The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mis-credited mix
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

mis-credited mix

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, just wanted to get some advice from the more experienced members on the business side of things.

So, I've been working with a major label pop artist on and off for the last year or so, mainly just recording vocals. About a month ago, I got a call from the artist's manager saying that the A-lister they'd hired to mix the album was too busy to finish it, and that one song needed to be re-mixed at the last minute. I found out that Mr A-list had already mixed the song, but that the entire vocal arrangement had been changed - my job was to mix the pre-existing instrumental with the new vocal multitrack (around 30 tracks altogether). Not a perfect situation, since the inst had been mixed with a completely different vocal performance in mind, but I did the best I could to bed in the new vocals, with occasional eq tweaks and rides on the inst. This was all very last minute, and the mix was delivered the night before the mastering session.

Fast forward a month, the album is out, and the track I worked on is actually being released as a single. Great news all round, except that on the album sleeve, my name is nowhere to be seen, and the credits for the track actually says "mixed by Mr A-list"!

Now, I realize this isn't a clear-cut situation, and the last-minute nature of it all means that mistakes can easily happen, and that most major label projects I've worked on have been uncredited (most simply didn't include an engineering credit at all), but I was slightly perturbed when I saw this. I'd like to be able to put the track on my resume, and use it to get further work, since to my mind, regardless of the excellent work done by Mr A-list (and it was), I was the one who came up with the goods and actually delivered a useable mix to the label, [only just] in time for the mastering session.

Anyway, sorry if this is starting to read like it should be in the Moan Zone - what I'd really like to know is, did this kind of thing ever happen to any of the more experienced guys on here (obviously the above is quite specific, I guess I mean was your work ever wrongly attributed to someone else)? If so, were you moved to do anything about it, and do you think that the risk of damaging relationships by kicking up a fuss outweighed the potential benefits of being correctly credited? Would love to hear any viewpoints/experiences.

I should point out that I'm fully due-paid! Spent years assisting, during which time I did plenty of engineering and mixing which was usually credited to whoever I was 'assisting' at the time - I'm sure this is a common experience for anyone who came up through commercial studios (and indeed, looking back I can see that it was completely justified). I can't help feeling that this situation is somewhat different. Anyway, I'm rambling - would love to hear any views from other members here.

Thanks for reading,

ballandbiscuit

p.s. I'm really not trying to badmouth anyone here - I love Mr A-List's work, love the artist and their management & label guys. Just looking for some other perspectives on a weird situation which is no-one's fault!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

That sucks!

I try and work these details out before I do the job. If I do a contract with the client, it says that I will be credited for the mixing.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Welcome to the music business. This sort of thing happens all the time.
Forget about it and move on.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

you think that's bad? a few years ago a friend of mine pretty much single-handedly produced a track that ended up being one of the biggest mainstream hits of the year. later on, another producer, a great friend of the head of A and R at the label, came along and did a couple of teeny tiny production tweaks, and i mean teeny tiny to the production at the request of the label's exec. then after that, another great friend of the head of A and R added a background vocal part. My friend ended up being credited with the other 3, including the head of A and R and he was last on the list of credited producers. just like gravit says, this happens a lot, chalk it up and move on. As Benny from Abba once said "If I can write one hit song, I can probably write another". You'll get another shot and can be a bit more careful about the credits situation next time around
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've seen CV's or resumes that list such tracks like:

"BIG HIT SINGLE" by "Major Label Artist" Mix/remix vocals, uncredited.

How this is viewed in the biz, I have no idea. Just putting it out there. I guess it would depend on how far someone might look into it and making sure the others on the team would verify your story if it ever became an issue. Might be treading too close to a line that you don't want to, too.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

is album credit still a thing?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search