The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quested V2108 vs Geithain RL906 ?
Old 2nd November 2013
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quested V2108 vs Geithain RL906 ?

Can anyone tell me the difference between how Quested and Geithain sound? More specifically Quested V2108 vs Geithain RL906. if you have heard both, which one do you prefer?

I'm looking into buying a second pair (I have PSI A21 right now) and am looking for a musical and sweet monitor that is pleasing to listen to and inspiring to work on. I plan to use a sub with the second pair, so I'm not really concerned with how deep they go.

thanks!
Old 3rd November 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Hjelmevold's Avatar
Since you plan to use a subwoofer anyway, have you considered the Quested S series, such as the S6/7/8R?

My experience is mostly from the H208 and RL922K1, but I've also heard the VH/VS2108 in a friend's studio and the RL906 in a store. And I have a Focusrite VRM box where the Quested S8 is emulated - does that count?

Anyway, first I'd say that Anghello's comment from another GS thread is fairly accurate with my impression of how the family sound differs between these brands:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
Geithain - tape projector - (warm, big, emotional and bit crisp/tape saturated)
Quested - big digital cinema plate (wide, oceanic, deep, natural, realistic, well-real world translation)
PSI - LED TV (details which make all projectors get a walk, smaller image and addictive to room, but extremely precise and accurate)
If I may add to the statement above, I feel that Questeds are more saturated in the bass to low mids, while Geithains are more saturated from the mids to the highs. If you like hearing some texture in the bass, the Questeds are better, and they make it easy to judge how solid the bass sits in a mix. Geithains seem a little more open in the bass, maybe a bit more elastic than the firm Quested bass.

The highs are quite different - Questeds feel a bit recessed, but natural, while Geithains feel more direct and crisp (closer to PSIs in the way that the sound is beamed towards your ears, but thicker). I also feel like the sound stange of Questeds is a bit closer to the ground, probably because of their recessed highs. The Quested sound stage feels like a completely natural extension of your room, while the Geithain sound stage takes you more into the virtual sound stages that you've created in the mix, while "leaving the door open" back into your studio.

I can't say which brand I prefer. You say that you want a monitor that sounds musical and sweet, and in that sense, Geithains fit well. But I believe Questeds would serve as a better contrast to the PSIs that you already have, and in that combination I don't think you lose anything compared to the Geithains.

Then there's the more practical differences: The V2108s are large, heavy and their amps reportedly get quite hot after a while. So the RL906s win when it comes to portability and fitting into a crowded studio. On the other hand it's easier to buy/sell Questeds on the second-hand market, compared to Geithains which are not a well-known brand name. And then there's the looks, where Questeds look professional, while Geithains look more eccentric with their coaxial drivers and custom veneer options.
Old 3rd November 2013
  #3
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

I have the Geithain RL906 - I find them a clean and neutral monitor I can trust. The co-axial drivers do give an excellent stereo image with depth that is often missing with conventional layouts.

The top ports mean that there is no bass-port faffing at you, nor back to the rear wall.

The Sound On Sound review is HERE if you want to take a look.
Old 3rd November 2013
  #4
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

I forgot to mention that Geithain upgraded the RL906 a year or so ago, so the tweeter is slightly raised, which improves the sound.

As the 906 is a small portable monitor, there is also a flight case or strong padded carrying case for them - pictured on the UK website here.
Old 4th November 2013
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
Since you plan to use a subwoofer anyway, have you considered the Quested S series, such as the S6/7/8R?

My experience is mostly from the H208 and RL922K1, but I've also heard the VH/VS2108 in a friend's studio and the RL906 in a store. And I have a Focusrite VRM box where the Quested S8 is emulated - does that count?

Anyway, first I'd say that Anghello's comment from another GS thread is fairly accurate with my impression of how the family sound differs between these brands:



If I may add to the statement above, I feel that Questeds are more saturated in the bass to low mids, while Geithains are more saturated from the mids to the highs. If you like hearing some texture in the bass, the Questeds are better, and they make it easy to judge how solid the bass sits in a mix. Geithains seem a little more open in the bass, maybe a bit more elastic than the firm Quested bass.

