The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Michael Joly Engineering MJE-384
Old 3rd January 2014
  #31
Here for the gear
 
cradbobb's Avatar
 

I don't have c42s, but I do have e22s and MKH-80s, if possible, I will try to do A/B/Cs in the next few weeks.

Excluding the stock (bright/hashy) capsule, I don't get the "different league" thing. To me, they are both "of good quality" ... and they are different.
Maybe it's just the hi-fi aspect of the Gefell that puts it in that better place for you all?

I did like the midrange and the organic "dusty" quality of the MJE capsule.
The Gefell is nice and the top-end sounds "eq'ed" and very finished to me.
Not a bad thing, but, it didn't feel as natural and about the instrument as the NT5/MJE.

The Gefell did have nice space in the lower mids, it kinda' sounded like there was less proximity?
I'm curious if the mics were in a vertical line or horizontal... and possibly the 384k caps were a bit closer to the body than the neck?
~ And it's probably not about the positioning and just how the MJE capsules sound. In general, they do have a little thickness in the lower mids.

*** Clearly a decent engineer could make either work... we've all heard worse guitar sounds.

This reminds me of the MK4/Gefell shootout, where all but one picked the Gefell and some guys even sold their MK4s because of it.
Maybe this mid-forward style of mic does not typically "win" in shootouts, but I think they are useful.

for every mic... there is a use.
Old 3rd January 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
guitarmax_99's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradbobb View Post
I don't have c42s, but I do have e22s and MKH-80s, if possible, I will try to do A/B/Cs in the next few weeks.

Excluding the stock (bright/hashy) capsule, I don't get the "different league" thing. To me, they are both "of good quality" ... and they are different.
Maybe it's just the hi-fi aspect of the Gefell that puts it in that better place for you all?

I did like the midrange and the organic "dusty" quality of the MJE capsule.
The Gefell is nice and the top-end sounds "eq'ed" and very finished to me.
Not a bad thing, but, it didn't feel as natural and about the instrument as the NT5/MJE.

The Gefell did have nice space in the lower mids, it kinda' sounded like there was less proximity?
I'm curious if the mics were in a vertical line or horizontal... and possibly the 384k caps were a bit closer to the body than the neck?
~ And it's probably not about the positioning and just how the MJE capsules sound. In general, they do have a little thickness in the lower mids.

*** Clearly a decent engineer could make either work... we've all heard worse guitar sounds.

This reminds me of the MK4/Gefell shootout, where all but one picked the Gefell and some guys even sold their MK4s because of it.
Maybe this mid-forward style of mic does not typically "win" in shootouts, but I think they are useful.

for every mic... there is a use.

I know what you mean about the Gefell's top end sounding "EQ-ed". I was curious about this and a checked out the frequency plot for the mic (the one at recording hacks). The chart for the Gefell shows a gentle slope starting around 2kHz - it slowly climbs to about +3.5 db at 16 kHz and then it just drops like the first plummet on a roller coaster, hitting zero db at 20 kHz. It's like they intentionally built a roll off into the circuit. Just curious if this is what you were responding to?

BTW, I think that both sound great, and I do agree that a decent engineer could certainly make either work. Personally, I'm an idealist - It would be cool to own both... but I digress.

I'll have to check out the MK4/Geffel shootout your are talking about. I had a chance to do some shootouts with the MK4 and Neumann KM-84 recently on a few sources. The 84 was definitely darker - while the Shcoeps had more top end sparkle.
Old 3rd January 2014
  #33
Gear Addict
 

MJ does some impressive work. I bought a set of his Ultimod MXL 603's. Great mics.
Old 3rd January 2014
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Janesaid2me's Avatar
So here is another tricky question....i have NT5s that have already been modded (internally) from John Bonnell....which i thought noticably improved some of the issues with these mics....and was fairly cheap (especially compared the MJ mods) I wonder if they postmod would benefit even more from these capsules?! I dont have the money at the times to shell out otherwise id probably grab a pair and give it a go.....but just was interesting to think MOD on MOD what result youd achieve....can you have a super mic....LOL...or are we just polishing turds?! hehehehe
Old 3rd January 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
guitarmax_99's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manysounds View Post
I am itching to try these out but as of the moment I only have the stereo NT4 which... I think is the same as the NT5? Not sure if I could do the same capsule swap with that body.

Regardless, I have a small handful of MJ mics/mods and they do not disappoint at all.
Apparently the capsules don't work for the NT-4 - they have a larger diameter than the stock capsules and both can't go onto the NT-4 simultaneously.

They should work for the NT-55 though.
Old 3rd January 2014
  #36
Here for the gear
 
cradbobb's Avatar
 

guitarmax_99,

Not so much the steep roll-off, as much as the rise at that I perceived from 8-15k.
That kinda makes sense, even though the top is enhanced... it is tight.
It makes the mic pleasing sounding and not that different from the top
end on the 296 Omni. The top-end end reminds me of Champagne Bubbles, very fine and exacting.
The good news is, if people primarily use cardioids and dig the sound, compared to multi pattern SDCs, the mic is not that expensive,

Janesaid2me,

Bonnell does good work, I'd guess the mic would probably be pretty pretty nice with the other caps... you'd have a one of a kind;-)
Old 3rd January 2014
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Hi folks,
Glad you liked the A/B comparison I posted. In answer to cradbobb, the mics were in a triangle/pyramid and were as close to one another as I could get them without the bodies touching. There may be a bit of difference due to placement, but after using the MJE mic a bit I'd say the examples I posted are pretty representative of the sound of the mic.

In terms of the Gefell being in a different league, that's an interesting opinion, but I don't know that I agree. I'd use the MJE as quickly as the Gefell, just for different things. I find that I quite like them both. I most frequently use SDC's on Ac. Git these days and I find that I reach for the m300's on harder, rockier songs with male voices and for gentler songs and female singers I find that I like the MJE's. That's really over generalizing though...it's almost like both of the mics have a slot for vocals to live in and you just have to find out which mic goes with which vocalist.

In any case, I like 'em both and I hope the examples are helpful.

Dean
Old 8th January 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
I have the 012's which i had modded by michael.
Before the mod i never used them.
They were pretty good, just kinda grainy and found myself
Trying to eq it out.
So always ended up using something else.
Post mod it cleared it up.
And suddenly they got used.
Compared favorably to km84's in certain applications.
Really liked them with both the 33mm LDC on them and the joly k47 head.
Old 8th January 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I have the 012's which i had modded by michael.
Before the mod i never used them.
They were pretty good, just kinda grainy and found myself
Trying to eq it out.
So always ended up using something else.
Post mod it cleared it up.
And suddenly they got used.
Compared favorably to km84's in certain applications.
Really liked them with both the 33mm LDC on them and the joly k47 head.
I'm interested in those k47 heads too, I really like the modded MK012s. What are you using them for?
Old 8th January 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I am on his newsletter and he actually asked all of his customers to come to this thread and "post some thoughts"...
This is exactly where the line between Vendor & Member Become very blurry indeed, I was looking at this thread hoping for opinions (Unbiased) from users whom took the tumble and went in cold buying a Jolly Modded Microphone! Shame, Mod's don't seem to want to make the often - VERY WIDE - Distinction between Advatorial Thread Impression for Microphone Vendor with Support E-mails pouring in and Michael Jolly's personal Membership and Opinions on the GS forum!

I 100% feel that GS Vendors selling Product - should NOT have anything save a restricted GearSlutz Membership. If Steven Slate Feels it's fine to do NON ABX hardware Compression Testing Vs Software without telling ANYONE what Software was used - then the Point completely flies off the roof and into the Ether as naturally Biased! I feel the same about these MJ Mods to SDC Microphones when posts are written though info is scarce and as Mr Jolly no longer posts, it's all referenced back to his website. Indeed a shame!

Regards
TheLastByte

Apologies for going off Topic!
Old 8th January 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
This is exactly where the line between Vendor & Member Become very blurry indeed, I was looking at this thread hoping for opinions (Unbiased) from users whom took the tumble and went in cold buying a Jolly Modded Microphone! Shame, Mod's don't seem to want to make the often - VERY WIDE - Distinction between Advatorial Thread Impression for Microphone Vendor with Support E-mails pouring in and Michael Jolly's personal Membership and Opinions on the GS forum!

I 100% feel that GS Vendors selling Product - should NOT have anything save a restricted GearSlutz Membership. If Steven Slate Feels it's fine to do NON ABX hardware Compression Testing Vs Software without telling ANYONE what Software was used - then the Point completely flies off the roof and into the Ether as naturally Biased! I feel the same about these MJ Mods to SDC Microphones.

Regards
TheLastByte

Apologies for going off Topic!
I think this is exactly why Michael left the board. Unfortunately that leaves a big hole in his advertising, as the potential market of Gearslutz is huge! Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Seeing as that this is a new product and he probably hasn't sold a gazillion of them, I can see why he would encourage people to share their unbiased opinions.

I have a pair of MK-012 that Michael modded about 3 years ago. I had them for maybe 6 years prior to that, hand picked them at GC (tried a bunch and looked for the least crappy sounding ones). They were still pretty crappy all things considered. Post mod I would use them in every situation over a pair of Beyer MC930, they are very good microphones. I can imagine these 384s probably sound great given my experience. Really want to try the K47 head.
Old 8th January 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Janesaid2me's Avatar
Honestly i have no issue with him advertising here and asking people to post comments about is work here....if the work is good then it will speak for itself....
Seems like the majority of the people in this forum and others are happy with his (and many other modders work)
Which is why those companies/modders eventually get good reputations and build their clientele....biased or not thats how any advertising/marketing/etc etc etc works....
Just saying....
Old 10th January 2014
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I think this is exactly why Michael left the board. Unfortunately that leaves a big hole in his advertising, as the potential market of Gearslutz is huge! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
That actually more so is exactly my point: "Damned if you Do, Damned If you Don't"! For OEMS whom hold GS accounts and post on Topics that are very close and near to their specific product and/or a derivate thereof. Please understand I certainly wasn't singling out Mr. Michael Joly (This just happened as it was the remark in my above post another made leaving a tenuous scenario about rallying your troops to the cause in Product advertising and Product placement).

Certainly GS has a decent amount of users as do other forums, though by no definition are the majority of Microphone users encapsulated to buy product simply on GS. Mr. Joly has the opportunity to advertise professionally as does any other OEM on the GS forum. I apologise if it came across as I was giving only Mr. Jolly the treatment. Again I feel that there should be further restrictions here then are already on various OEM Plus Other shoot outs and that comparative tests can be done on such places as GS or R/E/P etc. If all gear tests were properly ABX'd so to speak (And yes even software at minimal cost is available for this very purpose) then a great deal of aggravation, conjecture, alongside conspiracy theories, (Some just outlandish and indeed over the top) and general "Hoopla" regarding certain Products that GS users do indeed use, and or are in general use might vanish. Defensive positions from companies such as SSL to name one and others often rain supreme with absurd comments on others creations.

Again, probably the wrong place to post this, though I thought I'd gone 3/4 of the way & felt I might as well finish it off alongside clearing Mr. Joly of wrong doing in any manner. There are plenty of OEM contributors on GS such as Casey and Sean Costello alongside Jeff Tanner and Michael Carnes etc to name a few while leaving out many others whom bring with them a great deal of perspective in highly technical and general knowledge postings that has been hard fought for and won throughout years of excellence in their chosen fields thus imparting great clarity in information. In no way am I trying to infer that all OEMS whom post and exist on this forum are biased individuals - far from it, and it is indeed a great shame Mr. Joly no longer Posts. Mr. Joly seems to have created something that many fined refined and detailed, so certainly this is no rave against Mr. Joly.

Rather a post to finalise a comment above that did tickle my interest and it piqued when I understood the scenario. Again I must state I personally read this thread as of interest in Michael Joly's work with Capsule design and attitudes in making Bang for the buck Microphones. not as an exercise in slander or venting something that should be one day possibly addressed in another forum; again my apologies for going off topic.

Back to the Thread: Joly Microphones & the MJE-384

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 10th January 2014
  #44
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
It's ONE "L" bro....

And yeah, his mics actually do rock.

FYI :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/forum...s-suggestions/

While we're at it, how about we kick off everyone who is representing/selling something - ie: gear pimps.

Oh wait,,,,,some are moderators. Nevermind. I don't want to get censured.....again. heh


Maybe a new forum is in order for ya. I could make some suggestions....
Old 10th January 2014
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
... I could make some suggestions....
To drop a name right here and now, I was at a Hunter Thompson 'lecture' once (brought a tape recorder, in fact, but too blitzed to operate it conscientiously ) and when someone asked him a question that veered into dangerously topical territory, he replied, and I will never forget the crucially sincere tone he adopted,

"My advice for you, my friend, is to lie low."
Old 10th January 2014
  #46
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
To drop a name right here and now, I was at a Hunter Thompson 'lecture' once (brought a tape recorder, in fact, but too blitzed to operate it conscientiously )
Why am I not a bit surprised Joel????

But yeah, I will happily heed your advice. You've always got my back. Thanks bro....
Old 10th January 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's ONE "L" bro....

And yeah, his mics actually do rock.

FYI :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/forum...s-suggestions/

While we're at it, how about we kick off everyone who is representing/selling something - ie: gear pimps.

Oh wait,,,,,some are moderators. Nevermind. I don't want to get censured.....again. heh


Maybe a new forum is in order for ya. I could make some suggestions....
Ha, ha, ha! Seriously From you Bill it's a compliment! There you go
Bill....edited for the Price of Fletcheresque Peace? There's even a lame emoticon to prove it

I could make some suggestions yeap, so could I!
Enjoy as always YMMV!

TLB.
Old 10th January 2014
  #48
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Always happy to help.

Now,,,,,,where were we?

Oh yeah...

U47's are highly over-rated, and I use MJ to remove all transformers, electronics and capsules, and turn them into dynamic mics, and they are SAweeeeeeeeeeTT!!
Old 10th January 2014
  #49
Lives for gear
 

The Heresy Bill - You'll be over at HRI soon stalking the beat on Mic's and Mods...Oh yeah..Mods! Well, I'd love to hear a proper wav of the new head MJ gives to a Microphone!

