The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problem with: Duet or Power Supply
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Problem with: Duet or Power Supply

I have a couple MXL V69's and an Apogee Duet (older model using firewire).

Last night the MXL was very quiet and sounded great. Tonight an awful electronic noise, like someone tuning a ham radio, came out of both mics.

I have a SM58 that I hooked up and with or without phantom power it sounded just fine.

So I went back to the MXL and the noise was still very prevalent. So I turned the power off and the noise was still there. I disconnected the 7-pin cable and the noise was still there. I unplugged the xlr cable and the noise stopped. I plugged it back in and the noise started. I UNPLUGGED the power cord from the power supply and the noise stopped.

The same with the other power supply. Same exact deal.

I used 3 different power cables. Same deal.

I am using my APC Battery Backup/Surge protector which appears to working fine.

I am NOT using phantom power for the MXL's.

I am wondering if the Duet is having problems with the power coming into it. It was fine last night. I have unplugged it, turned the computer off. I can actually hear the mouse move through my headphones. Whenever I move the mouse I hear a high pitched buzz. The computer seems fine.

I'm using the same input for all my tests but it happens on both inputs on the Duet.

I tried Garage Band and Logic Pro using Maestro2.

One mic had a stock tube the other has an NOS tube.

I don't think it's either cable. I don't think its the mics or the tubes. I don't think it any connecting wires to the Duet.

Hard to believe that both power supplies would just automatically do bad. Or both mics. That leaves the Duet which is working great for everything else. Or the computer.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
Tom
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

OK not power supply or duet... probably

I happened to accidentally unplug the computer monitor and silence occurred... beautiful silence. I tried the MXL and it sounded just as it should.

So now I'm guessing I have a hardware issue with either the video card or the sound card.

I tried a different monitor and it did the same thing. It also went silent when unplugging the xga cable.

I have a laptop I'll try it on tomorrow. If I get the same thing then perhaps it is the Duet. Crazy.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

That's happened to me before. I had another screen plugged in to my laptop and I couldn't figure out where the buzz was coming from. I ended up having to work on one screen because the video cable was causing the noise.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
That's happened to me before. I had another screen plugged in to my laptop and I couldn't figure out where the buzz was coming from. I ended up having to work on one screen because the video cable was causing the noise.
Thank you for the reply.

When I hooked it up to the laptop it did the same thing. Or something similar enough to make it unusable.

So now that narrows it down to the Duet or the actual MXL power supply.

Does the ps-69 (power supply for the MXL v69) come with a special power cord? I have tried 3 different cords and none make a difference. On one Power Supply the switch says 110V and the other Power Supply says 115V. The cords all say 125V.

Is it possible that the Duet is having trouble with the current from the MXL power supply? I have two power supply's and they are either both bad. I am using the wrong cable for them or the Duet is having issues.

The Duet sounds fine with everything else and seems to work normally.

At least I know that the computer and the cables are OK. But I get this feeling if I got a new audio interface that it would still happen and then if I got a new power supply it would STILL happen.

I did download new Apogee software because I upgraded my OS but I think I used the mics a few times after I installed the software.

Still, if kind of bizarre that the noise completely disappears if I unplug the monitor... either from the outlet or the computer.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

What kind of cable are you using for your computer monitor? That was the problem on mine. Are you working on a desktop or a laptop?
Old 25th October 2013
Here for the gear

It was the Duet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
What kind of cable are you using for your computer monitor? That was the problem on mine. Are you working on a desktop or a laptop?
Thanks for your help.

I bought a Focusrite 2i2 and it solved the problem. So I am not 100% certain that the Duet was the problem but everything I have now is working in harmony... lol I feel very fortunate that it worked because the next step probably would have been a new video card... All the cables tested fine...

For anyone interested, keeping in mind that I just got it, I think the Focusrite is a huge value and I don't hear a significant difference between it and the Duet (the original version). I think the Duet might sound better/cleaner based on a few test recordings I had made a few days ago (before I was having issues) and now. But I am recording in an untreated space and the recordings were obviously done on different days. Still the difference, to me, is almost imperceptible. Very happy with the purchase and it came with free Tascam TH-02 headphones...
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycaesar View Post
Thanks for your help.

I bought a Focusrite 2i2 and it solved the problem. So I am not 100% certain that the Duet was the problem but everything I have now is working in harmony... lol I feel very fortunate that it worked because the next step probably would have been a new video card... All the cables tested fine...

For anyone interested, keeping in mind that I just got it, I think the Focusrite is a huge value and I don't hear a significant difference between it and the Duet (the original version). I think the Duet might sound better/cleaner based on a few test recordings I had made a few days ago (before I was having issues) and now. But I am recording in an untreated space and the recordings were obviously done on different days. Still the difference, to me, is almost imperceptible. Very happy with the purchase and it came with free Tascam TH-02 headphones...
Glad you solved your problem
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search