The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great River to Compressor
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Great River to Compressor

Probably sounds foolish, but I have never worked with an outboard compressor.

I just purchased the Pbc-6a, and have a question on connecting the two.

The line out on the Great River is Unbalanced -10 DBv (1/4 jack), while the line in on the pbc-6a is balanced xlr.

Does that mean I should run a TRS from the GR line out to an XLR input on the Pbc?
Would I have to connect anything to my Rosetta 800? Or would that simply include it in the chain? I read on here that I may have to run from the Pbc output to the Apogee Rosetta 800 input via XLR. The apogee is already running a AES cable with XLR female cables from its input, so I would just connect the XLR from the compressor to that?

Is any of this making sense or am I on the wrong track?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

different ways to connect great river mp, eq-2nv and distressor

The line above is a link to an older thread about this topic. Fletcher, who helped develop the preamp with Dan Kennedy talks in a very long post about the PATCH POINT Vs the alternate 1/4" I/O and the main XLR I/O.

Read it twice over, take a look at the rear and post again if you have anymore questions, but remember that you can use the search button on this forum as well to find older threads which might answer a question before you need to post about it.

Still no worries! Just substitute "Distressor" with PBC-6a. The other FMR series compressors work easily enough as well if you have any.
IF you go further down the thread there are longer tangents but it's pretty thorough. Fletcher is good like that.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Hey man, thanks for stepping in to help. The problem with the search button is that you find 15 different answers to a 2 choice question. Fletcher is reccomending using the patch to connect everything, but I have read that will not be optimal as the compressor will then be the first and only signal of my levels. If I was to use the output port instead, I would see the gain staging on all pieces of equipment. Not to mention this does not adress if I have to route everything back into the AD of my Rosetta. I am now utterly confused lol.

If you could maybe clarify for me and help me understand, it would be appreciated.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Dan Kennedy also says something different here, even though that still doesn't fully answer my question.

According to Dan, what kind of cables should I be using? An unbalanced cable for the output of the GR and a balanced XLR for the input of the PBC-6A?

What about the Rosetta?

FMR PBC-6a to Great River ME-1NV Connection
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeyb View Post
Hey man, thanks for stepping in to help. The problem with the search button is that you find 15 different answers to a 2 choice question. Fletcher is reccomending using the patch to connect everything, but I have read that will not be optimal as the compressor will then be the first and only signal of my levels. If I was to use the output port instead, I would see the gain staging on all pieces of equipment. Not to mention this does not adress if I have to route everything back into the AD of my Rosetta. I am now utterly confused lol.

If you could maybe clarify for me and help me understand, it would be appreciated.
Then try it both ways. Try the Patch and see how you like it...and then try linking it direct in series and see if that floats your boat for you.

The Patch comes in handy if there's an EQ-2NV involved though, as that allows you for some interesting combinations.

And you're welcome...but I do have one thing to say about the search function, if you find there's just too many articles, try using Google instead with the phrase you're looking for, or a couple variations on it.

There should be a link that says "See similar articles" underneath the top ones that come up as long as "Gearslutz" is in the header.

That might narrow things down much faster in some cases to five or six articles to check.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dan Kennedy also says something different here, even though that still doesn't fully answer my question.

According to Dan, what kind of cables should I be using? An unbalanced cable for the output of the GR and a balanced XLR for the input of the PBC-6A?

What about the Rosetta?

FMR PBC-6a to Great River ME-1NV Connection
TIP RING SLEEVE CABLES or TIP AND RING...the patch point in the GR is balanced. But the other end of that connector might have to be unbalanced depending. An FMR RNC and RNLA have unbalanced patch points so your balanced patch might have to split with a Y connector if you're using both sides of it on one channel. Otherwise you can use unbalanced cables, one on each side if you're going for something stereo. through the mic pre.

The PBC-6a will have a manual, in there you'll see if the patch points are balanced or unbalanced.
Old 21st October 2013
Why not just XLR balanced out of Great River, into XLR balanced in of FMR? It's simple and a common cable. And it stays fully balanced. The 1/4 inch on the Great River is -10 unbalanced, why would you not use the balanced output?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Nathan, that is what I would love to do, but my GR out is used for my Rosetta 800.

That is why I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. For some reason, even with all this advice I am still not entirely sure how to do it.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
TIP RING SLEEVE CABLES or TIP AND RING...the patch point in the GR is balanced. But the other end of that connector might have to be unbalanced depending. An FMR RNC and RNLA have unbalanced patch points so your balanced patch might have to split with a Y connector if you're using both sides of it on one channel. Otherwise you can use unbalanced cables, one on each side if you're going for something stereo. through the mic pre.

The PBC-6a will have a manual, in there you'll see if the patch points are balanced or unbalanced.
Okay, so I am going to run a TS cable from the GR out to an XLR on the PBC-6a input. Then an XLR from the PBC output to the XLR on the Rosetta in.

Seems to make sense or no?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, so I am going to run a TS cable from the GR out to an XLR on the PBC-6a input. Then an XLR from the PBC output to the XLR on the Rosetta in.