TLB.
Old 11th January 2014
  #50
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
The Heresy Bill - You'll be over at HRI soon stalking the beat on Mic's and Mods...Oh yeah..Mods! Well, I'd love to hear a proper wav of the new head MJ gives to a Microphone!

TLB.

Hi TLB,
I posted some examples at the beginning of this thread. It should give you at least some idea of how this SDC mod sounds.

Dean
Old 17th January 2014
  #51
Lives for gear
 
guitarmax_99's Avatar
 

I don't know if anyone heard, but right now there is a contest to win a pair of MJE-384 mics going on until the end of January.

Here is a link
Old 18th January 2014
  #52
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Whatever.....when you've got someone like Rob Schnapf logging in and praising MJ and his mics, that carries some SERIOUS weight as far as I'm concerned. We all know who MJ's detractors are don't we? The reason they hate him is pretty much the same reason the rest of us love him. I say, choose sides and get back to making music..... Or maybe you already have?
It seems odd that you are here in this thread then.
Old 18th January 2014
  #53
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
It seems odd that you are here in this thread then.
Really? Any odder than the rest of those here including you? I suppose.... The world is an odd place isn't it?

My studio is torn down and in transit right now. Not much music being made for the next couple of weeks....
Old 19th January 2014
  #54
Lives for gear
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 

MJ

Was just catching up on an early Sunday here in GS land and ran across this thread.

Well I am not a first time poster so I guess that makes a difference to some.

A few months back I was looking for a mic that closely resembles an U87 so I took a chance on a MJ mic.

After receiving this mic I tested it against 3 actual U87's from various time periods. The actual U87's belongs to a friend who has been gracious enough to let me borrow them on occasion.

This was a very informal test by just listening. The MJ mic is so close to the actual U7's that it was impossible to tell which was which.

My next purchase came after exchanging emails with MJ for a U47 type mic. All I can say is that I know have 2 MJ mics and couldn't be happier.

I have been heavily using both mics as needed and couldn't be happier.

In the future as I need mics I will certainly be reviewing MJ's mics before purchasing.

A big thumbs up for my 2 MJ mics.
Old 19th January 2014
  #55
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

My studio is torn down and in transit right now. Not much music being made for the next couple of weeks....
Whats happening toyour place? Are you moving?
Old 19th January 2014
  #56
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Whats happening toyour place? Are you moving?
Hi Rob! Yes, I'm moving. End of an era for me, so there's some bitter/sweet. I'll PM you the details.
Old 20th January 2014
  #57
Here for the gear
 

Hi! First time poster here though I've been browsing the forum for quite some time. I haven't had anything to contribute with until now, hence the first post. I'm swedish so pardon my language (reference joke, heh?).

So I bought a pair of the new capsule. Mostly because I really dislike the original NT5 sound. I've more or less stopped using them. I thought I'd do a A/B test on piano. Unfortunately the piano was moved from my studio/rehearsal room before I had the chance to record. Instead I recorded my voice. I have the mic's on a stereo bar, as close as possible. I stand about 15 cm from the mic's. No editing has been made except using a limiter to increase level. Though not in any amount that affected the sound. I use a MOTU traveler interface. Did I forget anything.. Ask if so. The files are wav so I uploaded them to soundcloud, links below:

NT5 w/ original capsule


NT5 w/ MJE 384K-capsule

Last edited by everlastingrec; 20th January 2014 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Embed links didn't work
Old 20th January 2014
  #58
Lives for gear
 
guitarmax_99's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlastingrec View Post
Hi! First time poster here though I've been browsing the forum for quite some time. I haven't had anything to contribute with until now, hence the first post. I'm swedish so pardon my language (reference joke, heh?).

So I bought a pair of the new capsule. Mostly because I really dislike the original NT5 sound. I've more or less stopped using them. I thought I'd do a A/B test on piano. Unfortunately the piano was moved from my studio/rehearsal room before I had the chance to record. Instead I recorded my voice. I have the mic's on a stereo bar, as close as possible. I stand about 15 cm from the mic's. No editing has been made except using a limiter to increase level. Though not in any amount that affected the sound. I use a MOTU traveler interface. Did I forget anything.. Ask if so. The files are wav so I uploaded them to soundcloud, links below:

NT5 w/ original capsule


NT5 w/ MJE 384K-capsule

So when you say the mics are "as close as possible", how far away from each other would you say they are? Five centimeters? Closer? Further?
Old 20th January 2014
  #59
Here for the gear
 

Yup, I would say between 5-7 cm. I should have measured of course, I forgot. I stood right in front of the mic's with a "puff extinguisher" (how do you say it English? ) in between.
Old 20th January 2014
  #60
Here for the gear
 

Though I am starting to think my original NT5 capsule might be broken. None of any sound examples of the NT5 I've listened to sounds this bad.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump