profire 2626 input volume very low
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

profire 2626 input volume very low

Been trying to figure out why:
A bass
An acoustic guitar
and a microphone

all with 1/4 jacks, are metering very low through input 1 and 2 at the front.

mic/inst button pressed in
volume knob up full
only getting around -30db

HELP :(
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

do you have te knob pulled out for -20 pad?
what kind of pickup on acoustic?
what happens with electric guitar?

Mic with 1/4" will likely be impedance mismatch.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
To start with - try plugging your microphone into the mic input (XLR) so that it doesn't bypass the mic preamp.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

I was using team viewer to help out an ex student. (team viewer allows me to remote to his computer).
He tryed the -20db pad.
Not sure about the pickup (but its also super low signal for the bass).
Mic with 1/4 is going to send a low signal anyway but its the same as above.
I don't think he has an XLR lead.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayendra View Post
I was using team viewer to help out an ex student. (team viewer allows me to remote to his computer).
He tryed the -20db pad.
Not sure about the pickup (but its also super low signal for the bass).
Mic with 1/4 is going to send a low signal anyway but its the same as above.
I don't think he has an XLR lead.
Mic with 1/4 inch is not going to work with the profire! Do you understand what the difference between mic/line level is? The front jack inputs might not even be balanced.

Tell your student to get an XLR cable.

Solve the mic issue first so that you can confirm that everything in the chain is working correctly. Otherwise no one can possible guess what you guys are doing wrong
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Yeah thanks I know the difference.
I was just concerned that the inputs are meant to be hi-z with a guitar plug for bass and guitar.
The mic I wasn't concerned with as I knew that would be the case.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Okay ....
the disadvantage of not being in the room.
He had the cords in the rear inputs - non hi-z line level inputs.
Somewhere we lost communication that the front ports were only XLR - he didn't see the combo jack/XLR - was thinking the front knob and mic/inst switch would effect the rear inputs.
Phone call next time.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

<sigh> I get so tired of newbies who don't even read the manuals... One should not need to even mention that. Does he know where a key goes in a car? Sorry, not putting you down, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Page 5 of the user guide:
"Two 1/4” (TS) front panel instrument input jacks"
Page 6:
Front Panel
1 Instrument Inputs (Channels 1/2): These unbalanced 1/4” jacks are used for connecting high impedance instrument-level signals (i e , electric guitars and basses) to ProFire 2626 When using these inputs, make sure that the Mic/Inst (2) button is set to its “in” position in order to route the associated instrument input to the preamp

What do you suppose those two holes in the front panel labeled 1 and 2 are for? Pencil holders?

Say, did you read the stats at the bottom of the main GS page? Two days ago there were 16,700 somethng people on all at once! Wonder how many were newbs and how many oldfolx... how many musicians and how many engineers?
Old 23rd October 2013
The "instrument level" switches arent the issue here: on this soundcard, the 1/4" jack inputs bypass the preamps completely. You just get a line level input with them. An absolute pain in the arse. This isn't in the manual, and isn't in any of the sales literature. I had to find it out from their support forum after I'd bought it. I sold it and got an RME. Problem solved.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I found that out by using it that the line ins are bypassing pre and level control, but when I use them I have control on the console. Sounds good for mic ins though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search