The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$1400 credit at SOUNDPURE- what to buy???? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

$1400 credit at SOUNDPURE- what to buy????

I have a $1429 or something credit at Sound Pure and not sure what to buy.

The only think on my wishlist right now is another Neumann KM 84 to make a stereo pair but they dont have any vintage mics in stock.

IDeas:

Telefunken CU-29 copperhead

Disterssor (to make a pair)

coles 4038

monitors (dont really think anything good for this price)

...any other suggestions? They carry a pretty good selection of gear.

About me... I have a pro tools HD setup. Most of my income is from film production and post production but I also have a sweet home studio where I record a lot of bands and produce and mix ALL kinds of music.

Some of the gear I already have....

2-1176
1- distressor
2 x adm 1541 eq
3 x la-610s
urei la-12
api a2d (2x312)
2 x bae 1073mp
avalon 737
avalon 747
webster faraday tube comp
chameleon labs 7602

neumann um57
neumann u87
neumann km54
neumann km183
audio technica 3031
charteroak 538a
2 x cascade fathead
sm7
2 x sm57
bunch of audix mics
that mostly covers it

monitors yamaha hs80s and hs50s(x5)

Thanks for the advice!
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

I just saw they have a pair of focal cms-65s bstock for 1650 I would only have to pay a few hundred bucks more. Any thoughts on them? I might do that but I haven't researched monitors in so long. Could be fun to have a new pair. Getting tired of the Yamahas but SO familiar with them. Also probably couldn't part with my HS80s and my hs50s are my 5.1 setup so I'm not sure where I would put the Focals. I suppose I could figure that out.
Old 16th November 2013
Lives for gear

i would recommend against impulse buying of monitors unless there is a good returns policy. what aren't you achieving with all that gear you have?
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
i would recommend against impulse buying of monitors unless there is a good returns policy. what aren't you achieving with all that gear you have?
I have everything I NEED really. Now that I think about it... I do sometimes feel I'm not achieving the fat analog synth sounds I seek.

I want to spend the money on something that I will enjoy. I enjoy listening and mixing on nice speakers, and yamaha hs80s aren't exactly high end, so it seemed like a good idea. I'm also thinking about looking at their options for analog synths. And I love microphones. I don't have a really nice ribbon, hence looking at the coles... and I like the look of the telefunken a lot and it's about the right price.

I guess maybe your point is that neutral nearfield monitors like that are more for utility that listening enjoyment and if I'm not in need of better monitors I might regret it? I feel personally like I may be missing out with only having the yamahas.
Old 16th November 2013
A second distressor sounds like a plan to me!
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

You've got a really nice collection of gear already.

I think you're right that the monitors may be the weakest link.

If you can, I would keep hold of the credit, save some more money, and then in a few months get some really top notch monitors.
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
You've got a really nice collection of gear already.

I think you're right that the monitors may be the weakest link.

If you can, I would keep hold of the credit, save some more money, and then in a few months get some really top notch monitors.

How much do you think I would have to save? I always think of really nice monitors being around 10grand. It will probably be a while before I have that to spare. Are there any really great monitors for around 3-4k? I bet there's a million threads about that.

Would the Focal CMS-65s not be significantly better than my yamaha hs-80s? I imagine they would be but maybe not

I'm thinking I might just get a Moog slim phatty and some really nice mic stands and call it a day
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Guru

Find a gap in your signal chain that isn't already covered.

Are they an Apple retailer? How about a 30" display to work on.
Old 6th December 2013
Here for the gear

CMS65s are great however I'd save a little bit more and go for the Solo6s instead. The smoothness of the Beryllium tweeter allows you to mix and listen to them for days without your ears burning. Not to say the CMS series monitors are piercing, the 6 series monitors are just incredibly smooth yet very honest and detailed. They'd be much more of an upgrade from HS-80s.

I'd either go with those or a ribbon. Being that you're doing "all kinds of music" I'd go with a Shure KSM313 over a Coles 4038 as the vintage vibe of the Coles doesn't work well in every context/genre in my experience. The 313 is much more flexible, plus it's ribbon is virtually indestructible. You look at a 4038 the wrong way and you've got a busted ribbon..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search