The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quested V2108 vs Geithain RL906 ?
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you for your detailed first impressions! You mention that Questeds are less sensitive to placement than PSIs... I would put it this way: PSIs are very sensitive to placement (particularly early reflections), while Questeds are more on par with regular speakers in this regard.

The comments you make on the low mids and below depend very much on your monitor placement, but overall the difference that you mention between PSI and Quested, matches my impressions as well.

I think the next natural step for you now, is to do some acoustic measurements to help you find the best placement of your studio monitors. You'll need Room EQ Wizard and a measurement microphone. If you feel tempted to try room optimization, there's a measurement microphone included in the ARC 2 bundle. Now prepare yourself for weeks of trial and error, and weeks of questioning your own placement decisions
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

thanks for the advice, Hjelmevold. I will try to look into measuring my room soon. My friend, who sometimes designs rooms, is constantly recommending it. I'm interested in how I should treat my room more, there is definitely room for improvement. but I'm not very fond of this idea of room correction EQ, I'd rather just treat the room more and move the speakers. that might make the room sound better over all and not just the listening position. well that's the idea at least. perhaps it's not so practical in the end.

I'm of course constantly moving both the PSI and Quested right now, and probably won't stop until I realize that I can't get any better sound out of them. it seems to be a game of compromises, trying to optimize the room's nulls and peaks and the speaker's stereo image.

The Quested seem to be enjoying their new home. I believe they are much better at balancing the mix, as the PSI are not really that good at it. the PSI are very good for telling me what sounds are in the mix and are good at leveling things, but they don't tell me if the bass is too loud compared to the highs.

I'm not absolutely sure if they are more musical than the PSI, but perhaps I need to look for very musical mixes to test out. One piece did stand out tho and that was "Lento e largo—Tranquillissimo" by Henryk Górecki. that was actually amazing. I listen mostly to alternative pop and electronic music and some (not all) might possibly be lacking in this mystical "musicality" department. (not saying they do! just wondering.) I will listen more. but right now I'm stressed out trying to "finish" my new album for mastering.
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Having two different speaker sets at different spot (obviously) is as if you had another camera from another angle. You can make something work for one camera, but once you turn a bit all those precious uberperfections can turn false, distorting the (3d) model in unintended way that works only from that one angle.

If you have experience and good reference material (to keep you on track), you have nothing to fear with your album mixes. And don't forget to walk around the room and take measure at places that sound balanced (in a way) to you. I like to listen at the "client couch" at the back of my studio, because it is solid for ~100hz region which is a tad uneven at my sweetspot for example...

Good luck!
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Having two different speaker sets at different spot (obviously) is as if you had another camera from another angle. You can make something work for one camera, but once you turn a bit all those precious uberperfections can turn false, distorting the (3d) model in unintended way that works only from that one angle.

If you have experience and good reference material (to keep you on track), you have nothing to fear with your album mixes. And don't forget to walk around the room and take measure at places that sound balanced (in a way) to you. I like to listen at the "client couch" at the back of my studio, because it is solid for ~100hz region which is a tad uneven at my sweetspot for example...

Good luck!
thanks for your support! I use reference material and try to walk around the studio once in a while. It will be ok, I think. I'm just trying to do it right this time! been working on it forever now, sensible people would have stopped long ago! but I need to have it mastered in january, so this is it, the moment of truth.

I must say that PSI are not terrible at creating a good balance, I just think the PSI are very sensitive to placement regarding the low end, and can appear weak if placed in non-optimal position, especially in a sub-optimal room. but it's all there, as one can hear when moving them around. the low end was just wrong where I sat, even if my reference material sounded pretty good. so I made some drastic changes to my setup and now my mixing errors are more obvious.

but still, the v2108 are extremely helpful in this regard and are actually quite pleasant to work on. they seem to give me more confidence than the PSI while mixing (PSI are more analytical yet gentle, are less judgemental concerning mixing decisions and the balance, and are more open so you can hear into the mix, I think.) you are more concerned about the big picture instead of details when using v2108. or as they say: you mix the song, not the sounds. quite nice! I'm of course a bit biased because I am excited about my new toys.

But this camera perspective analogy is cool. Good monitors are designed to translate and show you the flaws, so I guess a fictional perfect monitor would show you all angels of the 3D image? maybe that is just impossible, I'm not sure.
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

It's just an idea of analogy that one day happen to show up in my mind . And all (or most) analogies are flawed. Though what I ment is you get more info from your room if you move around and if you have more sources (that are designed differently, so they don't have the same weaknesses). You know some great mixes sound great on both your speakers (almost) no matter where you're in your room. So it's bad when your own mix doesn't work as intended on one set or the groove works differently when you step back.

