The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reggae : gear and techniques Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd December 2018
  #241
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Somebody needs to bump this thread every couple months since it's one of the coolest in ages.


These guys really understand reggae music and how to play it. Another great band from Puerto Rico that I totally forgot about.








Bonus info: Jamaican engineer Errol Brown does the official mixes for Cultura Profetica. He is the guy who mixed most of Marley's later albums. Also mixes for Rebelution, Etana, Busy Signal, Tarrus Riley and also is the very man responsible for the seminal cuts "Night Nurse" by Gregory Isaacs and "Welcome to Jamrock" by Damien Marley!
I met Errol Brown in the city where I grew up, when we did a Stephen Marley concert.. Place was packed! He was mixing them live as well (not only in the studio). Great guy, very humble, despite being obviously a great engineer.



Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 3rd December 2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 3rd December 2018
  #242
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I met Errol Brown in the city where I grew up, when we did a Stephen Marley concert.. Place was packed! He was mixing them live as well (not only in the studio). Great guy, very humble, despite being obviously a great engineer.



Cheu

Very cool! Yes indeed, he still mixes a lot of live shows for major artists. He seems very humble based on the interviews of him I've seen online and if you go thru his discography he has been the mixing engineer behind some of the biggest Reggae tracks of all time including many of Culture's biggest hits like "International Herb", "Unconquered People" by Israel Vibes (which I think is their best sounding album) and Dawn Penn's "No No No"!!!!

Oh and I did I mention that he also Engineered and Mixed the Wailers' "Catch a Fire"? That's an incredibly unbelievable discography! How old is he now? Any idea? Apparently his son Shane Brown mixes very similar in style to him. If that's the case I might be sending some material his way in the upcoming year.
Old 12th December 2018
  #243
Here for the gear
 
rasmighty's Avatar
 

IRIE ITES
Long time I man following this 3d.
I would share with you & you some good live show to try to explain my vision of a proper reggae mood.
I found out this live show in San Francisco @ Maritime Hall by the great Don Carlos backed by The Freedom Fighter Band
I saw many post about "non Jamaican players" so I would know what do you think about this combination between white and black musicians.
As you can listen, if the drum&bass line go straight and solid, other parts follow easily.
Do you like the bass line in the intro ? I think this is a good example of "right vibes" specially during a live gig

DON CARLOS & FREEDOM FIGHTER BAND live in San Francisco @ Maritime Hall

Here the studio version, a true example of ruff&tuff productiaan

Don Carlos - Cool Johnny Cool

I have my own vision about reggae music and european/american style.
Sometimes people say me I'm "too radical" especially when it comes to roots reggae music, but I think that you have to feel the roots music.
Nobody can teach you if you can't feel it.
Bless up to all

Last edited by rasmighty; 12th December 2018 at 01:15 AM..
Old 12th December 2018
  #244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmighty View Post
IRIE ITES
Long time I man following this 3d.
I would share with you & you some good live show to try to explain my vision of a proper reggae mood.
I found out this live show in San Francisco @ Maritime Hall by the great Don Carlos backed by The Freedom Fighter Band
I saw many post about "non Jamaican players" so I would know what do you think about this combination between white and black musicians.
As you can listen, if the drum&bass line go straight and solid, other parts follow easily.
Do you like the bass line in the intro ? I think this is a good example of "right vibes" specially during a live gig

DON CARLOS & FREEDOM FIGHTER BAND live in San Francisco @ Maritime Hall

Here the studio version, a true example of ruff&tuff productiaan

Don Carlos - Cool Johnny Cool

I have my own vision about reggae music and european/american style.
Sometimes people say me I'm "too radical" especially when it comes to roots reggae music, but I think that you have to feel the roots music.
Nobody can teach you if you can't feel it.
Bless up to all
Big up me brethren!!!

Of course Black musicians have that "built in" swing and feeling, but personally I don't think it is a major thing... I've seen white men that have that swing and sing with that feeling and tune that we relate to black artists, and otoh have seen black musicians with swedish swing and out of tune singing...

