The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic & preamp #2 advice, please..
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Mic & preamp #2 advice, please..

Hi,

Please give me your expert advice on which 2nd mic + preamp I should get for my studio. I'm looking for a class A mic+preamp that will fill the gap where my mic+preamp #1 can't deliver.

I mostly record vox (female & male) but also horns, percussion and guitars.
I produce mostly pop, r&b, soulful- & deephouse plus some poprock.

My studio equipment: Mac, Adam A7, classic hardware sytnhs, guitars, percussion..
Soundcard: UA Apollo Quad, + UAD Satellite Quad
Preamp/Compressor: UA 6176 and a DBX 576
Mics: Rode Classic II, NT3(x2), NT5(x2), Shure SM58(x2).
Plugins: UAD, McDSP...

What mic + preamp should I buy, please?
Thanks in advance, ya'll!
Old 22nd October 2013
Budget? What kinda vibe do you like?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi

You will, no doubt, get multiple responses re BAE, Vintech, Heritage, Vintage Sound, Golden Age and a host of others. .. all having validity and the question will bounce back to you as choices are just that... personal choices.

I know what I would recommend but I will let others chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Do you need one, two, four or eight channels of micpres? Budget?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the reply

Budget: 4000 USD for mic. + preamp if needed.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

You will, no doubt, get multiple responses re BAE, Vintech, Heritage, Vintage Sound, Golden Age and a host of others. .. all having validity and the question will bounce back to you as choices are just that... personal choices.

I know what I would recommend but I will let others chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4
Thanks.. It's always an personal opinion, of course. Taste is different.
I am looking for something that will fill for recording vox where Rode Classic II can't deliver. RodeK2 has an open, clear, good mid & hi sound.
Some guys doesn't seem to happy about that. They want it darker but solid...
If you have the experience of this knowledge, please let me know
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Do you need one, two, four or eight channels of micpres? Budget?
I don't know, but I'll start with 1 or 2 please.
Budget: 4000 for mic + preamp if necessary.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid65 View Post
Thanks.. It's always an personal opinion, of course. Taste is different.
I am looking for something that will fill for recording vox where Rode Classic I can't deliver. RodeK2 has an open, clear, good mid & hi sound.
Some guys doesn't seem to happy about that. They want it darker but solid...
If you have the experience of this knowledge, please let me know
I would check out a Ribbon mic, A/B a few if possible..
But since most are Figure 8, the Room plays a Bigger part in how it sounds..
A problem with some artist is they want their voice to sound better than it really is...
Not sure what "Darker but solid" means..
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Budget: Mic: 4000 USD + preamp if needed.

Vibe: Cool & colourful sounds but also natural..
I think Britney Spears later voc sounds cool but I'd like versatile sounds with warmth too if possible..
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
I would check out a Ribbon mic, A/B a few if possible..
But since most are Figure 8, the Room plays a Bigger part in how it sounds..
A problem with some artist is they want their voice to sound better than it really is...
Not sure what "Darker but solid" means..

Which ribbon mics would you test?
My room is good.
With darker but solid, I mean: not so bright as ex Rode K2. Where modified mics for example are sometimes not very solid in the lower frequencies - regarding to some of the tests here on GS.

It's a mystery...
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
dark, solid and natural would be the way I would describe the neve range of mics. they do a ribbon and an sdc. please bear in mind I haven't heard the ribbon but I think that could be exactly what you are looking for. what I have heard and used is the sdc. it is a stunning sounding mic which is warm, solid and natural.

although natural could be used to describe transparent mics which these are not.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...ectronics/RNR1
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which ribbon mics would you test?
My room is good.
With darker but solid, I mean: not so bright as ex U87. Where modified examples are sometimes not very solid in the lower frequenz - regarding to some of the test here @ GS.

It's a mystery...
The AT-4080 would be worth a try..Very warm..
Old 23rd October 2013
Mic = Peluso 2247SE
Preamp = A Designs Pacifica
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Britney Spears uses a Manley Cardioid Ref mic. You can pick this mic up up used for $2K. However, you should not overlook a Neumann U87 which is an excellent general all rounder.

As far as a mic pre goes, there are some amazing contenders: NPNG, Hardy (M1, or Twin Servo), Buzz Audio MA.2, GML, Great River, BAE. Dual channel versions of these micpres can be picked up used for $2K each. NPNG, Hardy, BAE and Great River also do a single rack channel version for much less.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Britney Spears uses a Manley Cardioid Ref mic. You can pick this mic up up used for $2K. However, you should not overlook a Neumann U87 which is an excellent general all rounder.

As far as a mic pre goes, there are some amazing contenders: NPNG, Hardy (M1, or Twin Servo), Buzz Audio MA.2, GML, Great River, BAE. Dual channel versions of these micpres can be picked up used for $2K each. NPNG, Hardy, BAE and Great River also do a single rack channel version for much less.
Thanks!
But does Britney still use a Manley Cardioid Ref mic, really? Are you sure?
If so, which preamp does she use?

Her vocal sound has changed quite a bit on the last album.. no?
Which one of those mentioned preamps would you get for the Manley Cardioid Ref mic?

Which preamp would you (in my chase) use for the U87, please?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Since you have a 6176 id say maybe these be good options:
Great River
Pacifica
Hardy
For more color a Vintech

That would be my short list most likely.