The highs are quite different - Questeds feel a bit recessed, but natural, while Geithains feel more direct and crisp (closer to PSIs in the way that the sound is beamed towards your ears, but thicker). I also feel like the sound stange of Questeds is a bit closer to the ground, probably because of their recessed highs. The Quested sound stage feels like a completely natural extension of your room, while the Geithain sound stage takes you more into the virtual sound stages that you've created in the mix, while "leaving the door open" back into your studio.

I can't say which brand I prefer. You say that you want a monitor that sounds musical and sweet, and in that sense, Geithains fit well. But I believe Questeds would serve as a better contrast to the PSIs that you already have, and in that combination I don't think you lose anything compared to the Geithains.

Then there's the more practical differences: The V2108s are large, heavy and their amps reportedly get quite hot after a while. So the RL906s win when it comes to portability and fitting into a crowded studio. On the other hand it's easier to buy/sell Questeds on the second-hand market, compared to Geithains which are not a well-known brand name. And then there's the looks, where Questeds look professional, while Geithains look more eccentric with their coaxial drivers and custom veneer options.
thanks Hjelmevold for your answer!

I have considered S7R, but I do feel like V2108 might be a more interesting pair. but there is also the question of cost, which can't be ignored. V2108 is more expensive than S7R or RL906. I like the idea of having one set that is on the bright side and one that is darker. or at least one that is detailed and analytical and one that is non-fatiguing, emotional and sounds big. (not that the PSI are fatiguing, they are very nice.) I personally like warm, dark sound and I have a tendency of mixing the bass and lower mids too loud when producing and writing music, so I guess Quested would be good for me if they are dark, as you say.

what draws me to the Geithain is their reputation of being very emotional. but it wouldn't do any good if they are always emotional, even if the source is not and would fool me in that way.

concerning the sound stage, I have noticed that if you place the PSI in a certain position it almost feels like you are listening to headphones. is that what you mean by virtual sound stage?

my studio is not very crowded, and I have space for big near field speakers, so V2108 would fit I think. I think my PSI are about 1.5 m from my ears now, but I'm interested in bringing them in a little closer and have a second pair where the PSI are now. I don't really care about the looks, just the sound and if the speakers are easy to work on and if they are inspiring when producing music.
Old 4th November 2013
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

I wish I could just buy it and try it. endlessly reading gearslutz and wondering makes me go in circles

one thing I'd like to add, I think it would be kinda cool to have a combo of Quested V2108 and Spiral Groove Studio One. I believe they are both very musical and nice to listen to, and the SGS1 would give me a very detailed view while V2108 would give me power and punch. I sometimes think I should buy the Quested pair and then sell my beloved PSI and buy SGS1. would be interesting...
Old 4th November 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Geithains (RL901k) are great for making music, big screen, unbiased presentation of the sounds (it doesn't force you to think only one way) and neutral enough in the detail (not overdetailed when the source isn't). So it's big stage with nice perspective, not the front row with everything in your face and microscopic detail jumping out at you.

This means you can do dark or bright or midrangey style of production without feeling forced one or the other way because it doesn't suit the speaker. It won't tire you (if you're not monitoring loud of course). It won't give you false sense of detail when there is little (of it).
On the other hand, it won't shout "WRONG!!!" at you and mediocre mix will sound ok. So it is good to have a pair of "magnifier glass" monitors with attitude around. I use adam s3a for that and what I've heard about PSI it might be a good match. On adams everything tends to sound somewhat boxy and sometimes they make me realize I've slipped into treating Geithains as if they were NS10s. That's not a good mindset (for mixing on them) ;-).
Old 4th November 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Hjelmevold's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
concerning the sound stage, I have noticed that if you place the PSI in a certain position it almost feels like you are listening to headphones. is that what you mean by virtual sound stage?
That's not quite what I meant. I agree that PSIs can have a headphone-like sound when it comes to the amount of details that you can hear (and I've experienced the same with ATC and Barefoot monitors). But the sound stage (where individual elements in a mix seem to originate from when you hear them) is radically different between headphones and monitors, due to cross feed, room factors, and so forth. So I'll try to explain a little better what I meant:

By "virtual sound stage" I mean this: Let's say you have miked a stereo pair OH track and another stereo pair Guitar track. You start listening to the whole mix. If you focus on the details from the OH track, you can imagine that your head is positioned where the OH mics were during the take. But then you switch focus to the Guitar, and you can imagine that your head is positioned right in front of the guitar during the take. These are two separate virtual head positions, but your actual head is still in the studio. Hence the phrase "virtual sound stages".

