006
duh, I'm an idiot

BSW is having a sale for $309, maybe I'll just do that
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

(In Haloween bewitching voice)

Looook on Classified's page. Must talk to Frost!

E

Old 6th October 2006
DOH!!!!

just missed it
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
duh, I'm an idiot

That's a real good price for a new one.
Old 7th October 2006
Quote:
duh, I'm an idiot

who is BSW ???
Old 7th October 2006
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

Love my SM7, but after today (at AES) I gotta say check out the Heil PR-40 (and the PR-30 too) if you want a really nice detailed dynamic that would excel where the SM7 does. Better rejection, more detail, and not as muddy as the SM7. I was really impressed by these.
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

And I think they are all under $300 too. Sorry if I am hijacking. They were just really impressive.
Old 7th October 2006
Quote:
Love my SM7, but after today (at AES) I gotta say check out the Heil PR-40 (and the PR-30 too) if you want a really nice detailed dynamic that would excel where the SM7 does. Better rejection, more detail, and not as muddy as the SM7. I was really impressed by these.
dang! i was set on getting an sm7 really soon. now 'll have to check out the Heil PR-40 . anyone else out there used one?
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

The PR40 is @$269 at Front End Audio. Add another $85 for a shock mount.
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
The PR40 is @$269 at Front End Audio. Add another $85 for a shock mount.
I can't find that price...
http://www.frontendaudio.com/SearchR...arch=Heil&mfg=
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting. I pulled it up in Froogle. It's $269 on the Froogle page, but when you click on Front End's link you get price of $325. Froogle also shows a price of $85 for the shock, but the site itself shows $95.

Hmmmm. Other sites that sell the mic for $314 also quote a list of $375, while Front End quotes a list of $429. Maybe there was a price increase that Front End has reflected, but other sites haven't yet.

Can't explain it.
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Allright. Here's a vendor web page (Broadcast Depot) with the PR40 mic at $269. Hopefully they have it in stock. Maybe not for long after I post thisheh

http://www.7bd.com/ProductList.aspx?IDCat=88
Old 7th October 2006
Jai guru deva om

Pohaku, you are correct. Heil handed down a pretty large price increase a month ago and we must reflect that. Unfortunately Froogle isn't always updated and the way it works is a bit strange so I apologize for the confusion there. We certainly aren't trying to mislead anyone but I know you know that. The next Froogle upload we do will update that info.

The link with the $269 might be someone with old stock on them? I'm at AES and have no clue what we have or don't and what our cost is...!

War
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Warren,

No problem. thumbsup Froogle is kind of weird. It's not the first time I have some dissonance between the Froogle price and the actual price at a site. Froogle also doesn't pick up a lot of stuff. I kind of figured with the push at AES that we might see a price adjustment on the part of Heil.

So, what do you think of the Heil mics? I looked at these a year or two ago when they first came out and thought they sounded interesting. Since I already had an SM7 and an RE-20, I wasn't all ginned up to get one, even though at the time they were substantially less expensive than an SM7. Now, the price is comparable so relative performance matters even more.
Old 7th October 2006
sold, missed it again

WAR! Are you guys carrying the sm7? I didn't find it on frontend's site (I looked there first)

Barresi mentioned the Heils somewhere around here
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Maniac

We are replacing SM7s, RE-20 and 27s with PR-40s in our Broadcast groups. They seem to need less eq.
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow....they promise delivery by March 16, 2005. Does that mean that as soon as I get the package, SM7-recorded tracks will mysteriously sprout up in all the projects I've done in the past 18 months?
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

About the Heil PR-40....

How does it's output level compare to the SM7b?
I love my sm7b, but sometimes I really long for about another 10 db of quite gain out of it....

-Z-
Old 7th October 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Middleton View Post
Wow....they promise delivery by March 16, 2005. Does that mean that as soon as I get the package, SM7-recorded tracks will mysteriously sprout up in all the projects I've done in the past 18 months?
BWAHAHAHAH
Old 8th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
About the Heil PR-40....

How does it's output level compare to the SM7b?
I love my sm7b, but sometimes I really long for about another 10 db of quite gain out of it....

-Z-

I would say that the Heil PR-40 is exactly the same as far as output. (actually I don't have an SM7b so my comparison is faulty) but I have to crank my pres to the max to get a nice usable signal. An extra 10db would be great. Amazing mic, though. The output thing is my one and only complaint.
Old 8th October 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW, I believe Alto Music still has the PR-40's for $250. At least they were a couple weeks ago, and that was after everyone started upping the prices.

@ Zakco. I just did a side by side with the SM7b. The PR-40 had about 2.5db more gain.

Personally I like the SM7b better than the PR-40 for VO, which is what I'm using them for. I just purchased both within the last couple weeks, and the PR-40 has a presence boost that to me is really annoying. Could just be an incompatability with my voice though. The SM7b on the other hand is pure bliss with my voice. I can't believe I've waited so many years to get one.
Old 8th October 2006
I can second the annoying presence boost on some singers with the PR40. I don't have an SM7 to compare it to, but I do have the PR40 and it rarely gets used on vocals (I don't do any VO recording). Actually, I did use it on a hip hop MC once and it worked well after some heavy compression with a UAD 1176LN. But, it's not a mic that will work with many singers in my experience.

It does excel at kick drums, toms, and amp cabs (bass and guitar). It's a great mic but I wouldn't call it "warm" because of its presence boost.

-Jim Bob
Old 10th October 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
sold, missed it again

WAR! Are you guys carrying the sm7? I didn't find it on frontend's site (I looked there first)

Barresi mentioned the Heils somewhere around here
Yes we can get them, I didn't realize they weren't on the site though. That's a big "DOH!" on our part.

War
Old 10th October 2006
Doh!

yeah PM me Dawg heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search