The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Does a Voltage regulator create noise on cables or equipment
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Does a Voltage regulator create noise on cables or equipment

Okay Im going with a Furman ar-1215 or ar-15. But I have 3 questions.

1. Since my whole room is on the same circuit,instead of buying 3 different Voltage regulator to place throughout the room can I buy one and use extention cords to run to the current fake rack mounted Furman "Power conditioners" I already have? Essentially this would put everything coming out of one outlet. But I would never exceed 15amps at a time because everything would not all be on at the same time. If all the outlets are on the same circuit I dont see this making a difference.

2. I was told that its not advised to plug one surge protector into another. Im not sure if this has to do with if there are different technologies involved in the noise filtering or what. But is there any truth to this? If so and I want to plug my 4 different "power conditioners" ,which really just power strips with 2 of the 4 having EMI/noise filtering, into a regulator(with filtering), would it be best to choose a regulator that uses the same filtering technology as the fake "conditioners"? I ask because I read different filtering does different things to the signal

3. Finally, I know the Ar-1215 has a mechanical hum(if you know another model as good in the price range that doesnt Im all ears), but anyways does the regulator produce EMI of its own that would make you want to keep certain equipment or audio wiring away from it? I know about guiatr pickups. But what about my Korg MS-20 with unbalanced output? I planned on the regualtor being about 2 feet below it.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Bump for good questions unanswered!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search