On the Geithains, these virtual sound stages are easier to identify and separate than on many other monitors. For instance, this makes it easy to check compatibility between two different types of reverb used in the mix, to check if both reverbs create a cohesive virtual sound stage when combined. You do this by relocating your imaginary listening position when you switch focus, as if you're a listener traveling around between the recorded instruments. All the time, you can still hear the coloration caused by the studio that you're listening in, but it doesn't really interfere with the other virtual sound stages. The actual sound stage in your listening room remains a separate entity that only demands your attention if you focus on it, which was what I meant by "leaving the door open" back into your studio.

In contrast, on the Questeds the virtual sound stages from each instrument blend more into each other, in addition to blending with the actual sound stage in your listening environment. You can imagine that the monitors are painting a wall of sound inside your studio, and every time you switch focus, this wall is re-painted with the musicians being in different orientations compared to your previous focus. So when checking for cohesiveness in the combined sound stage, you try to identify irregularities and interference patterns in the sound that is presented to you, instead of actively seeking out virtual sound stages. I believe this is one of the reasons why Geithains seem vivid and Questeds seem natural; the former has you visiting each musician in a virtual sound stage, while the latter has each musician visiting you right where you're sitting. Does this make any sense?

Important note: While I've worked on both Questeds and Geithains for a substantial time, I've never actually compared them side by side. So it could be that all the comments that I made above are actually caused by circumstances in each room rather than the monitors themselves. Maybe my observations would even have been reversed, had there been different circumstances! I guess you'll have to figure out the truth on your own somehow
Old 4th November 2013
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Geithains (RL901k) are great for making music, big screen, unbiased presentation of the sounds (it doesn't force you to think only one way) and neutral enough in the detail (not overdetailed when the source isn't). So it's big stage with nice perspective, not the front row with everything in your face and microscopic detail jumping out at you.

This means you can do dark or bright or midrangey style of production without feeling forced one or the other way because it doesn't suit the speaker. It won't tire you (if you're not monitoring loud of course). It won't give you false sense of detail when there is little (of it).
On the other hand, it won't shout "WRONG!!!" at you and mediocre mix will sound ok. So it is good to have a pair of "magnifier glass" monitors with attitude around. I use adam s3a for that and what I've heard about PSI it might be a good match. On adams everything tends to sound somewhat boxy and sometimes they make me realize I've slipped into treating Geithains as if they were NS10s. That's not a good mindset (for mixing on them) ;-).
thanks matucha!

good to know that geithains don't shout "WRONG!!!" at you. the PSI don't do that either. actually I sometimes miss it. I'd like to have a more opinionated speaker, especially when trying to find a good balance for the mix. (but of course, by comparing mixes to good reference it's easy to hear when the balance is off.)
Old 4th November 2013
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
That's not quite what I meant. I agree that PSIs can have a headphone-like sound when it comes to the amount of details that you can hear (and I've experienced the same with ATC and Barefoot monitors). But the sound stage (where individual elements in a mix seem to originate from when you hear them) is radically different between headphones and monitors, due to cross feed, room factors, and so forth. So I'll try to explain a little better what I meant:

By "virtual sound stage" I mean this: Let's say you have miked a stereo pair OH track and another stereo pair Guitar track. You start listening to the whole mix. If you focus on the details from the OH track, you can imagine that your head is positioned where the OH mics were during the take. But then you switch focus to the Guitar, and you can imagine that your head is positioned right in front of the guitar during the take. These are two separate virtual head positions, but your actual head is still in the studio. Hence the phrase "virtual sound stages".

On the Geithains, these virtual sound stages are easier to identify and separate than on many other monitors. For instance, this makes it easy to check compatibility between two different types of reverb used in the mix, to check if both reverbs create a cohesive virtual sound stage when combined. You do this by relocating your imaginary listening position when you switch focus, as if you're a listener traveling around between the recorded instruments. All the time, you can still hear the coloration caused by the studio that you're listening in, but it doesn't really interfere with the other virtual sound stages. The actual sound stage in your listening room remains a separate entity that only demands your attention if you focus on it, which was what I meant by "leaving the door open" back into your studio.