For mics...lol someone likes Rodes (its ok I do too!)
I love my K2 but not sure how that relates to your Classic II
My experience with super high end mics is fairly limited as i have mostly mid level mics that have been modded....
Maybe a u87
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
I personally use a Buzz Audio MA2.2 with the Cardioid Ref C and U87. Tim from Buzz Audio told me that he used a U87 as a point of reference when designing, building and testing the preamp. I have other preamps (Neve, Manley and Amek) but the MA2.2 is my preferred preamp (go to one) for these mics. It has transformer and transformerless options. Even SM58s sound great through it. My vintage AMS St250 also sounds great through it. It has sufficient gain for lo-Z mics and is quiet as self noise goes.

I would imagine that the NPNG, Hardy and Great River would be excellent choices too. I have heard some amazing vocals recorded with an NPNG and C12 mic. I have read some rave reviews about those preamps too. You should ask if you can try the preamps before you commit to purchasing one. Tim from Buzz Audio built one and sent it to me to try out. I decided to buy it within minutes of using it. I have not suffered from any post-purchase dissonance since buying it. It suits my needs. I wish you all the best finding a preamp that suits your needs.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

I would describe the neve range of mics. they do a ribbon and an sdc.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

Which one of those mentioned preamps would you get for the Manley Cardioid Ref mic?

Yes she does as does just about every female pop vocalist today (so it seems!)

I use a RefC daily.
Depending in application, these preamps work very well
TG CHANNEL MKII ( my favourite)
AMS Neve 1073 ( less DE-essing)
Manley Langevin DVC ( voice over/male baritone)
Daking (most well rounded all purpose)
Trident 4T ( bg-vox /excellent strip)

It's hard to get a bad take with this microphone, if I we're preamp shopping today, I think Great River would get a good long hard look in from me, and certainly the Aurora.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you buy a Ref C mic contact Bowie on GS to get a Telefunken tube for it. He is the tube guru. That tube makes the highs so sweet and smooth.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you buy a Ref C mic contact Bowie on GS to get a Telefunken tube for it. He is the tube guru. That tube makes the highs so sweet and smooth.
Strongly concur in this. I use a 1968NOS TELEFUNKEN ECC83 smooth plate and it's a much richer, detailed high end capture. The stock 12AT7 is a but thin for my taste, however, when using this at7 tube, and passing through a tube preamp, it's beautiful as well.
Leaning toward the Chandler sonic pallete, I choose to use the TFunk tube for a really balanced , perhaps what some would call "modern" sound, with the added weight in the bottom and (again), detailed highs with a very warm presence. Awe inspiring microphone either way you approach it.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

I believe that the talent of the artist (or his/her voice characteristics) are more important that the preamp... also every voice (source) has its mic... a Manley Ref will definitely lead you in that pop-modern-bright direction, but doesn't mean you'll end up with Britney Spears sound (for exemple)..

Even if the end result is a sum of all the processes involved: singer-room-mic-pre-eq-comp-fx-converters... so everything contribuites to the final results, and preamps play also an important role (there are drastic differences sometimes), but IMHO (and IME) less than the talent of the singer, the room and the mic chosen... you might have the same mic and preamps used by david bowie, but without him it will be very hard to hit that voice/interpretation.. just another exemple..you got my point..

Try to find the right mic for the singer (and for the desired sonic/production goal), this is very important IME.. I'm not saying that the Manley is not not the right choice...probably is.. just wanted to point out that the mic should be "matched" to the source and your goals.

That said, a U87 is a pretty good mic.. works fine on a lot of sources, that's probably why it became a standard..
but there are other nice choices between 2 and 3k.. (Violet Design Amethyst Vintage, Brauner Valvet X, Flea's, some Beesneez, Manley's.. etc.. many choices, all different and great sounding imo).

So... any good and well made preamp will do.. I do love Avedis MA5's and/or BAE stuff, so rather coloured stuff..these are great imo.. I believe these will fit nicely for your purposes.. for "cleaner" results Forssell, John Hardy M1 or an APA Juggernaut on nickel-nickel will be my choices.
<<<< (fwiw below my avatar there's a link to some reviews that I wrote about some preamps and mics..)

I strongly suggest to ask a dealer and get a couple of mics and preamps in your place and evaluate with your own ears before you buy (and maybe with the vocals/source you intend to record with).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Which U87?
The original with a single FET...
Because the U87ai is very different, and obviously was NOT around in the 70's...
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Which U87?
The original with a single FET...
Because the U87ai is very different, and obviously was NOT around in the 70's...
Neumann U87 (the original - 2nd hand)
Old 6th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Mic = Peluso 2247SE
Preamp = A Designs Pacifica
You can't be serious.
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Well, it's always fun spending other people's money!

$4,000 you say? Vocals, horns, percussion & guitar?

If it were me, I'd be looking to buy a good 2-ch preamp so you can record anything in stereo, and spend the rest on adding a bit more quality and diversity to your mic cabinet.

How about something like:

DAV BG1 = $600
Beyer M160 = $700
Gefell M930 x2 Stereo set = $2,800
Old 6th January 2014
I'd buy a GML channel strip. It has the GML preamp plus EQ.

You'll find yourself using it on everything. The mic pre is great with keyboards and, obviously, amazing with any microphone. The EQ is a work of genius

Nick Froome
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

i have recently purchased a great river preamp and a lauten audio atlantis and were stunned by the results from both!
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
Since you have a 6176 id say maybe these be good options:
Great River
Pacifica
Hardy
For more color a Vintech

That would be my short list most likely.

For mics...lol someone likes Rodes (its ok I do too!)
I love my K2 but not sure how that relates to your Classic II
My experience with super high end mics is fairly limited as i have mostly mid level mics that have been modded....
Maybe a u87
I second this. The Pacifica is crushing for me, and I do a lot of the same style work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search