The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Writing/producing on headphones vs monitors
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Writing/producing on headphones vs monitors

I had an interesting discovery recently. For the most part I have been writing and producing in my studio via my 3 monitors. It's worked fine but I never really turn things up that loud usually because when I mix, I'm mixing at very low levels. So it's a habit to keep things at a low volume more than anything else.

However, recently I switched to writing and producing on headphones. Not only have I gotten more work done but I work longer and I'm more inspired for longer. Maybe it's because I'm "closer" to the music?

Either way, I'm getting more work done on headphones. I never thought it would make a difference but it seems to be. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
I like doing mixing on headphones straight out of the gate. I have a pair of Equator D5 near-field monitors, so I can't always hear the very bottom end on those. I like to solidify the bottom end on my headphones (they are 20Hz - 20kHz) and get things fairly solid in those, and then switch to my monitors to finish the rest. I find it easier to polish the mids and highs on the monitors.

But yes...I do like doing some work on my headphones. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm very used to my headphones, and have listened to countless records on them. Familiarity is in and of itself is a huge advantage sonically.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

I often compose on headphones because it feels more private

Sent from my i-mobile IQ1-1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search