The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UBK fatso vs new fatso el7x?
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Head

UBK fatso vs new fatso el7x?

Thanks in advance.
Which will be your choice? I know that new '1176' mode was equipped in Fatso el7x.. but it seems that UBK have more compression mode..
please share your thought thanks
Old 4th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbragg View Post
Hang on - I thought this thread is supposed to be about the new fatso el7x and not the older fatso jr. compared to the ubk unit.
Old 5th December 2013
Yes, you're right. My mistake.
Old 18th December 2013
Old 26th December 2013
Have you watched the ubk videos on their FATSO? It's Greg's ideas that got me interested in the unit in the first place. However, being an owner and lover of the UAD card, I bought the E.L. Plug-in. But I do have the hardware on my wishlist. But haven't decided between the two "brands" yet, though they are in friendly competition.

I wish there was an equivalent video for the Emipirical Labs version, using the original compressors in some examples, as Greg did with his modified device. For sure, such videos really whet one's appetite for the device! I would love to see many more videos as well thought out as Greg's. You can tell he spent some prep time. He is also gifted in putting into words, those things which are difficult to describe.
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

I've noticed UBK has dropped the Fatso off their website
Old 4th January 2014
So I see.... Interesting.....
Old 4th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I see.... Interesting.....
It is now being licensed through Wave Distribution as the Wave Fatso
Old 4th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Have you watched the ubk videos on their FATSO? It's Greg's ideas that got me interested in the unit in the first place. However, being an owner and lover of the UAD card, I bought the E.L. Plug-in. But I do have the hardware on my wishlist.

If you want to get a sense of the general 'flavor' of compression on the UBK Fatso, just grab a demo of the UBK-1 plugin. It has 5 of the 7 UBK Fatso compression presets modeled up.

The UBK-1 goes farther and does lovely, crazy overcompression that the hardware doesn't. On the flipside, the metal box has that undeniable weight and muscle that keeps me coming back to analog, the transients hit so hard and the bottom end is seriously hefty.

UBK-1 Movement Generating Character Compressor

Enjoy!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 30th January 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
If you want to get a sense of the general 'flavor' of compression on the UBK Fatso, just grab a demo of the UBK-1 plugin. It has 5 of the 7 UBK Fatso compression presets modeled up.

The UBK-1 goes farther and does lovely, crazy overcompression that the hardware doesn't. On the flipside, the metal box has that undeniable weight and muscle that keeps me coming back to analog, the transients hit so hard and the bottom end is seriously hefty.

UBK-1 Movement Generating Character Compressor

Enjoy!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hey what's up Gregory! I own the UBK/Fatso and at first I was like it's cool until I tried the SideChain trick and OMG it's like a whole different compressor . Why was this not done on the unit itself?
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Head

Without wanting to sound like a total bed wetter, I'm very disappointed that UBK have pulled the ladder away from non-USA based customers for the upgrade. Can anyone shine a light as to why this? Also does anyone have one for sale in about 2 months?
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATSO View Post
Without wanting to sound like a total bed wetter, I'm very disappointed that UBK have pulled the ladder away from non-USA based customers for the upgrade.

Unfortunately, I had no control over how that played out. Doing mods is a lot of work for not a lot of money, and over time the balance shifted for the folks who were doing the EU mod for us until it got to the point where it wasn't worth the investment of effort for them.

I understood, and I probably would have made the same choice if I were in their position, but I agree with you that it was a bummer.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th June 2014
Gear Nut

Is the el7x a UBK fatso?
Old 23rd July 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by track View Post
Is the el7x a UBK fatso?
No. This thread is about a comparison between the two.
Old 23rd July 2014
Here for the gear

I would love to see many more videos as well thought out as Greg's.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Old thread. Anyone care to post the differences between the two?
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Bump

Anyone compare the two?
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Head
bump
📝 Reply