The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast
Old 23rd October 2013
Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast

Hey, y'all. Recently, I was very kindly rewarded a Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast microphone preamp for my efforts in the review section here on GS, so it seemed appropriate that I express my gratitude with a review of the unit I won.

Have a look:

Warm Audio TB12

Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Really solid, even-handed review. Thanks for the time!
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Cool, you should hear it with a John Hardy 990C installed as well. Extreme detail, awesome version of "clean" without cold and 3D depth / realism.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
Really solid, even-handed review. Thanks for the time!
Thank you! The time was well worth it; these guys are making a cool product and I feel honored to have been chosen as one of the winners of their contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Cool, you should hear it with a John Hardy 990C installed as well. Extreme detail, awesome version of "clean" without cold and 3D depth / realism.

War
Interesting...that's an easy installation, right? Maybe I'll track one down and give it a whirl.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Yes, you pop it in place and go. John sells them direct, we sell them separately as well as do the install / testing ourselves when people buy new units.

War
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Yes, you pop it in place and go. John sells them direct, we sell them separately as well as do the install / testing ourselves when people buy new units.

War
Groovy. What's the price on those suckers?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The John Hardy upgrade makes we want to pick up two ToneBeast's instead of 1. I will have a WA12 up for sale shortly.
Old 24th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Groovy. What's the price on those suckers?
$49.99.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

What is exactly is the John Hardy upgrade? I wasn't under the impression that anything needed modding on the Warm Audio gear. Maybe I missed something in the discussion I need to re-read.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
What is exactly is the John Hardy upgrade? I wasn't under the impression that anything needed modding on the Warm Audio gear. Maybe I missed something in the discussion I need to re-read.
You can easily swap out opamps in the Beast. The John Hardy is an opamp. Google John Hardy 990c.
Old 24th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

It is not necessary for these units to be great, but if you seek out extreme 3D clarity and openness...adding the 990C is a simple pop & swap way to experience it. We replace the "18" (modern) with this so you end up with a 990C in the clean position and the other "vintage" remains.

So inside of one box you could choose old school capacitors, op-amp and transformers...and next select no transformers with a 990C and modern capacitors for uber-clean without that clinical or "cold" delivery.

Think of it as rock n' roll to classical in variables.

It's a mic pre though, so also think subtle.

War
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
The John Hardy upgrade makes we want to pick up two ToneBeast's instead of 1. I will have a WA12 up for sale shortly.

Hit me up when your ready Dpro ...would love to pick up a WA 12.
Old 25th October 2013
Here's a link to a mix I just did through two TB12s stock.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9533272-post27.html

..ant
Old 25th October 2013
Company Rep

Hi, I just added this song to warmaudio.com. Every track (vox and instruments) were recorded through the TB12. The cleaner x18 opamp and steel trafo were used. The engineer used the high pass filter on everything (I prefer it off for the extra low-end) but the track still sounds great. Miktek CV-4 mic used for everything other than bass. Drum samples were recorded through the TB12 even, drums were recorded individually then pasted into the mix, also with the Miktek CV-4.

If you know GS-er Cowboycoalminer, he recorded this...

https://soundcloud.com/herb-music/elephant
Old 25th October 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
Here's a link to a mix I just did through two TB12s stock.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9533272-post27.html

..ant
Hey man, what are you using for conversion? Something doesn't sound quite right... This a pre-recorded mix, sent through the TB12?
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAudio View Post
Hey man, what are you using for conversion? Something doesn't sound quite right... This a pre-recorded mix, sent through the TB12?
Nope, it's an 8 channel mix sent from an Apogee Ensemble into a UnitAudio Micro Unit summing 2-out into two TB12s and back into an Apogee Duet for conversion. What doesn't sound right?

..ant
Old 25th October 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
Nope, it's an 8 channel mix sent from an Apogee Ensemble into a UnitAudio Micro Unit summing 2-out into two TB12s and back into an Apogee Duet for conversion. What doesn't sound right?

..ant
Ah ok. There might be some more work that can be done to the tracks before they are sent out and summed. IE, compression, eq etc... I'll let the other guys comment, they might have better suggestions that me.
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Ah ok. There might be some more work that can be done to the tracks before they are sent out and summed. IE, compression, eq etc... I'll let the other guys comment, they might have better suggestions that me.
The acoustic guitars on that mix were very phasey and tough to work with. Not sure if that was what you were referring to. I also realized I was going into the Duet preamps, not line level. Fixed that up. Would love to know what you heard.

Here's another mix I did with the same setup.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9536779-post129.html

..ant
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

That Secret Mountain stuff convinced me I should grab a TB12. Great mixes to my ear. I don't know if they're perfect or whatever but the overall feel is fantastic. Almost makes me want to ditch my GAP Pre 73s... almost.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefilthyrich View Post
That Secret Mountain stuff convinced me I should grab a TB12. Great mixes to my ear. I don't know if they're perfect or whatever but the overall feel is fantastic. Almost makes me want to ditch my GAP Pre 73s... almost.
But they would be a great compliment to your pre73s me thinks.
Old 28th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefilthyrich View Post
Thank you! I've been dying to get some feedback. The TB12s have been a pleasure to work with and they make the mixing process much more enjoyable. But after someone from Warm Audio said "Something doesn't sound quite right" about the first mix, I became concerned I hadn't set things up correctly.

Yes, the Secret Mountains tracks were recorded very well (by the great Weathervane team) and probably better represent what's possible than the first mix.

..ant
Old 28th October 2013
Quote:

War
I got one a few weeks ago and popped it right in. Amazing clean on the x18 channel.
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Hi WarmAudio i agree 100% some work is still missing it needs more compression and maybe a lil polishing the vocals sound far they not sitting on top of the mix to my opinion ant dont take it in a bad way the song is not bad at all just need a lil twiking that's all.
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Ant This Track Sounds Fantastic "Secret Mountains" Very Good Great Job On This One
Old 1st November 2013
lucianely787,

Thank you for the feedback on both mixes. Yes, the first track was not recorded as well and was a bit tough to deal with, but there are aspects I like.

The Secret Mountains track was very well recorded and I'm really pleased with how my mix turned out. To me, it's really the first time I've hit the balance I've been seeking of weight/presence/fullness in a mix but without being muddy. Good to hear someone else feels it's working.

..ant
Old 1st November 2013
Company Rep

Warm TB12 OTB Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianely787 View Post
Ant This Track Sounds Fantastic "Secret Mountains" Very Good Great Job On This One
+1 from me on this one! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9536779-post129.html Really digging the OTB mix. Curious what you used on everything, in and out?
Old 3rd November 2013
Quote:
+1 from me on this one! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9536779-post129.html Really digging the OTB mix. Curious what you used on everything, in and out?
Thanks for the feedback.

Using Logic. 8 channels out from Apogee Ensemble into UnitAudio Micro Unit. 2-out from UnitAudio into two Tonebeast TB12s. Out from TB12s into an Apogee Duet 2 (line in -10) for conversion back into the DAW. Final "master" using Slate VTM and FG-X. I have VTM on most of the tracks. I used to use VCC but removed that now with the OTB/TB12 setup.

TB12s setup (left to right, both channels): Input controls all out, x731, tone controls all out, steel, gain 1 click left of center, sat 2 clicks left of center.

..ant
Old 29th November 2013
Here's another track I mixed through the two TB12s from the summing box. Again, these are from the Weathervane Shaking Through project and were very well recorded so I barely used any EQ or effects and just a single reverb bus that I sent a little of each track, so this might give a good idea of how the TB12s fatten up the sound of very clean tracks. I'm really enjoying mixing through the TB12s.

https://soundcloud.com/antstudio/borrowed-heart

..ant
Old 20th March 2014
Quote:

War
What about 990C+ model?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search