The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VGA question - need expert VGA advice - can pay!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

VGA question - need expert VGA advice - can pay!

Sorry if this is not the right place but I'm not sure where to ask this question.
We have an 1980s analog console that saves automation files to an old nuBus Mac LCII running OS 7. The Mac has a Mav Video output.
We extended the monitor from the machine room to the control room with a Geffen ExtendIt TSE100R which extends the ADB keyboard and mouse signal as well as the video signal. We convert the Mac Video signal to a VGA with a Belkin mac-vga f3h1381 adapter and we use a Samsung SynchMaster 191T. This setup has worked for years but we need to change our VGA monitor and none of the more recent VGA monitors we tried seem to work (whether they are an Acer H233H 23" or a Dell E177FPb 17"). We believe it is an issue of sync and pin outs but we have no clue about VGA. The dip switches on the Belkin adapter are supposed to help but I can't figure out the right position.
Can anyone out there help us out?
Anyone know anything about VGA or anyone know somebody I can call or get down here (NYC) to fix it for us?
Thanks!
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Maniac

anyone?
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
If your old monitor worked fine - then it could be more of an issue with resolution and refresh rate settings on the computer. Try didn't resolutions and refresh rates and see if that works
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, a Nubus era Mac would be really limited on resolution, AND color depth...in that day, you would have to put it on like 256 colors to get the higher resolutions.

Does the old one still work? If so, boot it up and look at the available resolutions...it's possible that the widescreen flat panels' lowest Rez is higher than the Mac's highest. I'd also take the extender out of the equation--obviously for troubleshooting. It could be that whatever detection goes on in the Mac is thrown by the extender. Maybe once it gets itself set to a resolution, you can put the extender back on...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search