The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help- Madi, Nucleus ,Alpha link DAW Software
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Help- Madi, Nucleus ,Alpha link

Im trying to help a friend setup his new studio. I repair computers but this is something new for me. I have pro tools and the Nucleus working via the ip midi but I cant get sound out of speakers. I contacted SSL when gear arrived about wiring if all up and here is what they sent me which I have done.

simply take two mics and connect them to the Input of the pres on the Nucleus using standard XLR leads.

Next take two XLR leads out of the Mic Pre outs and connect them to a S-sub to XLR female lead. (So the outputs of the pres are connecting to the two of the Female connectors on the D-SUB lead) Then connect the D-SUB end of the lead to Input 9-16 of your Alpha-Link SX. Then you can use a MADI cable to connect to the MadiXtreme card. Follow these steps and physically your vocal booth is ready to go.

VHD PRE setup:

The VHD setup is pretty much the same as the Nucleus one barring the Nucleus itself. Since VHD units are Pre Amps already all you need to do is connect each mic you have to the input channels of the VHD via XLR leads so 8 in total. (since you have two units). Then take a D-SUB to XLR Female lead and connect the XLR end to the outputs of the Pre. Then take the D-SUB end and connect it to Input 1-8 on the Alpha-Link which will again connect to the MadiXtreme via MADI.

I have this done except the preamps because I want to get sound working first. In pro tools I have the Playback engine set to Soundscape ASIO which I presume is right using the madi card? I have monitors/speakers plugged into output on the Nucleus also tried going direct into the Alpha head phones but still cant hear anything even though pro tolls is playing. I am just importing a mp3 to try and get it to play. When I import it into a track I notice on the I/O in pro tools it has Nucleus and not Madi is this right? In Pro Tools if I go to Setup and I/O all is in there is the Nucleus. Does the alpha has to be configured to work with the Madi card or should it work out of the box.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search