I'm from Brazil, and have seen that Don Carlos show here... Roots to the bone from the Reggae Granpa!

Cheers from Brazil

EricFya

@Fyastudio
Old 12th December 2018
  #245
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmighty View Post
I found out this live show in San Francisco @ Maritime Hall by the great Don Carlos backed by The Freedom Fighter Band
I saw many post about "non Jamaican players" so I would know what do you think about this combination between white and black musicians.
As you can listen, if the drum&bass line go straight and solid, other parts follow easily.

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned anything about "white vs black" Reggae musicians or insinuated that one is superior to the other.

The conversation is more about "Jamaican vs. non-Jamaican" musicians/artists as it relates to authenticity and sincerity and the differences in their playing styles. Subtle but distinct difference.

I've posted several links with "white" artists making GREAT (read authentic) reggae music from Puerto Rico to Switzerland to France and even recently posted the Cultura Profetica video on the previous page of this thread. Each region has its own flavor.

Cultura Profetica for example is as roots as can be! Still, Jamaican Reggae has a particular vibe which cannot be denied and we need to honor the origins of this music and culture.




P.S. I used to go to the Maritime Hall in San Francisco every Saturday when I first stayed in Cali in my younger days! Used to see soooooo many great Reggae artists from Jamaica! That was before it was really hard to get travel visas. Man I miss those days!
Old 12th December 2018
  #246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned anything about "white vs black" Reggae musicians or insinuated that one is superior to the other.

The conversation is more about "Jamaican vs. non-Jamaican" musicians/artists as it relates to authenticity and sincerity and the differences in their playing styles. Subtle but distinct difference.

I've posted several links with "white" artists making GREAT (read authentic) reggae music from Puerto Rico to Switzerland to France and even recently posted the Cultura Profetica video on the previous page of this thread. Each region has its own flavor.

Cultura Profetica for example is as roots as can be! Still, Jamaican Reggae has a particular vibe which cannot be denied and we need to honor the origins of this music and culture.




P.S. I used to go to the Maritime Hall in San Francisco every Saturday when I first stayed in Cali in my younger days! Used to see soooooo many great Reggae artists from Jamaica! That was before it was really hard to get travel visas. Man I miss those days!
Irie!! Neither was my intention to start such argument, I just said that to me this mix is more than natural now that Reggae music is over 50 - 60 years old and each year that passes it's spreading and spreading and it's Irie inspiration instead of declining.
Old 13th December 2018
  #247
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootss View Post
Irie!! Neither was my intention to start such argument, I just said that to me this mix is more than natural now that Reggae music is over 50 - 60 years old and each year that passes it's spreading and spreading and it's Irie inspiration instead of declining.


Right on man. I just don’t want this beautiful thread to devolve into a black vs white musicians thread. Several pages back I brought up Gentleman's band for this very reason. Jamaicans have reggae flowing thru their veins, of course but there are other regions producing quality roots albeit with a slightly different feel. Viva La Difference!
Old 14th December 2018
  #248
Gear Maniac
 
drewbonez's Avatar
 

I produced an album several months ago with Vaughn Benjamin, formerly of Midnite, now Akae Beka, called Nurtured Frequency...this track below features Aston Barrett Jr on drums, myself on keyboards/mixing, and one of the best current roots reggae bass players Jah David...hope you enjoy, and I’m always into discussing anything roots and dub!!!
Old 15th December 2018
  #249
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
@ drewbonez


Good work above. I thought that name (Jah David) rang a bell. I had to google it but he’s the Bassie for Lustre King’s out of St. Croix. I’m mixing a Riddim of theirs right now for an artist out of Cali. They put out some quality stuff.

How did you get Aston on your project? And where did he record his drums? I have an upcoming project and was thinking he might be a good fit for the tune.

I have a buddy who was the session drummer on a few hit Morgan Heritage records who said he could introduce me next time I visit Florida but I’m curious how much he charges?

