The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintech Preamps 500 Series Preamps
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
Vintech Preamps

Hi

In building up my 500 rig - I've got the Vintage API sound covered with CAPI pres, but I'm looking at getting a pair of neve style pres as well for vocals / overheads etc. Rather than buying actual Neve modules I was interested in seeing if there was a cheaper alternative that sounded just as good (if not better). I saw some shoot outs where neve 1070 clones were tried against an actual vintage 1070 and the Vintech pres seemed to do extremely well for the price.

I also stumbled upon an article which listed all the gear used by Butch Vig on Greenday's 21st century breakdown - and was interested to see that the Vintech pres were used on Snare top, snare bottom and bass guitar. Neve 1073s were also used in the chain for other tracks. So....

Are the Vintech Pres on par (quality wise) with Neve pres? Are they just slightly a different flavor (explaining why they were chosen for some things, and Neves chosen for others)?

Does the Vintech 573 (500 series) perform as well as the 19" rack version?

Is The Vintech 573 the best choice for a cheaper 1070 clone in a 500 series module? Or is there others I should be considering?
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Have you looked into the AML ez-1073?
Old 1st November 2013
It's like guitars......a Strat made from 5 different companies will still sound like a strat. Will they all be slightly different? Yes. Will it still sound like a strat? Yup.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

The 573 is a great piece. I have one, as well as a BAE 1073 (19") and the sounds are generally interchangeable. The 573 is nice because it's only 1 slot wide, and it's probably one of the least expensive ways of getting that type of sound (GAP Pre-573 is probably the cheapest, but they're not the most solid pieces of kit around. The 573 is built way better).

The 500-series modules generally perform the same as their 19" counterparts, albeit with slightly less headroom. As long as the manufacturer has complied with the API building standard and is drawing the proper power, you should be good.

Also look at the Heritage 1073jr
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Maniac

I have 4 CAPI vp26, as well as a vintech 473. The CAPI pres are my go to for drums, and the vintech are my go to for guitars and some vocals.

That said, if I'm using a ton of mics, I'll do two snare top mics, one with CAPI and one vintech, and the same setup on kick. Gotta have the CAPI pres on toms though.

I don't mind the vintech pres on overheads either, but my sytek gets a lot of work there.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Have two Vin 573 and Gap 573. I think the Gap for $279 is pretty darn close to the Vin. The Air EQ boost on the Gap 573 is nice gives it a more modern sound to my ears. Compared to the Gap Pre73 the Gap 573 has more headroom.

The Vintech's are so sexy though!!! I do go for sexiness some time!s It inspires me.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

In my experience.. Vintech stuff sounds GREAT.. and they have AMAZING customer service. You really can't go wrong with them.
Old 1st November 2013
Overall, Vintech stuff is really well built and sounds great. I am very happy with my X73 and use it all the time.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

I doubt that the Vintech's are on par with vintage 1073's. If they were why would so many major artists, engineers and producers still be using 1073's?

On the other hand, if you can't afford $5,0000+ for one preamp/EQ and want a good sounding preamp with a versatile EQ, the Vintech X73i is a good choice. I have two and am about to buy a 473. The not too often mentioned benefit is the EQ, which you can track with and/or use on mixdown. It is not a surgical EQ, but it is far better than plugin EQ's for boosting and cutting.
Old 1st November 2013
Vintech is cool. I have a 573 and love it for heavy guitars and vocals. I have that and capi pres as well as some daking 500s and the Vintech is a go too for guitars as well as the capi pres.

I'm interested in the Heritage 73Jr, but I don't think you can go wrong with Vintech.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Heritage 73 series, regardless which way you go is "the Neve" sound. Closest mankind will get to a NEVE Mic Pre and EQ
Old 1st November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
In my experience.. Vintech stuff sounds GREAT.. and they have AMAZING customer service. You really can't go wrong with them.
+1. I highly recommend the Vintech 573. It's got a lot of color without being too soft (still a lot of punch). It's a great seller with no returns.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

They are great sounding pres, but do not REALLY sound like a vintage Neve.

Low end is MUCH more full on the real thing

High end EQ is MUCH sharper on the Vintec, the Neve is very broad and gentle. Could only use a couple db on the Vintec.

If I were to buy one, it would be for what it is, not what it wants to be. Good pre at a good price.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
It's rare to ask about a product on this forum and not get ANY negative feedback.

Sold
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
It's rare to ask about a product on this forum and not get ANY negative feedback.

Sold
I don't think so at all.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Does anyone out there use the INSTRUMENT input on the 473 to record bass guitar direct? Just curious. If so, do u have the upgraded (new) DIs that Vintech is putting on their newer 473?

Anyone use a separate DI like JDI or Little Labs direct box before going into the 473?

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

+1 on the 573 they are great. They are a great complimentary pre to the CAPI's
Old 29th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Goodin View Post
Vintech is cool. I have a 573 and love it for heavy guitars and vocals. I have that and capi pres as well as some daking 500s and the Vintech is a go too for guitars as well as the capi pres.

I'm interested in the Heritage 73Jr, but I don't think you can go wrong with Vintech.
I just recently bought a pair of Heritage 73jrs and the Vintech compares decently, but the HA Jrs saturate much better and it has the HPF. I just did a drum session with the Heritage on Kick and Snare and they jump out of the speakers.

I still like the Vintechs, but the Heritage 73jrs sound great and stack well. On electric guitars and vocals it rocks!
Old 13th November 2014
I'm interested in picking up either a Vintech 573 or Heritage 73jr to start my 500 series rack. Is there any reasons I should go with one over the other?
Old 13th November 2014
I use a pair of X73s more or less interchangeably with 8 vintage 33114s. When I'm picking what goes where it's more about the 48v being a little flakey on a few of the Neve's than any major sonic difference. I mean they're probably different, but all very musical.
Old 13th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla_studios View Post
I use a pair of X73s more or less interchangeably with 8 vintage 33114s. When I'm picking what goes where it's more about the 48v being a little flakey on a few of the Neve's than any major sonic difference. I mean they're probably different, but all very musical.
That's awesome to know! I just finished watching a Youtube video where these guys do a/b with a vintage 1073. I really could not tell the difference at all, at least not through my Beyer DT250 headphones @ 1080P.

The low cut filter on the Heritage is kinda what's making it an option for me. Is it better to low cut on hardware or with a plugin?
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
I'm interested in picking up either a Vintech 573 or Heritage 73jr to start my 500 series rack. Is there any reasons I should go with one over the other?
I'm Heritage less at the moment but general thought is that if you have the funds start with one or two of the Heritage's (noticed a rack mount unit on the classifieds and very, very generally speaking think I'd opt for Heritage rack mount over two space 500 series . . . but that's a personal thing) this is because regardless of expectations or even style of music they are great mic pres that will work well with most content, are well built & tend to retain value.

Degree to which Heritage (vs. Vintech) sounds like 'the' vintage Neeve matters less then that for the types of things on which one might imagine that vintage sound the Heritage functions well, well enough that I pretty much lost all Neeve envy when I had the rack mount unit

when I started rebuilding the kit after the 2010 sell off I opted first for CAPI & Vintech largely for slightly more affordability (something like 4 CAPIs, two Vintech 573s for cost of a dual Heritage) I've since acquired some genuine 512s but while there will be Heritage in the future have not felt the overwhelming need to rush it. Partially because I'm pretty sure I'd need to surplus the 573s to justify the Heritage and am fond enough of the Vintechs I'm in no rush to do that

Even so if you can afford it I'd still suggest the Heritage. I don't think you'd be sorry about the Vintech 573 but the Heritage even 73Jr is just incrementally more flexible . . .
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

I love my Vintech. I also use a Buzz Audio QSP20, but when it comes to vocals, I am always back on the Vintech. Awesome sound for vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search