The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MRL Tape Level
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

MRL Tape Level

Hi I

I want to align my 24 track 2" for 15ips. i have an mrl tape at 250nw/m should i be setting the vu's to 0vu?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

If you want your machine to be running +3, then yes.
Thats the beauty of an MRL, you can use it to calibrate your machine to anything you choose. The MRL is a reference.
If you want to run your machine at +6, you'd cal to -3 on your VUs.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

thats great thanks

Just a couple more questions.

what would be the best running level for using rmg 900

I need to set the recording levels and bias too. when I feed a 1000hz tone from logic at 0db on the fader it seems to push my tape machines meters to peeck. am i doing something wrong?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

its not that you are doing something wrong, you just have more work to do.
This is called setup and calibration. It takes effort and time.
You need to calibrate to your machine to your MRL before setting record/bias levels.

Before doing any of that, you should probably make sure your tape path is solid, have you cleaned and demag'd and verified azimuth/wrap/zenith? How are the heads?

Before starting in on a tape machine, you should make no assumptions.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I align to +6 with atr at 15ips IEC. I think 900 is similar.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

I have demaged and cleaned the heads, the tape is running smoothly and I have run the mrl and set everything to 0vu. I am assuming if I want it to run at +6 I need to set it differently.

When it comes to the record alignment I was sending a 1000hz sine wave from to all the channels of the tape and recording whilst monitoring from the repro head.
When I put the machine to monitor the line in though the meters are flat out. If I bring the faders in logic down to about - 5.5 that equates to 0vu on the tape machine . What is causing this? The sine wave reads 0vu on my mixer. My machine doesn't apear to have any line in adjustments.

Sorry fur all the questions but I am mighty confused
Old 23rd October 2013
Old 23rd October 2013
Could be misunderstanding or having a doh moment. But nw/m on an MRL has nothing to do with ips. There is different mrls for different ips.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

ok,
at this point you need to get very specific. what kind of machine are we talking about here.

Having a running tape machine requires some thought and planning.

So, if you want to do +6, you have a 250nwb cal tape, you will need to adjust your repro and sync for -3.
Do 1k and 10k for both
PUT THE MRL AWAY
now send a +4 signal to your tape machine.
Now monitoring input, your VUs on your tape machine should read 0.
If they don't, you need to adjust.
Now hit record and on the playback head adjust record and hi-freq record to read 0

now, after doing that, you should be sending from daw>recording to tape>returning to daw a +4 1k signal.

If you don't have that, you'll need to provide VERY specific details.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. How do I know the actual level of the tone I'm sending. If I send a tone at 0vu from my daw it registers as 0vu in my desk but about +4 on the tape machine. Why is this? The machine I have is a Lyrec tr532 mk2. I'm sorry for all the questions just struggling to get my head round all this

Cheers Richard
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

What tape speed is your MRL tape? 30ips or 15ips? 1KHz at 30 is only half that at 15.

Steve G
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

It's 15 ips
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd suggest bringing in a competent tech to
Get it all shishape and learn from him until you can faithfully do basic alignment on your own.
Save yourself the agony. A
Deck that isnt mehanically and electonically aligned is not fun.
A lot to know.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

try checking your rec level, sounds like your repro is okay.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshawuk View Post
Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. How do I know the actual level of the tone I'm sending. If I send a tone at 0vu from my daw it registers as 0vu in my desk but about +4 on the tape machine. Why is this? The machine I have is a Lyrec tr532 mk2. I'm sorry for all the questions just struggling to get my head round all this

Cheers Richard
Well.... thats a good question.
0 VU = +4dBm = 1.22something V RMS

I'd verify you have 1.2 voltsRMS coming out of your system, if its off by a lot, its probably your output, not the input of the tape machine. I have zero experience with Lyrec, so you are on yer own, but I can't imagine it doesn't have a monitor input adjust.
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:

Cheers Richard
Try this guy: rued_storland.hotmail.com

he´s my tech man for my tr532, he build them back in the days at the lyrec factory and now he travels around and fixes them.

cheers!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks ciccia that's amazing
Old 28th October 2013
Just a quick point - the lack of correct use of "dB" is causing confusion. You can't send "0 dB" from logic - presumably you're sending 0dBFs ie full scale in the first instance, which is (depending on the lineup of your converters) something like +16 to +18 dBVU - hence the reason it's pegging the meters!
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi I

I want to align my 24 track 2" for 15ips. i have an mrl tape at 250nw/m should i be setting the vu's to 0vu?
For anyone interested I've spent the last year creating a comprhensive tape alignment class. I don't know what the proper protocol is for listing such a project. But here it is.
I'm sure you will let me know if there is a better way.
https://www.udemy.com/analog-audio-t...and-alignment/
thanks
Brad
Old 13th November 2013
Here for the gear

I think you got the copy of the TR532 Manual from
analogrules.com. Check the pages following page 74.
It's clearly described how to calibrate the LYREC TR532.

if you don't know the levels of your generator/DAW,
check the real voltages on line in/line out with a meter.
As said, 0dBFS in your DAW means something around
+10. . . .+20dBu at the output of the interface.

The LYREC does not have any Input level adjustment.
You set your Generator according to the VU-Meter.
The VU -Meter is calibrated to fit to your studio reference level.
Most likely they are still calibrated to a useful standard(+4dB).
Check first if all channels read the same with a line in signal.
Line In /Output Gain is 1 (fixed).

Good Luck, Tinn
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search