Maybe in the perfect room you can rely just on one spot/source.
Old 6th January 2014
I really love the Quested V2108's, they are much better than the VS2108, at least in my experience.
Much more defined in the midrange

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 6th January 2014 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: EDITED FOR PROPER INFO
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I really love the Quested VS2108's, they are much better than the V2108, at least in my experience.
Much more defined in the midrange
that's interesting! but you seem to have changed your mind since 2011
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6566171-post21.html

I'm curious, what made you change your mind ? was the translation not as good?
Old 6th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
that's interesting! but you seem to have changed your mind since 2011
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6566171-post21.html

I'm curious, what made you change your mind ? was the translation not as good?
Sorry....I was not awake, and reversed the model numbers. I am sorry.

I am getting coffee right now,

The New model are the V2108. Sorry for this confusion. I like the new model better.

I am a moron today,
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Sorry....I was not awake, and reversed the model numbers. I am sorry.

I am getting coffee right now,

The New model are the V2108. Sorry for this confusion. I like the new model better.

I am a moron today,
you got me worried there for a second! haha, well glad we cleared that up.

enjoy your day!
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Wow, Yagya, i can't believe it's really you! I'm such a big fan of your music, especially of your album Rigning. People, if you haven't heard this one you don't know what you're missing, regardless what you usually listen to. Also, i always liked your mixes.

Btw, how do you like your new speakers? Have they overthrown the PSIs?

I'm also in search of new speakers for about 2000 to 2500 euros... Event Opal, Geithain RL906, PSI 17m, V2108... something like that.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
Wow, Yagya, i can't believe it's really you! I'm such a big fan of your music, especially of your album Rigning. People, if you haven't heard this one you don't know what you're missing, regardless what you usually listen to. Also, i always liked your mixes.

Btw, how do you like your new speakers? Have they overthrown the PSIs?

I'm also in search of new speakers for about 2000 to 2500 euros... Event Opal, Geithain RL906, PSI 17m, V2108... something like that.
hey, thanks for the compliment! once the new album is released later this winter, you can check if the move to PSI A21 was a good thing or not heh I used Dynaudio BM6 (and headphones) for Rigning.

I love the Quested V2108, they are fun to use. I use them more than PSI now of course (since they are new), but they have not overthrown the PSI.

V2108 are not as detailed and transparent as the PSI A21. when mixing, the top doesn't always translate well over to the PSI A21, but the top translates easily from A21 to V2108. Quested V2108 are slightly more fatiguing than A21 (to me), due to more power in the low mids and bass, and I can't say it's more fun to listen to music in V2108 than A21. both are super nice..

but!

PSI A21 made me a nervous wreck then trying to finish a mix because they never tell you how it should sound and mixes are never really "done" when working on PSI A21. not very inspiring. V2108 give me more confidence concerning balance and leveling the low mids and bass, and I guess they encourage you to work on the whole instead of details. and most of it translates over to the PSI. the low mids and the bass is more solid, have more weight somehow, compared to the PSI.

often my half-baked tracks sound completely different in V2108 and A21, and that's where working on two different speakers is a good thing, I guess when my mix sounds good on both sets, I'm heading in the right direction.

---

when I picture the difference in my mind, as if the mix was a building, I see a transparent picture in the PSI, like I can see right through the walls of the building and I can see the outlines of every wall and texture clearly, like a 3D blueprint. but V2108 show me the colors of the walls and a feeling I could touch the building. but they don't let me see inside the building as much. not sure if this helps :D

I'm not sure what kind of work you are doing, dotl, but sometimes when I'm asked about speakers I advice my friends to get less detailed, quality speakers and just concentrate on the music. chasing mundane detail doesn't really help when trying to create good music. depends on the listener of course, but I would've been very happy with Quested V2108 instead of PSI A21, a year ago. but having access to the detail is excellent of course

a word about converters: I have my Quested V2108 connected to Lavry da11 and the PSI A21 are connected to Steinberg MR816x. that's not a good idea, and it really shows me how much good converters matter. connected to the MR816 the A21 lose their precise imaging, everything sounds shaky somehow and there is a lot of noise coming from the MR816x. I need to get a passive monitor controller soon.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Guru

Hey, get this:

Products

I LOVE mine. Super smooth and dirt cheap to boot ....and sold by a lovely, very helpful feller.

Sounds like you have the bases covered with the Questeds and PSI. I totally agree with your descriptions. I am now working on ProAc Studio 100's and absolutely loving it. No issues with 'on the fence' speakers. They say where and firmly. And sound like pure fun. Perfect balance of detail and inspiration. And they love my little room.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Hey, get this:

Products

I LOVE mine. Super smooth and dirt cheap to boot ....and sold by a lovely, very helpful feller.

