The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Overheads/Small Room/Ribbons
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Overheads/Small Room/Ribbons

So I've been amping myself up to buy some ribbons for drum overheads, and then realized- I'm going to be recording drums in a 14x18 room with a 7 foot ceiling. The room doesn't sound horrible but it doesn't sound especially good either. There's no treatment in there.
So I'm concerned that the figure eight patterns would be less than ideal. Does anyone have any workarounds for this or should I just bite the bullet and buy some SDC's instead? Or should I get the ribbons and use them as stereo room mics a few feet out?

I suppose the M160's might be a problem solver, but for whatever reason, I find myself naturally drifting in other directions.

What do you think?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
I'm a drummer and record primarily drums. I also record in a fairly small room, but it's acoustically treated. The ceiling is about 9 feet high, so it's ok. I use SM81 as L/R overheads, and an AT4033 as a center overhead (the ol' Nigel Gordrich...)

I do know that the M160s sound GREAT for overheads and on hihats...You can either use them to spot mic the cymbals, or grab an entire image of the kit. They make your cymbals sound really warm and natural. And, with those being hypercardioids, you don't have to worry about the figure-eight or the mics picking up any weird reflections. The M160s are a great mic to have for a number of different situations.

Don't know if you're in to the band White Denim, but their drummer always uses ribbons for his overheads/cymbals/hihats. Sometimes he uses Coles, but I've seen him use M160s on many occasions. Whether you're in to White Denim or not, take one listen to any of their songs and you'll hear how great the drums sound (the drummer records/engineers/mixes a lot for the band also).
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcx08 View Post
I'm a drummer and record primarily drums. I also record in a fairly small room, but it's acoustically treated. The ceiling is about 9 feet high, so it's ok. I use SM81 as L/R overheads, and an AT4033 as a center overhead (the ol' Nigel Gordrich...)

I do know that the M160s sound GREAT for overheads and on hihats...You can either use them to spot mic the cymbals, or grab an entire image of the kit. They make your cymbals sound really warm and natural. And, with those being hypercardioids, you don't have to worry about the figure-eight or the mics picking up any weird reflections. The M160s are a great mic to have for a number of different situations.

Don't know if you're in to the band White Denim, but their drummer always uses ribbons for his overheads/cymbals/hihats. Sometimes he uses Coles, but I've seen him use M160s on many occasions. Whether you're in to White Denim or not, take one listen to any of their songs and you'll hear how great the drums sound (the drummer records/engineers/mixes a lot for the band also).
thanks for the response. I'm listening to White Denim right now and they are good. Those cymbals sound perfect too. Good advice.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcx08 View Post

+1 on the M160's. They're fantastic. Also +1 on using a center overhead aimed at the snare.

I would do a front of kick Mic and two room mics though. You can compress all three and leave your overheads more or less uncompressed.

Maybe a stereo AEA R88 as the room mic away from the kit...and some kind of condenser positioned underneath the the R88 to be the front of kick mic. (Mixwell loves that mic, I've yet to try it though...but it's cheaper than the Royer equivalents and away from the kit you'll get that huge ribbon tone without a tall ceiling.)

If you used M160's as overheads you could also get a pair of SM81's as suggested to use as the center overhead AND as the Hi-hat mic. Josephson C42's are great for this too.

The front of kick condenser doesn't have to be expensive, just something where you can really isolate low-mid range with compression and EQ.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search