The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
0db VU ?
Old 22nd October 2013
0db VU ?

I have a steinberg UR824 interface , but i dont know at what DBFS , the converters are calibrated ?

How does this matter if the a/d or d/a is calibrated at -18dbfs or -15dbfs or anything in between ? Does this have to do anything with how I record mic or line input ?

currently i just use mic or line input , make sure my preamp on the ur824 is not clipping and record into cubase at -6dbfs .

will knowing where my a/d is calibrated , change anything in the way i record ? or does this matter and I need to know when im stressing my converters ?

i just dont get the idea of calibrating a -dbfs to 0db VU ?

can someone please explain this concept and how it can be used and why it would be necessary ?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Check out this thread and be patient, it is quite long. There is valuable info regarding your question. I would send an email to Steinberg and ask if they don't tell you in the literature. I had to write Universal Audio asking the same about the Apollo.

The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored)
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

^ It's a good resource, but I also think some of that stuff is overblown. For the home recordist conservative levels that aren't clipping and aren't so low as to be noisy are completely fine, imho.
Old 23rd October 2013
concepts of gain staging that work for analog can't really be implemented for digital audio. even if youre using outboard gear , the moment there is conversion into numbers and bit depth comes into play , analog tricks don't work.

atleast from what I have experienced in my 10 years of mixing. just don't understand this converter -xdbfs calibration .
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersync.09 View Post
I have a steinberg UR824 interface , but i dont know at what DBFS , the converters are calibrated ?

How does this matter if the a/d or d/a is calibrated at -18dbfs or -15dbfs or anything in between ? Does this have to do anything with how I record mic or line input ?

currently i just use mic or line input , make sure my preamp on the ur824 is not clipping and record into cubase at -6dbfs .
Yeah peaks at -6 is ok.
The UR824 is -18DBFS=0VU. (a Digi 003 for example is -14DBFS) If you use an internal sig generator and/or software metering to calibrate your system, the sig generator/meters calibration should be set at -18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersync.09 View Post
will knowing where my a/d is calibrated , change anything in the way i record ? or does this matter and I need to know when im stressing my converters ?

i just dont get the idea of calibrating a -dbfs to 0db VU ?

can someone please explain this concept and how it can be used and why it would be necessary ?
At -18DBFS=0VU there is 18 db of headroom above 0VU before digital fullscale (clipping). Don't really have to worry about it, just record "reasonable" levels. Lots of headroom at 24bits.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search