Sounds like you have the bases covered with the Questeds and PSI. I totally agree with your descriptions. I am now working on ProAc Studio 100's and absolutely loving it. No issues with 'on the fence' speakers. They say where and firmly. And sound like pure fun. Perfect balance of detail and inspiration. And they love my little room.
ah nice, thanks! will check this out. McONE seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. was thinking about Coleman monitor controllers, but all their units seem to have some extra feature (or too many inputs or something) that I'm not really interested in right now.

the ProAc Studio 100 seem nice! are you not using the RL906 or A21 any more?

(I must say, getting the V2108 did not quench my thirst for trying out all those wonderful speakers out there... heh)
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yaga
Eric's rule of always buy more inputs then you need today saves big money tomarrow also applies to outputs of monitor controllers!
The only thing I can see wrong with the NOSA is I know many who hate having cords running across their desk top!

Welcome to the quested Family!
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

(I must say, getting the V2108 did not quench my thirst for trying out all those wonderful speakers out there... heh)
Nope, sold the A21's, as they were too big for my room and I got bored struggling and the 906's were only with me for a week's demo. Check out some ProAc's. They have the Quested beauty/velvet texture, but without the top half feeling veiled, they have a top sizzle which totally works for me. Makes me tweak it to sound right first time.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey, thanks for the compliment! once the new album is released later this winter, you can check if the move to PSI A21 was a good thing or not heh I used Dynaudio BM6 (and headphones) for Rigning.

I love the Quested V2108, they are fun to use. I use them more than PSI now of course (since they are new), but they have not overthrown the PSI.

V2108 are not as detailed and transparent as the PSI A21. when mixing, the top doesn't always translate well over to the PSI A21, but the top translates easily from A21 to V2108. Quested V2108 are slightly more fatiguing than A21 (to me), due to more power in the low mids and bass, and I can't say it's more fun to listen to music in V2108 than A21. both are super nice..

but!

PSI A21 made me a nervous wreck then trying to finish a mix because they never tell you how it should sound and mixes are never really "done" when working on PSI A21. not very inspiring. V2108 give me more confidence concerning balance and leveling the low mids and bass, and I guess they encourage you to work on the whole instead of details. and most of it translates over to the PSI. the low mids and the bass is more solid, have more weight somehow, compared to the PSI.

often my half-baked tracks sound completely different in V2108 and A21, and that's where working on two different speakers is a good thing, I guess when my mix sounds good on both sets, I'm heading in the right direction.

---

when I picture the difference in my mind, as if the mix was a building, I see a transparent picture in the PSI, like I can see right through the walls of the building and I can see the outlines of every wall and texture clearly, like a 3D blueprint. but V2108 show me the colors of the walls and a feeling I could touch the building. but they don't let me see inside the building as much. not sure if this helps :D

I'm not sure what kind of work you are doing, dotl, but sometimes when I'm asked about speakers I advice my friends to get less detailed, quality speakers and just concentrate on the music. chasing mundane detail doesn't really help when trying to create good music. depends on the listener of course, but I would've been very happy with Quested V2108 instead of PSI A21, a year ago. but having access to the detail is excellent of course

a word about converters: I have my Quested V2108 connected to Lavry da11 and the PSI A21 are connected to Steinberg MR816x. that's not a good idea, and it really shows me how much good converters matter. connected to the MR816 the A21 lose their precise imaging, everything sounds shaky somehow and there is a lot of noise coming from the MR816x. I need to get a passive monitor controller soon.

From what you're saying, i guess neither is from me...although i'll try to hear them first but I think i'm gonna probably pick a pair between Geithain RL906 and Even Opals (if you have any experience with those two plz share with me), maaaaybe PSI 17m (cause i have no money for 21s).

I produce everything from music concrete over idm to quasi symphonic stuff...and currently have Yamaha HS50m (use them rarely) and PMC TB2 passive speakers...+ AudioTechnica ATH-50M headphones + RME Babyface.

p.s. Thnx about the info on Rigning! Looking forward to your new stuff!
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Welcome to the club

I too use Quested V3110 more often than my PSI A17. But PSI give me their own special information a bit different than Quested, that is great to have too: a tiny bit more precise high end details, a bit more straight punch, they show how the music would sound on smaller speakers etc. But then - returning to that all surrounding and very natural "wall of sound" of V3110 - I am back home

But I need PSI too to be here ...
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
ah nice, thanks! will check this out. McONE seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. was thinking about Coleman monitor controllers, but all their units seem to have some extra feature (or too many inputs or something) that I'm not really interested in right now.

I just realised I have a Quested subwoofer going cheap (relatively) if you are interested... It's been in storage for quite a while as I moved shortly after buying it and my new studio was too small for it. I totally forgot that I had it.
I love Quested and have always found the mids to be some of the most transparent of any speaker I have owned... It's easy to sort out an arrangement thats got a lot going on in the mids. I'm also using PSI's which are nice and I agree with your description with regards to the house

Just drop me a mail if you are interested.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search