Aston sure seems like a humble guy. Superbly talented for sure. I recently discovered that he plays keys and produces for a lot of other Reggae artists.
Old 15th December 2018
  #250
Gear Maniac
 
drewbonez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
@ drewbonez


Good work above. I thought that name (Jah David) rang a bell. I had to google it but he’s the Bassie for Lustre King’s out of St. Croix. I’m mixing a Riddim of theirs right now for an artist out of Cali. They put out some quality stuff.

How did you get Aston on your project? And where did he record his drums? I have an upcoming project and was thinking he might be a good fit for the tune.

I have a buddy who was the session drummer on a few hit Morgan Heritage records who said he could introduce me next time I visit Florida but I’m curious how much he charges?

Aston sure seems like a humble guy. Superbly talented for sure. I recently discovered that he plays keys and produces for a lot of other Reggae artists.
Yes Jah David actually runs Zion high productions, I work alongside him, lustre king and I grade records with Zion I Kings...drums we’re recorded at Aston’s studio in Florida...I’m not sure on pricing as it was part of some studio sessions we did together...which artist are you mixing the track for?
Old 15th December 2018
  #251
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbonez View Post
Yes Jah David actually runs Zion high productions, I work alongside him, lustre king and I grade records with Zion I Kings...drums we’re recorded at Aston’s studio in Florida...I’m not sure on pricing as it was part of some studio sessions we did together...which artist are you mixing the track for?

Right on. Sure is a small world. The mix I’ll be doing is for Queen Makedah. It’s your “Heavy Manners” Riddim. She’s still in the process of cutting vocals. I really like the sound of the API console on drums at the St. Croix studio. Nice punchy, clean sounds. Good work and good luck man. Blessup!


P.S. are you “Moon”? If so QM speaks very highly of you and your work also speaks for itself!
Old 15th December 2018
  #252
Gear Maniac
 
drewbonez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Right on. Sure is a small world. The mix I’ll be doing is for Queen Makedah. It’s your “Heavy Manners” Riddim. She’s still in the process of cutting vocals. I really like the sound of the API console on drums at the St. Croix studio. Nice punchy, clean sounds. Good work and good luck man. Blessup!


P.S. are you “Moon”? If so QM speaks very highly of you and your work also speaks for itself!
No I go by drew keys...I play mostly all the keys and trombone on the releases from the crew...Moon is great, he is on tour with Akae Beka currently...I’m in Cali often playing shows...Aqua Sounds in st croix is a great studio, we haven’t recorded there in a while unfortunately, but have done quite a few sessions Miami recently at a studio called the dungeon
Old 15th December 2018
  #253
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbonez View Post
No I go by drew keys...I play mostly all the keys and trombone on the releases from the crew...Moon is great, he is on tour with Akae Beka currently...I’m in Cali often playing shows...Aqua Sounds in st croix is a great studio, we haven’t recorded there in a while unfortunately, but have done quite a few sessions Miami recently at a studio called the dungeon
No worries. Still, good work above. I’m a keysie as well but took a really long hiatus. Also play bass and drums. Just starting to get back into writing and producing. Hopefully our paths will cross again. Blessings!
Old 17th December 2018
  #254
Gear Maniac
 
drewbonez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
No worries. Still, good work above. I’m a keysie as well but took a really long hiatus. Also play bass and drums. Just starting to get back into writing and producing. Hopefully our paths will cross again. Blessings!
link up on Instagram drew.keys if you're on there
Old 17th December 2018
  #255
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbonez View Post
link up on Instagram drew.keys if you're on there

Done! just followed you. I'm @ Int erplayrecordingstudios. Blessup my musical brutha!
Old 17th April 2019
  #256
Gear Head
 

Last weekend I thought id trawl through my various bookmarks and liked videos and start putting together a website of resources that I can go back to about Dub. Here you go. Very early days but if anyone has any other resources that would be useful and want up. Please give me a shout. Cheers!! Dubcarrier – Bass, Beats, Rhythms and Dubs
Old 17th April 2019
  #257
Gear Head
There are some videos of Lee Scratch Perry using some TEAC 4-tracks, like TEAC A-3440 or similar.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump