The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
how to achieve this vocal sound?
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

how to achieve this vocal sound?

I need some advice on how to get this vocal sound.. it sounds very driven and comrpessed... and the reverb sounds huge... but i can't seem to get it right!

thanks

Wilkinson - Afterglow - YouTube
Old 22nd October 2013
Maybe you don't have her voice or ability?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

In pure technical terms, this sounds to me like it was originally recorded on a LDC with a clean path. From their it sounds like it was equally'd either outboard in the box and then limited into nearly complete submission with only the intent of leaving hard consonant transients the ability to get through the limiter.

There is really nothing special about the actual process. If you have a decent singer, a LDC
And a computer it should be easy to replicate. The only thing of importance that I can hear would to make the verb the last stage so it doesn't get mangled in the process. The breaths are as loud as the vocals, which leads me to believe this has more to do with limiting or compression.

In other words, it is an effect driven sound with a decent singer.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

thanks you very much! i'll try your advice!
Old 22nd October 2013
I think Mr 4 posts is simply driving traffic to that unremarkable utube clip ... the question and response are pathetically fake.

So you "can't get it right?" ... have you, perhaps, even recorded a vocal at all? Never thought to try the most commonly used type of microphone into a computer with some compression and reverb?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Kiwi,

Maybe you're right. I didn't even look to check how many posts. I hope I didn't just waste my time and simple thoughts on something so basic. If so, oh well, I guess.

Overall though, you're right. Just another typical song for that genre, nothing special. On the other hand, if this really is some newb, maybe it helped. Sometimes my natural born cynicism gives way to moments of generosity.
Old 20th February 2014
Here for the gear

yeah right, like if a track with almost 10 million plays needs 3 more plays form here...

Thanks LFlood.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search