Seems to make sense or no?

You can do it that way...but you can also run XLR. (XLR have a Tip, a Ring, and a Sleeve as well.)

If you're just running in series run the XLR output to the XLR input of the compressor. Mic > Pre > Compressor > AD Converter

If you're patching it, Run TPS 1/4" cables balanced / unbalanced as the PBC6a warrants (I can't remember offhand if it's got unbalanced or balanced I/O for patching you will have to read the manual for a minute to see.

If that's the case then it's Mic > Pre (With the Compressor Patched to the Pre ~) > AD Converter.

If it helps, try drawing the signal flow like a simple diagram. Think of Patching like Inserts on a console.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
You can do it that way...but you can also run XLR. (XLR have a Tip, a Ring, and a Sleeve as well.)

If you're just running in series run the XLR output to the XLR input of the compressor. Mic > Pre > Compressor > AD Converter

If you're patching it, Run TPS 1/4" cables balanced / unbalanced as the PBC6a warrants (I can't remember offhand if it's got unbalanced or balanced I/O for patching you will have to read the manual for a minute to see.

If that's the case then it's Mic > Pre (With the Compressor Patched to the Pre ~) > AD Converter.

If it helps, try drawing the signal flow like a simple diagram. Think of Patching like Inserts on a console.
Finally it is made clear to me. Sorry I couldn't wrap my head around it before.

Is there any suggestion as to which way is better?

What if I wanted to print with the PBC on the 2 bus? Would either configuration be more beneficial?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally it is made clear to me. Sorry I couldn't wrap my head around it before.

Is there any suggestion as to which way is better?

What if I wanted to print with the PBC on the 2 bus? Would either configuration be more beneficial?
XLR cables are easier to keep dust free (clean connections that don't crackle)

Also they usually latch, or are harder to yank out by accident.

TPS 1/4" and unbalanced 1/4" are fine, but in this case (as outlined by Fletcher) both the 1/4" I/O AND the 1/4" patch points will operate at slightly lower level.

Gain-staging (the level between units) is a critical element to pro engineering in general...so don't discount them, experiment. Go with with what feels right to you...and remember that you still have these routing options when you start to introduce other gear. (It's healthy to experiment, and treat every new element as something you need to learn about from the ground up. This way you'll always find the sweet spots with how gear interacts.)
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
Great. I really want to thank you again for spending a lot of time helping me. After taking all your advice into account, and for anyone reading this in the future looking for help, I have decided to do the following:

VIA XLR : Mic -> GR -> PBC-6a -> Rosetta 800 -> (ADAT) Profire 2626 -> FW CPU

If that does not make sense to anyone, please correct me !!!!!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great. I really want to thank you again for spending a lot of time helping me. After taking all your advice into account, and for anyone reading this in the future looking for help, I have decided to do the following:

VIA XLR : Mic -> GR -> PBC-6a -> Rosetta 800 -> (ADAT) Profire 2626 -> FW CPU

If that does not make sense to anyone, please correct me !!!!!
That makes sense to me. Are you using Pro Tools?
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Nathan, that is what I would love to do, but my GR out is used for my Rosetta 800.

That is why I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. For some reason, even with all this advice I am still not entirely sure how to do it.
What do you mean 'it is used for your Rosetta'? If you want the compressor in series, after the Great River, then it would go Great River -- compressor -- Rosetta, all connected via XLR balanced. Maybe I missed something in what you needed.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
What do you mean 'it is used for your Rosetta'? If you want the compressor in series, after the Great River, then it would go Great River -- compressor -- Rosetta, all connected via XLR balanced. Maybe I missed something in what you needed.
I believe for some reason the MAudio 2626 is actually his main device.

If he's got an older version of PT maybe there's a restriction (pre version 9) I can see needing to ADAT things around....or a computer that needs to connect via USB.

It's all XLR up until the ADAT cable. But I would want the Rosetta to be the main converter if possible.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
I actually use REAPER and Ableton, but the reason for using the profire is as a dongle between my PC and the Rosetta. It pretty much only serves as a bridge, because I bypass the converters and pres anyways.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
It's so hard to remember every little detail lol, but I believe I did it that way because the Rosetta did not have any 64 bit support. So my entire system could not recognize it or work together, while the profire does.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's so hard to remember every little detail lol, but I believe I did it that way because the Rosetta did not have any 64 bit support. So my entire system could not recognize it or work together, while the profire does.
That's fair. You should think about maybe selling both and getting an RME UFX, which will be cross compatible with both MAC and PC systems no matter what you use in the future, and will also be a sonic upgrade.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
That's fair. You should think about maybe selling both and getting an RME UFX, which will be cross compatible with both MAC and PC systems no matter what you use in the future, and will also be a sonic upgrade.
Interesting! Never heard of it, I will check it out right now.

Paid $2480 (that was CHEAP at the time!) for the Rosetta 800 a few years back. Thing is killing me in depreciation now lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search