The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio size
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Studio size

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to build a studio in my basement and the room size is 2x2 meters and the height is 2.35m. Is that enough for a studio? Will the audio bounce too much? I thought about putting dry wall then Roxul's "safe n' sound" and again the drywall and then on top of it a bunch of bass traps.. And approximate width and height would be 1,70m and the table would be 1,35m.. Any suggestions? I will be using just a table and chair, nothing more, just a simple studio..

Cheers!
Old 21st October 2013
Honestly that's way too small for a studio. 2mx2m and then putting in proper drywall, etc. is going to make that already small space even smaller. It doesn't matter how much you treat that room, it'll never disperse the sound enough to do any kind of proper work that will translate to the outside world.

Obviously the choice to do it is up to you, but I wouldn't go down that path in that small of a space. You'd be better off using headphones in a regular room (with no worry of building in any sound materials).
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
I suppose it really depends on what you're looking to do in this studio.. Do you mean for this to be your control room, or a tracking floor? I'd say it's small for anything apart from a vocal booth for VO work, most likely. If you're planning on anything else in that space, I'd probably second Joshua's opinion above.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

that sounds like a nice size for a vocal booth but it's a bit small for a control room because the wall behind you is so close, even if you deaden it up a lot, the sound from your speakers will be bouncing right back.

another thing you should avoid is that 'square' shape. When the length and the width are the same you get some nasty room modes. You need to go to the acoustics forum for more specific advice, but I would think more about how you might be able to modify the shape of your room. If you can avoid right angles, that would be even better.

maybe a different part of your basement is available? The attic instead? Maybe you could knock out a wall, or move the washing machines, etc?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

The only thing more frustrating than not having a studio, is having a studio that lies to you and creates more problems than it solves. And unfortunately, if you proceed, you are heading down that path. Look elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoliki View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to build a studio in my basement and the room size is 2x2 meters and the height is 2.35m. Is that enough for a studio? Will the audio bounce too much? I thought about putting dry wall then Roxul's "safe n' sound" and again the drywall and then on top of it a bunch of bass traps.. And approximate width and height would be 1,70m and the table would be 1,35m.. Any suggestions? I will be using just a table and chair, nothing more, just a simple studio..

Cheers!
a room that small you are better off just deadening completely and then using reverb for depth.

However talk to Ethan, he's the best
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

wow so much feedback.. Thanks guys!

Well, then you stopped me from doing this crazy stuff.. I thought to use it for making EDM music, so nothing complicated.. just PC and a keyboard, but however if, as you say, the sound will bounce from back and the sound won't be nice sounding, I won't continue to make it.. I will get back to my room in flat where the neighbors are horrible lol..

Any advice on how to remove echo in the room? Because it's almost empty and when I say anything it bounces back a few times which causes problems when I'm producing.. Also what's this diffuser for? I though putting it for 500Hz to 3500Hz system and put it on my ceiling, but what's it for exactly?

Thanks to all of you!
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
wow so much feedback.. Thanks guys!

Well, then you stopped me from doing this crazy stuff.. I thought to use it for making EDM music, so nothing complicated.. just PC and a keyboard, but however if, as you say, the sound will bounce from back and the sound won't be nice sounding, I won't continue to make it.. I will get back to my room in flat where the neighbors are horrible lol..

Any advice on how to remove echo in the room? Because it's almost empty and when I say anything it bounces back a few times which causes problems when I'm producing.. Also what's this diffuser for? I though putting it for 500Hz to 3500Hz system and put it on my ceiling, but what's it for exactly?

Thanks to all of you!
A diffuser isn't going to stop sound from bouncing. It evenly spreads sound. What you are looking for are bass traps and panels to deaden the room. The thing is, it doesn't matter how much treatment you use, the area is simply too small to work in with sound. That's why I suggested using headphones instead.

If you're doing EDM then odds are you aren't mic'ing any instruments or amplifiers, you are using VIs and mixing ITB. Alleviate all your issues by purchasing a really nice interface and a pair of headphones. In this situation, that's going to be money far better spent, over trying to treat an unworkable room.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Only 2 ways to work in a room that small. Listen at the lowest volume possible (65-70db max) or use headphones. Hard to do EDM in a room that small.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Oh I made a studio in my room now, not basement because it's too small.. The room is like 3.5m x 5.5m and I thought it's nice for studio equipment.. The problem is I hear little echo when I say something, but it isn't noticeable when I'm "producing" or listening to music. But as kittonian said, I should just put bass traps on left and right wall, right? Here's a picture of the studio, so recommend me what to repair/fix/do? Thanks!

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/2M/13B/1VzBVu4s/img0101.jpg
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Oh I made a studio in my room now, not basement because it's too small.. The room is like 3.5m x 5.5m and I thought it's nice for studio equipment.. The problem is I hear little echo when I say something, but it isn't noticeable when I'm "producing" or listening to music. But as kittonian said, I should just put bass traps on left and right wall, right? Here's a picture of the studio, so recommend me what to repair/fix/do? Thanks!

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/2M/13B/1VzBVu4s/img0101.jpg
If you have at least 2.5m ceilings I would recommend placing corner traps in front of the mix position (2ftx4ft corner traps stacked 2 high), and then nice thick panels spaced about .5m apart on the left/right walls.

That's still a very small space and you want to deaden all the reflections you can.
Old 3rd January 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestion! I will do that.. And I'm thinking about new monitors, what do you think of Adam A7X , are them good for this room? I thought about putting them on the tripod near the back wall and then move the table about 1-2 meters from that wall?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search