In contrast, on the Questeds the virtual sound stages from each instrument blend more into each other, in addition to blending with the actual sound stage in your listening environment. You can imagine that the monitors are painting a wall of sound inside your studio, and every time you switch focus, this wall is re-painted with the musicians being in different orientations compared to your previous focus. So when checking for cohesiveness in the combined sound stage, you try to identify irregularities and interference patterns in the sound that is presented to you, instead of actively seeking out virtual sound stages. I believe this is one of the reasons why Geithains seem vivid and Questeds seem natural; the former has you visiting each musician in a virtual sound stage, while the latter has each musician visiting you right where you're sitting. Does this make any sense?

Important note: While I've worked on both Questeds and Geithains for a substantial time, I've never actually compared them side by side. So it could be that all the comments that I made above are actually caused by circumstances in each room rather than the monitors themselves. Maybe my observations would even have been reversed, had there been different circumstances! I guess you'll have to figure out the truth on your own somehow
ah ok, I understand now, thanks! it must be fun to listen to soundscapes on the Geithains. I work mainly with electronic music so "sound stages" are created with reverb plugins and such things, usually rather artificial. makes me wonder if it's a good thing to have such a virtual sound stage? I can't really tell. perhaps it makes you work less on creating a depth and space within the mix since everything sounds vivid already?

for comparison, what do you think of the sound stage on the PSI?

but you are right, I need to listen to these speakers myself, I'm going crazy with curiosity!
Old 4th November 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Hjelmevold's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
I work mainly with electronic music so "sound stages" are created with reverb plugins and such things, usually rather artificial. makes me wonder if it's a good thing to have such a virtual sound stage? I can't really tell. perhaps it makes you work less on creating a depth and space within the mix since everything sounds vivid already?
Well, if you're mainly making C64-style chiptunes, you probably won't need to worry about that, but in all other EDM styles, you need to create an illusion. It's the same as with animated film: You can choose to use cartoonish effects, or try more realism-imitating 3D effects, but the audience has to somehow believe in the result in order to become immersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
for comparison, what do you think of the sound stage on the PSI?
I find it a little difficult to describe the PSI sound stage, because on one hand you get a very good overview of the different virtual sound stages, but you don't get a lot of details about each of them until you "zoom in" by focusing on them. A little bit like the sound stage is a canvas where some Swiss scientists have made a diagram outlining where everything is positioned in the mix, as well as a summary of each element's most prominent features. When zooming in on an element in the mix, you get a new diagram with some additional details, but you don't quite feel that you're there in the virtual space, it's simply a representation. I guess this is what people refer to as a "clinical" sound stage?

In addition to this, my A215-Ms have a very smooth sound stage degredation outside of the sweet spot, which adds to the illusion that there's a piece of canvas/paper in between the speakers where all the features in the mix are described. And the crazy bit is that because of their incredibly linear phase, I can move sideways (even well past one of the speakers) and the phantom image is still dead center between the speakers. I can't say the same thing about the Geithains - there you get more of the Haas effect of the sound coming from the closest speaker, before it's delayed clone arrives from the farthest speaker. So on Geithains you lose the engaging sound stage outside of the sweet spot, and it just becomes speakers playing music instead. Luckily, their sweet spot is rather large, so it's not something I would worry about unless you mix a lot together with people next to you.

Another term that could summarize what I feel about the PSI sound stage, is "X-ray image". You get a very detailed schematic, but it's in grayscale and not in color
Old 4th November 2013
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Geithains (RL901k) are great for making music, big screen, unbiased presentation of the sounds (it doesn't force you to think only one way) and neutral enough in the detail (not overdetailed when the source isn't). So it's big stage with nice perspective, not the front row with everything in your face and microscopic detail jumping out at you.
hey matucha, i have another question. do the RL901 and RL906 sound the same, except for the low end? do you think it would be very similar experience if I would add a decent sub to the RL906? (except of course subs tend to sound disconnected from the speakers, and might not be ideal for mixing, but I'll have the PSI for reference for that..)
Old 4th November 2013
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post

