The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
GSSL: different VCAs
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

GSSL: different VCAs

I've tried to search here, and in the web, for first-hand experiences on the different sounds one can achieve by swapping VCAs in the Gyraf SSL clone. No luck.

Can anyone chime in on perceived differences in sound/colour/response that different VCAs offer? Maybe someone has found that some VCAs work well, or not so good, for different styles/sources. I'm looking to compare:

dbx 202c (gold cans)
dbx 2150
THAT 2180
THAT 2181 (trimmable)

I think this is mostly it. Maybe I'm missing other options, or mislabeled some part nos.

Maybe my question should be: are the gold cans really worth the $$$?

Thank you!

Peace
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted User
Some of these are not direct swaps. You may have to remove or adjust a resistor or two in the circuit. I mention this because bad upgrade results sometimes correlate to an incomplete upgrade. FWIW, the THAT 2150 is old technology and has been replaced by the 2180 and 2181 as you probably are aware. The difference is speed and lower distortion.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Dont know THAT, but the 202x is the one found in most SSL's, I think 202c and x can be swapped without any resistors...

The 202x is I think considered the "better" vca
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search