The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thermionic Phoenix on Vocals?
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Thermionic Phoenix on Vocals?

Anyone had much time to play with the Thermionic Phoenix on vocals, both tracking and mixing? What sort of sounds are you getting? How might it compare to the sound of tracking with an LA2A? Thx plenty.
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

for vocals? i'll let you know in less than 24 hours. i did use it on kick and snare the other day. worked out well. won't go into details now because i'm busy drinking beer and i wanna go to bed a little bit.

la2a? different animal.
Old 5th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Not tried it for vocals yet (like the MC76 too much), but I know it's one of Fletchers faves, maybe he'll chime in.....
Old 5th October 2006
member no 666

Yes, it's one of my drop dead favorites for vocals... first reach, first thought [when I'm doing a gig for reasons other than experimentation].
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Fletcher -- thanks for your response.

Now, I know this is an annoying question, and I'm not at all trying to pin the Phoenix up against the LA2A -- but do I really need that cursed LA2A in the room, or can the Phoenix do enough exciting things to a vocal that I should use the LA2A money to invest in some different solid state compressors instead (ie. daking/portico/pendulum/etc)..

Okay, I know that sounded like I was trying to pin them against eachother.

The LA2A just seems like such a one-trick pony, so if the Phoenix can do some downright nasty good things to Vox, perhaps I should invest in some more all-around comps instead of the UA? The Phoenix is on it's way anyways, so I suppose I'll hear it for myself soon enough, but it'd be good to decide now if I didn't have to shell out for the LA2A. And no, unfortunately I can't get an LA2A in the room without buying it first....

Any further insight into the kinds of tones you can get out of the Phoenix on Vox would make me a happy little idiot kid. And I know you like making us little cheeldrin' happy.
Old 5th October 2006
member no 666

I haven't owned an LA-2A in probably 6 or 7 years and have never missed it for a minute. Every now and again someone has brought one through the room and I remember why I don't miss it. They are indeed a "one trick pony" and 15 years ago they were the only game in town for that particular trick... now there is less than zero reason in my world to eat up 3 rack spaces for one channel of "one trick" compression.

I know there are some people that frequent this board that mount them on the east wall of the studio with a little rug in front of them and show praise 5 times a day... but I ain't one of them.
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks man.
Old 5th October 2006
My 2 cents the La2a is a 2 trick pony and the second trick it does justifies it enough to make it in my racks and to my mixes because no other comp i own does what it does.

In the end you want to have both around in your studio.
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

I sold my La2a a year ago. Now I miss it. Tried to get by the other day with a UAD La2a, and that one to me is a dog. So now I have to buy another one again. I miss it the most on bass, and occasionally on a FOKit mic.

I nevr tried he Thermionic though, but I can't imagine them being remotely similar.
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's not really a question of me expecting the Phoenix to sound like an LA2A -- but I was asking more about whether or not it does a good job on Vox, in it's own way, you know?

Still would love to hear further descriptions as to what exactly the sound of a Phoenix on Vox might be compared to -- or any examples on various records... but hey, that might be asking for descriptions of that which cannot be described.
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

1176 / MC77 is my favorite vocal compressor, but the TCV is great. I like it for the 2-mix.
Old 6th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
1176 / MC77 is my favorite vocal compressor, but the TCV is great. I like it for the 2-mix.
My same thoughts..I also love it on drum subs and backing vocals

The therm is good for a cleaner sparkle on vox..which every now and then is the trick..you can push it too for a little harmonic edge.

but it won't do the rounder LA2a thing..
I like having both...
although I seem to go to an MC77/older 1176 for rock vocals more than the others.
Old 6th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

How about comparing the Phoenix to the Tube tech CL1B on vocals. What is the difference? Is having the CL1B redundant to having the Phoenix? Does the Phoenix do what the CL1B does and more. Or are they different enough that someone should have both?
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

It's funny, that's exactly what I've decided to do. Going to get an MC77 for my main Vox compressor, and every once and a while I'm sure the phoenix will give me that little something different.

Or even chaining the MC77 into the Phoenix might give me something special.

Thanks for all your responses guys. I think my compressor arsenal is *FINALLY* figured out.
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

so yeah, i used both the phoenix and a new la2a tonight for vocals.

they both worked. la2a got a majority of the lead vocal, phoenix got all background vocals. used a brauner vm1-khe into a gordon mic pre.

the music was real stripped down, and the la2a just kind of fit the song a little better. i'd imagine if the arrangement was different and the singer laid into the mic a little more, the phoenix would have gotten lead vocal duty.
Old 6th October 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
Or even chaining the MC77 into the Phoenix might give me something special.
Coolness!
Old 7th July 2011
Here for the gear

Bump,

Anyone got any setting they want to share for Phoenix settings for vocal tracking?

Clive
Old 7th July 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcase Recs View Post
Anyone got any setting they want to share for Phoenix settings for vocal tracking?
No - every session is different and will have different requirements - use your ears. The only suggestion that may be of merit is to suggest that you keep the gain reduction under about 3db during the tracking process.

Best of luck with all you do!!

Peace
Old 23rd July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
No - every session is different and will have different requirements - use your ears. The only suggestion that may be of merit is to suggest that you keep the gain reduction under about 3db during the tracking process.
Thanks. I have never used compression when recording before due to the fear of messing up a great take (and not owning anything good enuff to track with). And it's really tricky using your ears when the vocalist is screaming right next to you (I have no booth)!

Anyways, I Recorded a vocalist the other day and kept the gain reduction no more than 3 dB. It worked out good. Thanks Fletcher.

I'm sure there are attack and release settings that could improve the dynamics and so I guess I'll just experiment as I go.

If anyone else has any general tracking settings that they like to use on the Phoenix then I'd be happy to hear about them. I understand there are some standard vocal tracking settings on the 1176 that engineers use and wondered if this might also be the the same with some Phoenix users.

Peace!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search