good to know that geithains don't shout "WRONG!!!" at you. the PSI don't do that either. actually I sometimes miss it. I'd like to have a more opinionated speaker, especially when trying to find a good balance for the mix. (but of course, by comparing mixes to good reference it's easy to hear when the balance is off.)
I feel the urge to recommend a set of really cheap speakers which are exactly what you're asking for, but it would be blatant pimping.
Old 4th November 2013
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I feel the urge to recommend a set of really cheap speakers which are exactly what you're asking for, but it would be blatant pimping.
heh your littlepapercones are no doubt very good! but I don't think I need them right now. I am mainly thinking about the balance of the low freq, since that's usually where I'm boosting too much. it's very obvious when I compare my stuff to reference tracks (and switch between the psi and mixcubes) so it's not a huge problem.

but I'm very interested in your opinion on the Geithains! :D have you listened to them? I already know what you think about the Quested. I've never seen you say anything on here that I disagree with, so please do tell us what you think
Old 4th November 2013
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
heh your littlepapercones are no doubt very good! but I don't think I need them right now. I am mainly thinking about the balance of the low freq, since that's usually where I'm boosting too much. it's very obvious when I compare my stuff to reference tracks (and switch between the psi and mixcubes) so it's not a huge problem.

but I'm very interested in your opinion on the Geithains! :D have you listened to them? I already know what you think about the Quested. I've never seen you say anything on here that I disagree with, so please do tell us what you think
I can't help you here unfortunately, as I haven't tried ANY Geithans as of yet........it would have to be 944's for me, and as there is NO way I could afford them I purposely haven't listened......
Old 5th November 2013
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I can't help you here unfortunately, as I haven't tried ANY Geithans as of yet........it would have to be 944's for me, and as there is NO way I could afford them I purposely haven't listened......
alright fair enough... I'd love to have 944 as well, why does everything good have to be so expensive?
Old 5th November 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
hey matucha, i have another question. do the RL901 and RL906 sound the same, except for the low end? do you think it would be very similar experience if I would add a decent sub to the RL906? (except of course subs tend to sound disconnected from the speakers, and might not be ideal for mixing, but I'll have the PSI for reference for that..)
I can't help you there unfortunatelly. I've heard RL906 for about 1 hour in one studio which acoustics are quite different than mine. It felt familiar, yet different. Those 16" woofers let rl901 sound huge and effortless... 906 didn't have problems reproducing normal bass and the rolloff felt natural. Sub? Nah... just go and buy bigger speakers .

It's hard to write more after the Hjelmevold posts.
I can just add Adams (s3a) have the weirdest imaging of all the speakers I've heard. Even when really close together you get strong L - M - R with some strange ear-warp between, panning mono sources almost never sounds right on them. Also the bass rolloff doesn't sound very natural. Weird speakers... it's very hard to please them while not screwing the audio for the rest of the world. I like the challenge though.

Electronic landscapes on Geithains? They have opened so many possibilities to me, I've never had that with KH, Dynaudios, Adams, Yamahas before... ATC, PMC, PSI, Quested... they all could be better in one way or another. Never heard them... to my surprise I liked big Genelecs (3ways), great resolution in the mids and also the way how they reveal grainy reverb tails was surprising to me. Can't hear that so obviously on Geithains (!), at least not in my room.
Old 5th November 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
I have heard in detail and many times basically most of the Geithains and Quested monitors..

In my opinion: first - Geithain 906 and Quested V2108 are not really comparable. 906 are small and V2108 much bigger (with bigger bass and overall volume). 906 sound very clean and 3D, but limited to its size (some people may feel the lack of bass). V2108 sound much more complex and bigger. RL 906 may be more comparable to Quested S7R.

There is a basic difference between Geithain 2 ways and 3 ways monitors. 3 ways monitors (RL 922, 933, 944 and of course 901k) have the cardioid bass that is very unique feature and in general more balanced sound than 2 ways models .

