The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Setting up Performance Rig
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Setting up Performance Rig

I'm a performer who often plays alone, and am looking for a way to enhance my live performance. I've just started using Ableton 9 (building loops, electronic background band stuff) and have had Pro Tools 10 for some time. I'm a little low on cash (broke ass college student) so this isn't ideal, but it should be functional and appropriate for the ****ty clubs I play. Here's the hypothetical rig I have in mind - if you guys could point out any glaring problems, that'd be great!

I'd pick up an Mbox 2 (super cheap on craigslist) and run my guitar DI into it, as well as a stage mic. I'd rewire in Ableton for loops and use Guitar Rig 5 (personal favorite of mine) and other plug ins to process my guitar and vocals in real time. I'd take a splitter out of the headphone jack and run the left/right mix into the PA.

This way, I'd have all my loops, background band, and vocals coming out through the PA. I'd take my guitar out through one of the line outs of the Mbox and run it into my amp. This way I could use Pro Tools to process my guitar, but it would play out of my amp, not the PA.

I currently use an Akai MIDI controller and I have a 13' macbook pro (2.7 GHz i7 core and 4 GB RAM).

Would my computer be able to handle this? On a separate note, aside from NI's nasty expensive Kontrol footpedal, what are other ways I could control Guitar Rig in real time?

Any and all input is much appreciated.

-space hound
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search