The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Michael Joly Engineering MJE-384
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Michael Joly Engineering MJE-384

Anyone have or use these mics? What is different from the 012? Does the MJE-K47H fit these?
Any info would be great
Old 23rd October 2013
Jb2
Gear Nut

Just got match pair and have not had chance to really play with them. As far as detailed specs just email Michael joly. I think he could give you better details then I. Especially comparison to other mods. The entire mic is his design.
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Nut

Bump, would love to hear if anyone knows more about the Joly MJE-384 (mic or NT5 capsule mod).

I have about that budget and am thinking of these vs a pair of used Beyer MC-930's
Old 30th December 2013
Here for the gear

I just received my NT5 mods in early December. I've never bought anything from Michael Joly before, so I was taking a bit of a leap of faith.
I must say, I love them! I really stopped using my NT5s because they were just a little too harsh up high. Now they are exceptionally smooth and warm sounding. Installing them was easy as can be, simply unscrew the old capsule and screw on the new ones. They look great and sound super impressive. They are very quiet but extremely sensitive.
One of my first tests with them was recording a set of sleigh bells. I first recorded them with the normal NT5 capsule and then with the MJE-384. The difference was immediately noticeable. At first the sleigh bells were nearly crackling in the higher frequencies, but once I changed capsules, everything smoothed out, even when close mic-ing. This post doesn't exactly focus on the MJEs but it might help you hear what the capsules can do. Merry Christmas: Free Jingle Bells for Ableton Live! | AfroDJMac
At the end of the day, I know my next mic purchase will be an MJE mod. I think you get so much value for your money that it's basically a no brainer. The set I have are excellent and have given new life to my NT5s!
I hope that helps some
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
Anyone have or use these mics? What is different from the 012? Does the MJE-K47H fit these?
Any info would be great

The current MJE-K47H capsule head is designed to fit the Oktava mk-012. It will NOT work with the MJE-384 as the threads and connector are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntp View Post
Bump, would love to hear if anyone knows more about the Joly MJE-384 (mic or NT5 capsule mod).
The MJE-384 is a complete SDC mic, while the MJE-384k "Roadster" is a capsule upgrade for the existing Rode NT5 small diaphragm mic. It includes the same capsule used on the MJE-384 with an adapter that fits onto the Rode NT5. This allows you to just unscrew the stock Rode capsule and screw on the 384k capsule/adapter assembly.

As for how they sound, you can check out the sound files at the site and hear them for yourself. He compares them to Schoeps and Neumanns, but perhaps most interesting is the comparison of the 384k to a Rode NT5 with a stock capsule. The sound files are here.

Anyone out there with a pair care to elaborate on how they sound?
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Addict

Hello AfroDJMac!
Welcome !
That is a nice 1st post ...
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

I have a studio with alot of michaels work in it.
And its based on results, nothing else.
If it wasnt good, it would be out.
the k47 head with an upgraded 012 sounds fantastic.
Use it alot.
Really love the K47 head as i also have it in a 219 joly prototype mic.
And again it sounds really good.
It is often gets picked for vocals against a heavy weight cast of mics.
So over all, i have yet to have something bad happen from michael.
This includes mods to 012's, 33mm lomo capsules, MKL101 capsule, MKL2500, 219 prototype and K47 head with 012 body.
Not a stinker in the lot.
As I said i also have a bunch of classic mics that we all know and love and these oktava modded or joly emgineered mics intergrate and cross perfectly naturally.
Old 30th December 2013
Here for the gear

I think the 384k capsules are amazing sounding and truly transformative for the NT5s.

Since the capsules screw on and off, even if you love "one thing" the
Stock NT5 capsules do, you will still have that option.

So far I've used the 384k/NT5 on acoustic guitars.
At close proximity, they sounded stellar and incredibly close to a CMC6/MK4.
Really, it's kind of freaky how close they are to the MK4s in this application.
Beyond that, I'll know more about "their likeness" when I compare them on distance sources.

In general, I tend to favor darker mics, i.e. Ribbons, C12Vrs, MKH-80s.
The 384ks are dead quiet, warm, smooth and detailed, I'm glad to add these as choices.
I have never owned NT5s. In the past I've mixed some tunes that used
them (with stock capsules) as overheads, they can be harsh and are too forward for my taste.

If you don't own NT5s, this is a great value for a pair of really useable mics.
If you own NT5s... I think it makes sense to have these to enhance their performance.

I found the 384k capsules by accident ...
I was on the MJE site buying his 910s, I wanted an inexpensive "U87-ish" pair.
In the end, the 910s are exceptional microphones, they take great value to the next level.
After using the 910s (which reminded me of MJ's great work) I picked up the 384ks and a pair of NT5s.
Since then, I bought a second pair of NT5s and 384ks.

I think MJ has hit a stride and is doing great (his best) work now.
Old 30th December 2013
Here for the gear

I bought a pair of used NT5s after hearing the demo tracks for this capsule upgrade. I haven't had a chance to record any music yet, but a simple experiment with finger snaps was pretty illuminating. I set a stock NT5 and one with Michael Joly's capsule up as close together as possible and recorded them both on different tracks simultaneously, then played them back, muting one, then the other, then removing headphones. This instantly confirmed for me several points Michael made about his design brief: the up-front placement of the diaphragm, the single layer metal screen both in front and around the edge near the front. The stock recording sounds like it was recorded in an oil can. There is a reverberence that buries the actual finger snaps! The upgraded capsule has none of that resonance and resolves even the friction of fingerprint on fingerprint in addition to the actual snap. Listening live and the Joly-upgraded capsule VERY strongly resemble each other.

I can't wait to record some actual music. I'll report back, (hopefully with samples) when I do.

For anyone who cares, the recording chain was the Rode NT5 stock, Rode NT5 with Joly replacement capsule, Pendulum Audio MDP-1 mic pre, RME Fireface UCS interface, iPad Three.
Old 30th December 2013
Here for the gear

I own a couple of Michael's mods already, so when he put it out there about the new NT5 caps I must have been one of the first to order a pair.
I had actually asked him about modding the NT5's a few years ago and sent mine to him. At the time he said that the NT5's were very well made so the components were great but he didn't really have a mod and would notify me when he did.
Everyone pretty much has the same complaint about the NT5s.....harsh high end, which I actually like for a couple of applications. So I ordered a set of the new 384 k caps and recorded a Gibson CL-40 acoustic with them. This guitar is my standard and I have recorded it with the NT5's, Modded Oktava 012's,Mojave Audio MA-100s and of course the Neumann 84s and 184's.
I now have a new favorite pair. Michael's new capsules are stunning and detailed. The high end is now clear instead of harsh. I have never owned the Schoepp's or used them. Let's just say that my search is over. The cool thing is that for the couple of applications that I like the NT5's on, I can just put the old caps back on.
I love these mics now.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

How odd that most of the responses are from 1st time posters.
Old 30th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
I am on his newsletter and he actually asked all of his customers to come to this thread and "post some thoughts"...
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was once a first time poster. Let's see, when was that......... Oh yeah, it was the first time I posted.

And yes, Michael did solicit comments in an email.
Old 31st December 2013
Free the Mike Joly... ummm... one!
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

To all the new members of GS - welcome aboard.
Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

Yep. I am a long time gearslutz reader and have never posted. Michael did solicit emails, but his mic inspired me to write. If it were most other mics, I would have said "yeah, right...." but I am so enamored of these NT5s that I really felt like saying something. I can assume that others were also as inspired as I was. I was once inspired to write a review of my Mnaley mic preamp if that gives you an idea of what else i might go nuts over....
Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the welcome Max,

Yeah, ditto, what ricky p said... these capsules are impressive.
If they were marginally better, there's no way I could have gushed.

I've occasionally looked at GS post from Google searches, but have not posted since I signed up 3 years ago.
I think you guys might of dodged a bullet... it's hard to shut me up when I like something ;-)

As John Hardy once told me after my thanks to him for updating my M1.
"Well... make something good with it."

e-nuff about gear... I wish you all lots of good music making in the New Year!
Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

Hi folks,
Been a member a while but never posted till now. If you'd like to hear the difference the mod makes, here's a quick acoustic guitar example. I used three mics: A stock NT5, the MJE-modded NT5 and a Gefell M300 as another reference point. They were clustered together about 18 inches off the 12th fret of a Taylor 816ce. All mics went through a 4-channel Sebatron Tube pre then into an Orion32 and finally into my RME HDSPe MADI fx card.

http://www.fade.net/MJE-NT5-1.wav
http://www.fade.net/MJE-MJE-384K-2.wav
http://www.fade.net/MJE-Gefell-3.wav

Dean
Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

Dean, Thanks for taking the time to create the A/B/C examples.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean.winter View Post
Hi folks,
Been a member a while but never posted till now. If you'd like to hear the difference the mod makes, here's a quick acoustic guitar example. I used three mics: A stock NT5, the MJE-modded NT5 and a Gefell M300 as another reference point. They were clustered together about 18 inches off the 12th fret of a Taylor 816ce. All mics went through a 4-channel Sebatron Tube pre then into an Orion32 and finally into my RME HDSPe MADI fx card.

Dean
So just so I'm crystal clear on this -

The first sample is the STOCK rode NT5.
The Second sample is MJE 384k (on an NT5 body)
The Third sample is the Gefell

Correct?

I guess there was a little ambiguity as the first sample is labeled MJE-NT5 (as if it were modded by him - but that is not the case). That one is the Stock NT5 if I read your post correctly?
Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmax_99 View Post
So just so I'm crystal clear on this -

The first sample is the STOCK rode NT5.
The Second sample is MJE 384k (on an NT5 body)
The Third sample is the Gefell

Correct?

I guess there was a little ambiguity as the first sample is labeled MJE-NT5 (as if it were modded by him - but that is not the case). That one is the Stock NT5 if I read your post correctly?
Yep, you got it. Apologies for any ambiguity.

Dean
Old 31st December 2013
Quote:
Hi folks,

Dean
Thanks! Clearly Gefell is in another league, I didn't care for either Rode. That was really helpful, no kidding.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Addict

How does the Joly-modded NT5 compare with a Joly-modded Oktava MK012 that uses the stock capsule? I'm interested in getting one or the other for acoustic guitar micing mostly.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradbobb View Post
Thanks for the welcome Max,

Yeah, ditto, what ricky p said... these capsules are impressive.
If they were marginally better, there's no way I could have gushed.

I've occasionally looked at GS post from Google searches, but have not posted since I signed up 3 years ago.
I think you guys might of dodged a bullet... it's hard to shut me up when I like something ;-)

As John Hardy once told me after my thanks to him for updating my M1.
"Well... make something good with it."

e-nuff about gear... I wish you all lots of good music making in the New Year!
You're welcome for the welcome! And happy new year right back atcha,

Quote:
Yep, you got it. Apologies for any ambiguity.

Dean
No worries. Just making sure I knew what I was listening to.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Addict

Me wants the precious Gefell M300 now. Only 2dB up at 2KHz and 2dB down under 100Hz. Ironically the specs on the NT5 are slightly better. Must be the electronics that make it sound better?
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Whatever.....when you've got someone like Rob Schnapf logging in and praising MJ and his mics, that carries some SERIOUS weight as far as I'm concerned. We all know who MJ's detractors are don't we? The reason they hate him is pretty much the same reason the rest of us love him. I say, choose sides and get back to making music..... Or maybe you already have?
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
How does the Joly-modded NT5 compare with a Joly-modded Oktava MK012 that uses the stock capsule? I'm interested in getting one or the other for acoustic guitar micing mostly.
Actually, it isn't a modded NT-5. Rather, it is essentially a different capsule for the Stock NT-5 body.

As for how it compares with the modded MK012 - that's a great question. MJ has a lot of sound files up comparing both mics to some of the classics. As for how they sound compared to each other, you could always email him and ask what his take on it is.
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Head

Would love to hear anybody who has had the chance to compare with the Oktava 012 (MJ modded or not), the Beyer 930s and/or the Josephson 42s. Not sure what else would be in the snack bracket above the Rodes, but of the ones I haven't mentioned, yeah them too!

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Thanks! Clearly Gefell is in another league, I didn't care for either Rode. That was really helpful, no kidding.
^^^
Clearly, no comparison. Not by a long shot.
Old 3rd January 2014
I am itching to try these out but as of the moment I only have the stereo NT4 which... I think is the same as the NT5? Not sure if I could do the same capsule swap with that body.

Regardless, I have a small handful of MJ mics/mods and they do not disappoint at all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search