Comparing to Quested, Geithain sound is a bit more pronounced in highs and may be less "demanding" to work on (may sound quite "pretty" sometimes), while Quested may sound a bit more natural, having great mids presentation and will not let you to be happy with the result easily ...
Old 6th November 2013
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
I can't help you there unfortunatelly. I've heard RL906 for about 1 hour in one studio which acoustics are quite different than mine. It felt familiar, yet different. Those 16" woofers let rl901 sound huge and effortless... 906 didn't have problems reproducing normal bass and the rolloff felt natural. Sub? Nah... just go and buy bigger speakers .
alright, thank you! 16" woofers on the geithain must sound really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
In my opinion: first - Geithain 906 and Quested V2108 are not really comparable. 906 are small and V2108 much bigger (with bigger bass and overall volume). 906 sound very clean and 3D, but limited to its size (some people may feel the lack of bass). V2108 sound much more complex and bigger. RL 906 may be more comparable to Quested S7R.

Comparing to Quested, Geithain sound is a bit more pronounced in highs and may be less "demanding" to work on (may sound quite "pretty" sometimes), while Quested may sound a bit more natural, having great mids presentation and will not let you to be happy with the result easily ...
thank you very much for your answer, I think I have a better idea what the difference is between these speakers. it seems that everything points towards Quested. that they will not let you be happy with the results easily is something I would really like to have.
Old 6th November 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Well, not to make everything so easy for you,I would remark that V3110 is something to consider too (and you will not need a sub much) The sound difference between V2108 and V3110 (2 way and 3 way) is quite some (if your room can bear the size). After having here all the Quested and PSI (from small to big) I finally ended with V3110 a PSI A17 And this is a perfect combo for me ...
Geithains are great monitors too ... they sound very impressive and they work very well in problematic spaces (like living rooms etc.) where PSI or Quested may have problems

(BTW - I plan to come to Iceland with my son in May
Old 6th November 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
JP__'s Avatar
 

Ive worked several years on geithain and listening to a some of there range. In my experiences the different geithains dont sound very similar. The smaller two ways like mo2 sound more mid forward but a bit boxy in the mids (honky doublebass sound), the bigger 2ways like 940 are too soft in mids (always very smooth string sound) and the 3ways are more even sounding.
For me they sounded always a little flattering and everything seems to sound finished very early. They sound very spacey and wide but yet compact with a bit inaccurate soundstage.
I would prefer them more for listening than working, but my experiemences with the 3way models are limited.
Old 6th November 2013
  #22
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
hey matucha, i have another question. do the RL901 and RL906 sound the same, except for the low end? do you think it would be very similar experience if I would add a decent sub to the RL906? (except of course subs tend to sound disconnected from the speakers, and might not be ideal for mixing, but I'll have the PSI for reference for that..)
In my experience - yes - and I have heard them side-by-side.

The 906 are bass-reflex, of course, and not cardioid like the 901K.

But I found it difficult to tell which was which, other then the extended bottom end of the 901K.

A Geithain sub, would put the bass end into the 906 and keep a small installation - and the sub would be cardioid to prevent the muddying of the bass by the room.
Old 6th November 2013
  #23
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Ive worked several years on geithain and listening to a some of there range. In my experiences the different geithains dont sound very similar. The smaller two ways like mo2 sound more mid forward but a bit boxy in the mids (honky doublebass sound), the bigger 2ways like 940 are too soft in mids (always very smooth string sound) and the 3ways are more even sounding.
For me they sounded always a little flattering and everything seems to sound finished very early. They sound very spacey and wide but yet compact with a bit inaccurate soundstage.
I would prefer them more for listening than working, but my experiemences with the 3way models are limited.
I would not compare the MO range to the professional studio monitor RL range.

The RL range do all sound the same and are very neutral.

Read this thread - especially post 897 and those around it. Post 897 is where he is using the Geithains.
Old 6th November 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JP__'s Avatar
 

Not in my experiences. nor I find them "neutral" (whatever it means for a speaker)
But speakers are a personal thing, makes no sense to talk about it in a forum.
Old 6th November 2013
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Well, not to make everything so easy for you,I would remark that V3110 is something to consider too (and you will not need a sub much) The sound difference between V2108 and V3110 (2 way and 3 way) is quite some (if your room can bear the size). After having here all the Quested and PSI (from small to big) I finally ended with V3110 a PSI A17 And this is a perfect combo for me ...
Geithains are great monitors too ... they sound very impressive and they work very well in problematic spaces (like living rooms etc.) where PSI or Quested may have problems

(BTW - I plan to come to Iceland with my son in May
V3110 are no doubt fantastic, but they are out of my budget and my room is too small. maybe one day.

