The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New monitors - A little advice required! :) ADAM A7X vs. B&W CDM1NT / 705
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

New monitors - A little advice required! :) ADAM A7X vs. B&W CDM1NT / 705

Hello! First-time poster here, nice to finally be a member of such a fantastically useful forum :D

I am a university student in the UK (Audio Engineering BSc), and am currently looking to buy a new pair of monitors for mixing (which will also spend quite a lot of their time being used for casual listening too!). The room is pretty small (about 2.5m x 3.5m), and the monitors will be desk-mounted, just a few inches away from the (solid) rear wall (which sadly eliminates the possibility of rear-ported monitors - a shame, as the Dynaudio BM5A's & Audience 52SE's would otherwise be in this shortlist!).

My budget is around £500 - £600. Currently, at the top of my list is a second-hand pair of ADAM A7X's (which I understand to be, on the whole, a marked improvement over the previous A7 model (more power, greater LF extension, less port turbulence, more refined top-end, etc...)). These seem like a fantastic all-round monitor speaker for the money, which have received highly positive reviews from most folks on here, and are generally a pretty well established monitor at this price point.

I'm also very interested in the B&W CDM1NT's, which I had the pleasure of hearing once, and was blown away by. I understand that these were actually designed with monitoring in mind, and that resultantly, they're very revealing and true to the source. I feel that these would also be a good option, driven by my Turner B302 'studio monitor' amplifier. My only concern with these, is that the LF extension seems somewhat limited at +/-3db @ 60hz, -6db @ 48hz, compared to the ADAM's 42hz +/-3db (quite a significant difference). Perhaps I could spend the money saved on the A7X's on a partnering sub?

Finally, I've been intrigued by the B&W 705's, which appear on face value to be very similar to the CDM1NT's, with many of the same design principals employed, and an apparently much more extended LF response (according to the spec sheet), however I've read quite a few criticisms of this model online, claiming it sounds 'thin', and lacks some of the CDM1NT's brutal accuracy in an attempt to 'compliment' the source material better (not what you want from a monitor!). Thus, I am lead to believe that this would not be such a good option (unless anyone disagrees?)

Any advice / feedback much appreciated!
Old 21st October 2013
I haven't heard the B&W's, but I'm exceedingly happy with my Adams- very extended frequency range, super clear and revealing, decently loud and accurate at both high and low volume.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

B&W are incredible speakers though I have not heard this particular model. I vote B&W...

Sent from my ZTE N9120
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Many thanks for these two responses! One vote for each it seems.... anybody else? :D
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange1992 View Post
compared to the ADAM's 42hz +/-3db
ADAM A7X have:
51Hz @ -3 dB
50Hz @+-3dB
47Hz @ -6 dB
43Hz @-10 dB
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Finally, I've been intrigued by the B&W 705's, (...) more extended LF response
B&W - 705 - Zespo

http://audio.com.pl/pdf/testy/zespol...owe/bw_705.pdf

36Hz @-6dB (nice)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/b...r-measurements

38 Hz @6dB (still nice)
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Ah, this is most interesting! Adam only state a 43hz-50khz response on their website. Do we think the B&W's would have a weightier bottom end than the ADAM's in that case?

Big thanks for the responses thus far, much appreciated!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Adam only state a 43hz-50khz response on their website.
42Hz-50kHz and this is LOL.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I usually detest active monitors but the A7X is a very good sounding speaker. Well balanced, no hole in the lower mids or annoying exaggerated top like a lot of similar sized/priced active monitors. Never heard the two B&W models but I had a pair of old 602s for years which I was very fond of. I'd pick the A7X for work if I had to choose though.
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

A pair of 705's have just surfaced, for what seems a reasonable price... very tempted!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search