The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap but good London tracking rooms
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Cheap but good London tracking rooms

Any recommendations for cheap but good tracking rooms in London?

I know a few in the £400-£500 range, but the budget's only £250-£300 for this project.

It's for a live band: Drums, bass, guitar & vocals.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

PM'ed you.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
PM'ed you.
Thanks for the PM, but I never received a reply.

Seems like there are no cheap but good studios in London...

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Miloco studios used to do a last minute rate at some studios. I'm pretty sure they have some studios that would be in the £200-300/day rate for dry hire. Send the Miloco office an email and ask.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
Miloco studios used to do a last minute rate at some studios. I'm pretty sure they have some studios that would be in the £200-300/day rate for dry hire. Send the Miloco office an email and ask.
What do you mean by "dry hire"?
I understand that to mean an empty room where you bring in your own recording gear?
We need a studio with equipment!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry, typing at speed while doing several things at once, brain not engaged. I meant without engineer rather than without equipment.

But I suggest asking the studios themselves rather than me. I've sent you a PM.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Nut

For the benefit of others, I've found this place which looks really good...
Old 27th October 2013
Old 28th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravit Dinchy View Post
What do you mean by "dry hire"?
I understand that to mean an empty room where you bring in your own recording gear?
We need a studio with equipment!
Dry hire is the facility without people.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Dry hire is the facility without people.
Rubbish. It's when you rent an empty room and install your own equipment.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Ilkatron

Just been mixing a band recorded at Ilkatron, excellent sound, get in touch with Ben, well worth it.
Old 28th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rubbish. It's when you rent an empty room and install your own equipment.
That would be er, um, a very dry hire. :-)

Dry hire on my planet is room plus gear without engineer. Their facility, bring your own clue how to use it.

Extra sexy gear is extra $$$.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
That would be er, um, a very dry hire. :-)

Dry hire on my planet is room plus gear without engineer. Their facility, bring your own clue how to use it.

Extra sexy gear is extra $$$.
Don't want to argue the toss, but I just hate people using the wrong terminology.

A studio without engineer is just called "without engineer". Very common because most pro sessions use freelance engineers, so you just rent a studio with an assistant. (Although not always an assistant!)

"Dry Hire" is a when a facility has an empty room and rents it out on a long-term basis to a producer who installs his own gear.
It is a newish term which came about due to more and more studios struggling to survive.
They keep the main room, strip out the gear in the other rooms and rent them out long term.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't want to argue the toss, but I just hate people using the wrong terminology.
Since when did your interpretation of 'Dry Hire' become an absolute term?
Plus, you mention that it is a relatively new term in your neck of the woods - according to those who have imbued it's meaning.

You're gonna be doing a great deal of hating if you have issues with semantics...
Old 28th October 2013

Double post
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

It is simply the correct term.

Example: Long Term Let Studios - Miloco Studios - 19 dry hire rooms to rent ...

That is all.
Old 28th October 2013

@ Gravit Have a word with Jason Emberton - he has a new studio on Shepherds Bush called Lone Pine. Just updated his facebook page with contact details:

/lonepinestudios

Also contact GS member Steve Honest - he's in the East End - got some nice juicy gear!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
@ Gravit Have a word with Jason Emberton - he has a new studio on Shepherds Bush called Lone Pine. Just updated his facebook page with contact details:

/lonepinestudios
Thanks, but that looks way too small for a 4 piece band!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Try and get hold of the guys at Fishfactory studios (word of mouth no publicity kind of place) Its in Willesden. Mixed some tracks recorded there recently which had great room sounds and in your price range (don't hold me to that though). They've also got an API board! Proper studio with a decent rate although subsequently constantly booked!

Miloco have a couple of rooms that might suit depending on genre? If you need a big room sound its harder but for a tighter vibe there are a few options. They might do you a deal! Its always worth calling around a few places and seeing what they've got short notice. Hard to plan but can get some great deals.

They're are quite a few little studios in Hackney/Bethnal Green area worth a look too, a couple advertise on Gumtree and look decent.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Nut

Doesn't need to be huge, and I'm trying to avoid the type of place that advertises in Gumtree!
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Resident (Willesden/Dollis Hill) used to be good. Nice live room. Saw it up for sale a couple of weeks ago, so not sure of current status...

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 29th October 2013
No idea what the rate card is like but good guys here: Orgone Studios
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'v e recorded a few bands in RMS Studios in south London.

Home

Andy's been around for 30 years.

certainly a 'funky' studio rather than state of the art :D

MC
Old 29th October 2013
http://www.sublime-uk.co.uk/

This guy has very nice gear like V72s and so on but mainly he is a great and experienced engineer who has worked with many big names in US and UK. Very easy to work with. I know him well and he is top notch.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
No idea what the rate card is like but good guys here: Orgone Studios
looking at their studio photos, I was thinking this looks like it'd be a good studio for metal.

then their client list proved me right - some big names there like Electric Wizard, Cathedral ... If I ever need to record some stoner rock or doom metal I'll know where to go... cheers for the link
Old 30th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
looking at their studio photos, I was thinking this looks like it'd be a good studio for metal.

then their client list proved me right - some big names there like Electric Wizard, Cathedral ... If I ever need to record some stoner rock or doom metal I'll know where to go... cheers for the link
Jaimie, their engineer, is surprisingly well-versed across a lot of genres. Definitely metal is the speciality but I've heard some work he's done that's on the opposite end of the musical spectrum.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Famous Yard View Post
sublimerecording

This guy has very nice gear like V72s and so on but mainly he is a great and experienced engineer who has worked with many big names in US and UK. Very easy to work with. I know him well and he is top notch.
We won't be needing an engineer, as I'll be doing it!
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
Resident (Willesden/Dollis Hill) used to be good. Nice live room. Saw it up for sale a couple of weeks ago, so not sure of current status...

Sent from my GT-I9300
Looks interesting, has anyone worked there?
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Not done any sessions. Used to rehearse there with a band a few years back. The live room is nice, which is always the primary concern for me. Less by way of great gear unless lots has changed since then.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 11th November 2013
You can probably get my old studio The Chairworks for around £300 a day without an engineer...

You gotta travel to leeds, but then it is residential...

And way better spec than any similarly priced London studio....

The Chairworks - residential recording studio complex.

Prism Converters, SSL G+.

More outboard than you can find the time to use... Amazing live room, many great microphones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search