Iceland in May is very nice! let me know if you need some info about Iceland for your trip.
Old 27th November 2013
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

A pair of Quested V2108 are on their way from Germany!

Old 27th November 2013
  #27
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
A pair of Quested V2108 are on their way from Germany!

Hmmm, cuddly. They´ll make you smile.....
Old 20th December 2013
  #28
Gear Maniac
how are you liking the v2108's , I will be deciding between v2108, Geithain & neumann KH 310 in new year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
A pair of Quested V2108 are on their way from Germany!


Last edited by optionalanalogue; 20th December 2013 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Old 20th December 2013
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionalanalogue View Post
how are you liking the v2108's , I will be deciding between v2108, Geithain & neumann KH 310 in new year.
I haven't received them yet, they were shipped by sea. one of them is waiting for me in customs, but the other one got misrouted, missed the ship by two days, so I'm still waiting...

maybe tomorrow!
Old 4th January 2014
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
Yagya's Avatar
 

Well, finally I got both V2108 speakers in my studio today, after a very, very long wait. I bought them used from CML Musik Studio in Germany, so I don't think I need to break them in. they are in mint condition.

I connected them to my Lavry DA11 and placed them on new stands (Ultimate Support MS MKII). I tried to place them properly, but I will need to play around with that of course. my room is far from perfect, but also far from terrible.

here are my first impressions after listening for one evening, compared to PSI (very nontechnical, sorry about that)
  • Quested have stronger bass and bigger bottom, and seem to be less sensitive to placement regarding bass. I'm kinda going mad with trying to find the right position for the PSI, but the Quested just sound nice. they are definitely helping me level the bass and kick which is sometimes a problem on PSI, and I always missed some punch in the PSI. So that's very good.
  • quested more revealing in the lower mids. some (mastered) music I'm listening to have sort of a resonating low-mid freq mud (200-400 hz maybe) I'm not hearing in the PSI. I'm not sure if it's my room or just the speakers. I don't hear this in everything I listen to, and mixes that I look up to (like most of my favorite reference tracks) don't seem to have this problem. when I listen to some of my newest mixes that I thought were ready for mastering, well... ehmmm... then I can hear a huge difference between PSI and Quested in the lower mids! dear, oh dear. but that's the reason I bought a second pair, so they seem to be doing their job. : ) [PS. as I'm writing this I moved the Quested closer to me and it seems to have improved a bit, that resonating sound isn't as loud now, but the differences in my mixes between PSI and Quested are still there. I need to investigate this further later, I'm kinda becoming confused... ]
  • Quested are not as detailed in the highs, the PSI seem more open, unforgiving and analytical at the top. Quested are pleasant though, and a bit darker I guess.
  • Quested does not have as precise stereo image as PSI. for example the PSI have a very good phantom center (when properly positioned), it's almost like there is an extra speaker right in the middle. I don't get that listening to the Quested, but perhaps I need to play around with their position more. I didn't place the monitors for proper comparison (the order from left to right is QP <-> PQ, not QP <-> QP) so the stereo image for the PSI is not as large now, I'm not happy with the placement of the PSI. I'm trying to figure out how to place the speakers in near field position and still have good wide stereo for both pairs.
  • Quested are powerful and the sound has more "teeth", if that makes sense. quite impressive when you turn up the volume. I'd say that the PSI gets louder when turned up, but the Quested gets more powerful.
  • Quested are not quite as pleasant as PSI. I think it has something to do with the openness of the PSI, their general loveliness and also the lower mids can be tiny bit tiring thb. but again, it might just be the placement and my room.

those are the things I'm noticing right now. I need to work more on placement and the stereo image for the PSI now. I want to position the PSI so the they draw you into another world (like headphones) and the speakers disappear, which is quite lovely!! I will need move them apart and probably place them outside of the Quested (like PQ <-> QP) and have them close to me. that might hit the spot. PSI are insanely sensitive to placement! it's just crazy.

I can't really say which is better, they seem to have different qualities, which is what I was expecting. I'm of course a bit biased as I just spent lots of money on speakers I didn't listen to beforehand. :P there are no real surprises, as I read just about everything I found about them, and had some idea what to expect. and I can already hear some very obvious mix mistakes I didn't hear on the PSI, so things are looking good.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump